[.90] Inigma's I-80 Mk. III Jet (84 Kerbals) Now also a Space Shuttle Carrier! A KSP FIRST! [VIDEO]

inigma

Any chance of making the shuttle orbit capable?

The space shuttle is orbit capable. It's Westi29's Space Shuttle:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105539-Mk3-Space-Shuttle-with-Solid-Boosters-Monopropellent-OMS-and-Easy-to-Fly!

All I added was a cubic strut to give me an attachment end point so I could mate it to the I-80, and emptied its fuel tanks just like the real Shuttle was emptied when it was drop tested. Enjoy!

Great job with this plane. I wanted to try make it carry my shuttle but didn't manage to figure out how to attach it nicely, so I ended up making my own shuttle carrier, but the way you mounted your wings finally helped me figure out how to make a swept wing plane properly, so thanks!!

Great job with this plane. I wanted to try make it carry my shuttle but didn't manage to figure out how to attach it nicely, so I ended up making my own shuttle carrier, but the way you mounted your wings finally helped me figure out how to make a swept wing plane properly, so thanks!!

I'm happy to inspire! :)

Totally making one for my shuttle now! Thank you for the inspiration and great work!

You bet! You've inspired me to work on my own shuttle...except one that uses a full sized cargo bay. I borrowed your booster design and modified it (if that's ok). BTW, those wings took hours to design and tweak. No clipping effects, no gaps, not even between fuselage and wings. I doubled the wing layers into a composite that just looks amazing. I borrowed Naito's RCS quads though, no sense in reinventing the wheel. :D

gPkfRkw.png

gwGrIfJ.png

W4GBCO0.png

I'm lovin' it! Those wings are exquisite. Flies like a dream. Completed maiden voyage with empty cargo bay last night (even landed at KSC runway, no mods). This thing is powerful. Empty it would have circularized at 1000km if I let it. Time to test some cargo runs, which is the fun part!

Edited by inigma

Nicely done. hehe I think we're all borrowing bits and pieces from each other now =)

Like how your wings look, but I'm pretty happy with my new ones. Works with FAR and I've been experimenting with S-Turns during re-rentry with them, will post a video when I have time!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ah, 1.0.5... I've been working developing contracts to fit. Here's a regular grindable contract that perpetually shows up in Mission Control:

QeczqeI.png

still alpha, but it works! :D my first venture into modding.

I hope to fly the Island Hopper as seen in my OP, since this OP was really the first mk3 airliner that could prove mk3 airliners could be built, and landed, and even on the KSC Island. :) I've always wanted to make a contract to fit its purpose. Now here's one. I'll release it when I have it perfected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.