[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

The only thing I had to do in linux was make sure the OPM config file was in the TR directory. I'm running Linux Mint 64bit. (Not that I don't have other issues, such as rings and textures missing when launching from a desktop shortcut, but as long as I start the game from the install directory, all is well)

When OPM works I have a TextureReplacer folder with just TextureReplacerOPM.cfg in it.

Installing TextureReplacer does not overwrite that config file but as far as I can see in the log OPM stops loading the outer planets.

I'm going to read up on how TextureReplacer config files are handled and see if anything occurs to me.

I'm running Slackware_64-14.1

EDIT: Found possible cause in the error log.

"Texture 'OPM+/Textures/Themis_biome' is not readable"

I thought I had unloaded OPM+

This looks like an OPM+ issue

I'll do some more tests.

EDIT2:

Confirmed as an OPM+ bug

Edited by v8Dave

​Since Tellion appears to be absent, I've forked his copy of OPM 64K and updated it for 1.6.5.

I simply rescaled Polta, Priax, and Wal to 64k levels. I also adjusted Polta and Wal's densities to be a little more consistent with the real-life bodies they were based on. I left Priax alone because I'm not too sure what to base its density off of. I also didn't touch geeASL because I'm confused about what value/unit of measurement it represents. I also incorporated the various minor changes that came with 1.6 and 1.6.5 (Plock adjustments, Urlum reverse rotation, Slate height map fix, etc.). No new AVP configs since the new moons don't need them.

To be clear, this is mostly Tellion's (and of course CaptRobau's and Eudae55's) work and I am simply updating it.

HERE IT IS

Just hit the "Download ZIP" button at the right side of the page. Installation instructions are at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

geeASL is the "g force at surface level"

You can calculate it by:

geeASL = (GM)/(9.81*r^2)

Where:

M = mass of the body in kg

G = Universal Gravitational Constant = 6.6726 x 10 -11

r = Radius from Planet Center in meters

All science reports so far have been written for help with the community, so yes you can. Once I get back to finishing Urlum's moon's biome maps (after the move to Kopernicus) then I won't forget that you'll want to help. You'll probably see the call for help appear in this thread, but if you don't I'll send you a PM to remind you.

Would it be possible for me to help with this mod ? I could do the science reports for the moons.

For the next update of OPM we want to add biomes to our latest moon Tekto, the Titan analog orbiting Sarnus. We liked the crowd-sourced process a lot, so we wanted to do that again for Tekto.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J_xgrPoqJSqvvdzgOqNlwmj0aabSVGda8hZLRu9VhsE/edit

There are still some empty slots.

Sidenote: I've compared the Tekto Blurbs with OuterPlanetsScienceDefs.cfg (v.1.6.5) and some of them seem to be missing (Atmosphere Analysis).

Good !

Just saying : send a PM immediatly when you need help, because I might miss the call, as this thread grows quickly.

Sure I will

There are still some empty slots.

Sidenote: I've compared the Tekto Blurbs with OuterPlanetsScienceDefs.cfg (v.1.6.5) and some of them seem to be missing (Atmosphere Analysis).

I'll keep it in mind when I pick up the blurbs again.

I've attempted to address the issue of importing the progress tree here (stock bodies will preserve, custom ones default to generating their own)

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/commit/bc72f0df09c9157868e665488e36354006314df3

This issue wasn't due to the template bodies having a conflicting flight globals index, but rather due to the fact that the flightGlobalsIndex didn't correspond to the position in FlightGlobals.Bodies[]. This has been fixed

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/commit/cf233a80a8fc0e190f99353f3c7fa56955eac039

The original goal was (and still is) to provide a method of generating planets without requiring template clones, and to do so before the game starts so the game accepts the custom system. The Template { } config option was provided merely as a convenience for prototyping purposes or if a stock body was *almost* what you wanted.

Well, the Linux 64 bit version is stable as stable can be :). Honestly the near lack of work (or complete lack thereof) porting an application from Linux 32 -> 64 bit is a testament to how well it was designed. I've done projects where there was no work at all in porting between the two. Hell, most code will compile for different architectures just fine. You just have to follow the design guidelines. Shameless support aside, I do all of my KSP dev work and KSP playing on an Arch Linux 64 bit install.

Great stuff! Whenever I get a chance to sit down and play a career game, I wanted to do so with Outer Planets. Once this new version is integrated with OPM, if anybody has any further issues with stock contracts on custom bodies, feel free to PM me. I might be able to address them.

​Since Tellion appears to be absent, I've forked his copy of OPM 64K and updated it for 1.6.5.

