Virus Spreading Around Steam

mike9606

There is a virus spreading around steam via steam chat. It comes from you friends, saying they want to trade an item with you with a link to a picture. Clicking the link gives you the virus. It apparently hacks your account, but I know not what it does. Once infected, it sends the same message you received to every steam friend you have. Warn your friends if it affects you, and tell them to warn their friends. If the file is still on your system, delete it and wipe your recycle bin. https://www.malwarebytes.org/ Malwarebytes is adapted to know about this, so scan your system with it. Make sure to change your steam password and secret question too. If something important comes up, I will post an edit here. P.S.A. Over.

EDIT: I have discovered it is an Item Stealer virus it seems. I only lost my trading cards though. I dunno what it will do to other users.

Edited by mike9606

shill

A person engaged in covert advertising. The shill attempts to spread buzz by personally endorsing the product in public forums with the pretense of sincerity, when in fact he is being paid for his services.

I am not being paid. This virus is a real thing. Why are you guys being offensive like this? This is not the KSP community I know.

shill

A person engaged in covert advertising. The shill attempts to spread buzz by personally endorsing the product in public forums with the pretense of sincerity, when in fact he is being paid for his services.

Comrade, why you try to spread rumor or call OP shill? Steam is known well on KSP Forum. KSP is even offered on Steam. Also, Steam virus has happened before. Simply read other Comrade's warning and apply. I agree with Comrade mike9606's reply. This is not friendly behavior. Comrade, there is no need to be unfriendly towards other Comrades, you may be sent to Gulag for such actions. In fact, State Police may be watching you at this very second. Always be vigilant for any break of State Doctrine or accepted standards! Report any criminals to State Police! Police yourself or you will be policed!

Also, I do not wish for State Police to think this is roleplay. I wish to say that roleplay is multiple Comrades, single Comrade is imitation or impersonation. I also state fact that roleplay is not defined in State Doctrine.

Thread author is not lying. Such things do happen, but one has to be pretty naive to fall for it.

That's pretty much it. I haven't been a target myself, but I've seen some screenshots of these scammers, and their tactics/attempts/scams are pretty pathetic. If a person got scammed I'd pity them more for the fact that they accepted it and not for the fact that they lost some things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.