Cannot do...anything

Here's my problem. When I boot up KSP, i choose my sandbox game (where I have all my progress and infrastructure) and get shown the view of the space center. However, when I go to click on the rocket construction center, it lights up but will not open. No matter how many times i click it it will not open. This is true for the spaceplane hangar and the place that shows you all of your flights. I can click on the science tree building and the astronaut center, but once i leave those the game totally stops responding. I cannot click on any building nor can i go back to the main menu, I have to quit the game.

I have determined that the problem lies in the persistence file. I copied the persistence file from my saved game and copied it into a new, clean game. The same problems endured.

I have no idea what to do about it and I really want to keep all of my progress.

Thanks in advance

p.s. I am a complete novice when it comes to computers and gaming. Keep it simple. Thanks

Do you have a quicksave.sfs in your folder along with the persistent.sfs? It'll be from the last time you hit F5.

If you have one, and it's moderately recent, you could copy it to persistent.sfs (after backing up persistent.sfs of course) and then trying to load the save. It'll back you up to the point where you had hit F5, but at least you'll have most of your save.

same goes for KACBACKUP files, if you have Kerbal Alarm Clock. Those have saved me more than once.

This is a rampant problem right now. I'd be willing to bet that you fired or killed a kerbal that either logged an achievement or was rescued via a contract. Once that happens, the game bugs out and the save file is broken. However, you can fix it.

Without knowing exactly what your scenario is, you basically have to look through the save file for the sections that track achievements (under ProgressTracking) or the contracts section. Look for references to any kerbals in there. Make sure that any kerbals in that section also show up in the roster section at the end of the save file.

If you have any names that don't appear in the crew roster, you can do one of two things:

1) Delete the entries in the ProgressTracking or the Contracts

or

2) Insert a dummy crew roster entry with the same name

KERBAL
{
name = Jebediah Kerman
type = Crew
brave = 0.5
dumb = 0.5
badS = True
state = Assigned
ToD = 0
idx = 0
CAREER_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
FLIGHT_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
}
[COLOR="#FF0000"] KERBAL
{
name = Bob Kerman
type = Crew
brave = 0.5
dumb = 0.8
badS = False
state = Dead
ToD = 0
idx = 0
CAREER_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
FLIGHT_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
}[/COLOR]
KERBAL
{
name = Bill Kerman
type = Crew
brave = 0.5
dumb = 0.8
badS = False
state = Dead
ToD = 0
idx = 0
CAREER_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
FLIGHT_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
}

One you do that, you should be able to load up the save file again.

If you aren't opposed to add-ons, I've created a fix which should help avoid this in the future. You'll still have to fix your save game manually, but this fix will hopefully prevent it from happening again.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know!

Cheers,

~Claw

-5thHorseman: I'm really quite dumb, I never quicksave. I tried loading my quicksave and it was from like 5 months ago. Not even worth it in my opinion. But thanks for the suggestion.

-Claw: Thats exactly what I did. I killed Jebediah and Bob in a test launch and forgot to revert. I figured since it was a sandbox game they would just come back, so I clicked the little 'x' on them in the astronaut center. I'll scan through my persistence file and see if i can find them. Thanks!

-Claw: Thats exactly what I did. I killed Jebediah and Bob in a test launch and forgot to revert. I figured since it was a sandbox game they would just come back, so I clicked the little 'x' on them in the astronaut center.

Yep, that's the exact scenario which will break the save. In the "MIA" state, they are "dead" but will revive in time. If you click on the "x" while they are in that state, you've actually fired them and sent them into limbo. (i.e. They were deleted from your save file roster section.) You'll have to manually add a crew section for them, or delete their achievements from the ProgressTracking section.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.