Cannot complete mission "Build new orbital station around Kerbin"

I've been trying to complete the mission "Build new orbital station around Kerbin" in Career Mode, but for some reason, I keep getting stuck on the following point:

Build a new station that has power, an antenna, and a docking port

I have all three of these: 24 Z-100 Rechargeable Battery Packs supply the station with 2450 ElectricCharge, and there's an antenna and docking port. Yet, KSP won't check this point as complete. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by supertanno

I was going to test it, and then it turned out I switched to another craft in-flight, so I can no longer revert, nor can I afford another one. Oops.

Seeing as you two, especially sal_vager, have plenty more experience than I do, I'll mark the topic as answered since it does make sense what you're saying. Thanks for the help :D

• 4 months later...
You don't need any kerbals at all, you can control it with a probe core, you just need indoor capacity for that many kerbals (exterior command seats do not count).

Here is my station (yes, it's long and ugly. I know) As you can see, I have credit for everything except "Build a new station that has an antenna, a docking port, and can generate power." My station has all of that stuff, so no idea why it doesn't see it.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356284140/F7265FD056A3E358E81F465D5EF7576D0AD895C0/

Here is a close-up of the antenna:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356297794/7523BF635F46596DE1C9B0AF8B592C2010797EE4/

Here is two of 3 available docking ports:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356298121/EE7288E38A14F830A18C2FA8E4DD4E96538104BA/

And looking at any of those pictures will show you it has MANY solar panels and batteries attached. Any idea why I still don't have credit?

Here is my station (yes, it's long and ugly. I know) As you can see, I have credit for everything except "Build a new station that has an antenna, a docking port, and can generate power." My station has all of that stuff, so no idea why it doesn't see it.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356284140/F7265FD056A3E358E81F465D5EF7576D0AD895C0/

Here is a close-up of the antenna:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356297794/7523BF635F46596DE1C9B0AF8B592C2010797EE4/

Here is two of 3 available docking ports:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/46504681356298121/EE7288E38A14F830A18C2FA8E4DD4E96538104BA/

And looking at any of those pictures will show you it has MANY solar panels and batteries attached. Any idea why I still don't have credit?

Was the entire station brand new? If you attached missing parts to fulfill the contract requirements to an existing station it won't fire (as the "root" of the final station will be the original "old" station not fulfilling that particular contract parameter). Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with the station.

I've looked all over my space station and I definitely have every piece that's required, but I still don't have credit for the mission.

Also, what does the game say about why it thinks you're not done? That is, if you go to the mission UI, where it lists all the mission objectives, look to see which of them are incomplete (i.e. not lit up green). That will really help you debug the problem.

Yes. Every piece was launched after I took the contract. I suppose I could try attaching another piece with the missing parts. I think it might be bugged. The only things it says I'm missing are an antenna, docking port and power generation. I have an antenna and a Comms DTS-M1, so it should have credit for the antenna. It has 3 open docking ports right now and easily has 30 solar panels on it with an electric potential of 5,750 charge. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing.

Perhaps, does the antenna need to be connected to the Science Lab or something? It's currently on a fuel container that's docked to another fuel container.

Also, the antenna is on a part that is connected via a docking port. The docking port is held on by a metal strut. Could that be causing an issue?

Edited by WBOtis

Yes. Every piece was launched after I took the contract. I suppose I could try attaching another piece with the missing parts. I think it might be bugged. The only things it says I'm missing are an antenna, docking port and power generation. I have an antenna and a Comms DTS-M1, so it should have credit for the antenna. It has 3 open docking ports right now and easily has 30 solar panels on it with an electric potential of 5,750 charge. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing

Hm. That's a puzzle. (Though I don't quite understand your comment about "5,750 charge"... solar panels are generators, they don't store charge. Did you mean "I have a lot of solar panels and also a lot of batteries?")

Perhaps, does the antenna need to be connected to the Science Lab or something?

Definitely not. I've done oodles of this kind of contract and it doesn't matter where the antenna is, as long as it's somewhere on the craft.

It's currently on a fuel container that's docked to another fuel container. Also, the antenna is on a part that is connected via a docking port. The docking port is held on by a metal strut. Could that be causing an issue?

That's the only thing I could think of. I've never had any problem anything like what you're describing, but then I tend to launch things in one piece so the various components aren't connected via docking port. I've never tried completing a contract by docking together separate pieces that individually wouldn't qualify. I can imagine that solving that one could be a complicated bit of code, wouldn't be surprised if maybe there's a bug (or confusing feature) there. Maybe someone who has successfully done such an operation could comment?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have same problem. I used the craft for multiple tourist missions and orbital station around Mun. What can be the problem? Craft has small docking port.

Edit: After I go back to space center and back to craft again, it says mission is complete.

Edited by CanOmer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.