Thank you very much for this, and all the luck with it! Uni is keeping me busy for now, so I am very glad to see someone take this up :)

What is the best way to remove Niedon and Plock

Go to gamedata/opm/kopernicusconfigs/outer planets/configs/

And delete neidon.cfg and plock.cfg

I'm going with my memory so the folder names could be a bit different

edit:

a less invasive option would be to paste this code inside a .cfg file (you can name it whatever you want, and place it wherever you want inside the GameData folder)

@Kopernicus

[*]:FINAL{

!Body[Neidon]

{

}

!Body[Plock]

{

}

}

with this method you can update opm and those planets will stay removed.

may I ask you why you want to remove them?

Edited by Sigma88

I'm sure this has been asked before but is there anyway to have Tekto's clouds using the Renaissance mod?

Visually Tekto is spectacular but so is the Renaissance mod, if I could have both it would be perfect!

There is a config for the Renaissance Compilation here (second config).

If you want to have clouds only on Tekto open the archive, navigate to GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds and copy only OPM-KSPRC-Tekto.cfg to KSP/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds.

Go to gamedata/opm/kopernicusconfigs/outer planets/configs/

And delete neidon.cfg and plock.cfg

I'm going with my memory so the folder names could be a bit differen

edit:

a less invasive option would be to paste this code inside a .cfg file (you can name it whatever you want, and place it wherever you want inside the GameData folder)

with this method you can update opm and those planets will stay removed.

may I ask you why you want to remove them?

Becuase they have no moons, no fun exploring, and take up a ton RAM (Better Performance)

Becuase they have no moons, no fun exploring, and take up a ton RAM (Better Performance)

yeah I was thinking that could be the reason :D

you can check out my version of the pluto analogue if you finish the interesting stuff in OPM

-edit-

If you want KSP to use less ram I think you should delete the textures too, they will be loaded even if you don't use them.

Edited by Sigma88

There is a config for the Renaissance Compilation here (second config).

If you want to have clouds only on Tekto open the archive, navigate to GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds and copy only OPM-KSPRC-Tekto.cfg to KSP/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds.

I tried the KSPRC Cloud Pack yesterday and Tekto looked awesome.

We need help with science descriptions aka blurbs for Urlum's moons

Plus Urlum's fourth moon revealed

The big task at hand, converting the mod to Kopernicus-only, has slowed down at the moment because I'm waiting for Kopernicus' devs to fix some of the bugs I'm having. So instead of sitting on my hands I went back to work on improving the moons added to Urlum in update 1.6. I finished the biome maps and I have set up a public document in Google Docs so that everyone can add science descriptions/blurbs to. The crowd-sourced approach to science descriptions worked so well the last two times that I wanted to just do it again this time. Here's how it works:

Below is a link to a Google Docs spreadsheet. This has three relevant sheets. Info and Moon Background can't be edited and are designed to help you. They contain biome maps, moon backgrounds, etc. Everything you need to write the science descriptions. The Urlum Biomes sheet is the place where you submit your descriptions. It should all be pretty straightforward. Ideally we'd rather have you fill out empty situations instead of writing a blurb for a situation that already has a blurb, but if you have an description that's just too amazing, there is room for a second description. If you have questions, you can always PM me.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J_xgrPoqJSqvvdzgOqNlwmj0aabSVGda8hZLRu9VhsE/edit?usp=sharing

Since knowledge of the fourth moon's concept might be useful for writing some of Wal's descriptions, I'm forced to reveal a bit about its concept:

The moon is called Tal and is actually a moon of Wal. That's right, OPM is getting a so-called subsatellite or a moon of a moon. There is no known confirmed real-life example of such a thing, but scientists have calculated it would be possible for certain moons to have small stable satellites around them, specifically Rhea and Iapetus. The cause of Iapetus' equatorial ridge has also been theorized to have been caused by moon that has since been destroyed or ejected. Since Iapetus is a partial inspiration for Wal and Urlum's other moons also have a unique relationship (Priax is a trojan moon of Polta), Tal felt like a perfect fit for Wal and a great way to add another small moon that did feel unique.

OPM staff â„¢ Challenging the laws of nature since 2014

hehehe nice :D

btw, did you change ovok's biome map? looks totally different in my install

edit:

yeah, I've checked the files... completely different

editedit:

you also have put tekto 2 times in the googledocs file with 2 different textures

Edited by Sigma88

That's old stuff that hasn't been touched since. Only pay attention to the Urlum stuff.

Awesome! I'll be glad to contribute to the blurbs when I get time :)

Also, the concept for Tal sounds very interesting interesting - when you said that it's orbit would be 'both' within and beyond the orbit of Wal, I didn't anticipate this! I just hope that it doesn't orbit too far from Wal. Either way, I'm very excited for the release.

Thanks.

That answer did put me on the spot back then, but I was glad you were satisfied with it at the time as I didn't want to keep quiet when you started follow up questions :D Tal is beyond Wal's roche limit but also not on the edge the SOI either. It's a realistically stable orbit that looks close, but not too close.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.