Double reentry and "cannot switch craft while in atmosphere"

I want to do a rescue mission with the grabbing unit, basically grab a stranded pod, put us both on a descent trajectory, release the pod and put a bit of distance and then activate chutes on both pods. The problem is this: when in atmosphere it doesn't let me switch between two craft - how am I supposed to activate the chutes on the other pod then?

Mind you I am and want to use the stock pod, I don't want to transfer Kerbal into a larger 3-crew pod as that will make my rocket bigger and the first pod is perfectly operational.

Edited by ROXunreal

You can actually just do the reentry with the pods still attached to one another, and then activate the parachutes on the way down, before releasing close to the ground (probably after chutes have deployed). It's not quite realistic but it should have the desired effect :)

When two craft are attached via the Claw, they behave as if docked - you will be able to re-sort the staging sequence and activate the chutes on both simultaneously. Or activate the chute on the stricken pod via right-click, then let go (hopefully without pulling all your craft apart). But then you're at the mercy of drag, and there's a high probability you'll have them fall at different speeds and one will exit the simulation bubble and despawn. You're better off letting them fall attached all the way down, or to set the one sub-orbital, let go, then re-circularize your rescue craft until you can land the falling pod safely, or transfer the crew and science before you de-orbit. The first option is probably pretty iffy; the second one costs you time; and the third one costs you any science return from the craft itself (the "recover a craft which had an orbital...blah blah blah" type). remember that chutes can be activated in space, then they'll deploy once they reach proper atmospheric pressure.

I want to do a rescue mission with the grabbing unit, basically grab a stranded pod, put us both on a descent trajectory, release the pod and put a bit of distance and then activate chutes on both pods. The problem is this: when in atmosphere it doesn't let me switch between two craft - how am I supposed to activate the chutes on the other pod then?

I've done something similar to what you are describing without any problem. It's possible you put too much distance between the pods and that is the reason you can't switch between them. I don't know what the number is, but I do know that there's a maximum separation beyond which you can now longer toggle between the ships. I waited until very late in the descent (shortly before parachute deployment) before I separated the pods and had no problem switching back and forth between them all the way to landing.

Why not just keep them attatched while decending?

Even if you could switch and activate both parachutes, they'd probably drift apart until there's more than 2.2km between them. In that case, the one you are not controlling is outside physics bubble, and will be deleted once it reaches a certain altitude in atmosphere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.