Skill Bonuses To Kerbals

This one crossed my mind after discovering the upgrade-able buildings update.

I was thinking of certain Kerbals have certain skills that improve over time as they fly more often until they reach a fixed point in that case they would have 'mastered' their skill.

For example a Kerbal that can decrease fuel consumption by 1% at first, it wouldn't be very much but after he does his first flight it rises to 1.5% (It would probably be best it will be harder to rise that over time)

Over a while of repeated flight attempts his skill rises up to a maximum of 5% which would affect Delta V by just a bit but that would just be the result of 1 Kerbal, having 3 in your pod will add quite a number of bonuses and it really gives more 'loss' as you lose your Kerbal in a crash.

If you had the Mk1-2 command pod with 3 Kerbals applying 3 different bonuses, especially if they are skill masters. Your rocket would be more effective

So far I have a few Bonuses as an Example

1-5% Bonus to Thrust from Liquid Fuel Engines/Solid Fuel Boosters/Jet Engines

5-25% Reduction to Air Intake requirement for Jet Engines

5%-25% Increased Electricity from Solar Panels

10%-30% Increase to Electricity Capacity

These I believe may make an impact to KSP's Career, Sandbox and Science mode for gameplay

Honestly, that would be a HUGE incentive to keep my Kerbal's alive! Say my Kerbal gets, I don't know 6 successful launches AND landings, he should get a perk that allows me to carry more Electricity Capacity as you said or maybe if you use TacLife Mod, allow you to carry more resources for your Kerbal(s)

Eh... There already is a skill thing going on. I just want a detailed log of what they have done.

This seems like it would be an extension of that system - and a cool one too.

5-25% Reduction to Air Intake requirement for Jet Engines

5%-25% Increased Electricity from Solar Panels

10%-30% Increase to Electricity Capacityy

I think these numbers are probably a little too high though to be balanced. If they were all around the same as the fuel usage one, possibly allowing you to stack them (with diminishing returns), I think that would be okay.

Yeah, a fair few people weren't too happy with the idea of a kerbal giving an engine a "magic ISP boost" and similar.

Yeah I guess. Realistically speaking it doesn't make any sense - for the most part the astronauts don't really know all that much about how the rocket works, they just follow instructions from mission control - but if the buffs were small enough you could probably argue e.g. a higher level kerbal will not screw up the throttle gimballing as much, etc, thus saving on fuel :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.