[0.90] Odysseus Planet Pack for Old Kopernicus (v1.2) [EVE! PlanetShine!] [Jan. 10, 2015]

Thomas988

Should Odysseus be moved far away form Kerbol (like slightly closer than Eeloo or farther?)  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Odysseus be moved far away form Kerbol (like slightly closer than Eeloo or farther?)

Ugh, serious immersion killer there. That's my biggest peeve with planet packs that people try to make. They look awesome in the scaled space view, but once you get closer it quickly becomes apparent that something is off. I mean in the above picture they look like two totally different planets.

I'm fairly sure you can correct that issue. You most likely need to disable the PQS mods that supply the landclasses color and make it so it's only using the texture for color instead. Can be done with RSS and maybe even kittopiatech.

I see. When I was making this pack I set the color maps' contrast up a bit just so it looked better when it rendered, but I think what happened here is that I have set the contrast too high and/or changed the hue by accident.

EDIT: Alright, just tested that out. I did what you said to do, but that didn't work. I also tried making it so that both the PQS mod and Scaled Space had the same texture. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I think what _Augustus_ said is true; there's no easy way to fix it and that this is going to happen to planets with a template of Duna. Sorry about that. :(

I still haven't used KittopiaTech yet, so I'll try that when I can, but now I have school.

Edited by Thomas988

I see. When I was making this pack I set the color maps' contrast up a bit just so it looked better when it rendered, but I think what happened here is that I have set the contrast too high and/or changed the hue by accident.

EDIT: Alright, just tested that out. I did what you said to do, but that didn't work. I also tried making it so that both the PQS mod and Scaled Space had the same texture. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I think what _Augustus_ said is true; there's no easy way to fix it and that this is going to happen to planets with a template of Duna. Sorry about that. :(

I still haven't used KittopiaTech yet, so I'll try that when I can, but now I have school.

I believe it is not actually due to the PQSmod land classes, it's most likely due to atmospheric ambience. Edit the atmosphere color with Kittopia and that should fix it.

It`s awesome - especially with EVE and PlanetShine.

Only one question - does it have custom science reports and/or bioms?=)

And it will be cool to have rings and asteroid for gas giant=)

No, I'm afraid there's no custom biomes. I'm not even sure if that possible with Kopernicus right now. :/

As for rings, thanks for suggesting it! I was pondering if I wanted to add them or not, but I thought the Odysseus system was already quite cluttered. Maybe some day if enough people request it I will add them in!

@Thomas988 - hey, if it was sarcasm, my english isn`t that cool to understand it=)

Aurora is just another layer of clouds, isn't it?)

Don't worry, it wasn't sarcasm. That's a genuinely good idea!

You should make Odysseus a rogue planet very far from Kerbol, some 100x it's current distance, kinda like the hypothetical Tyche.

Hmmmm...maybe...

No, I'm afraid there's no custom biomes. I'm not even sure if that possible with Kopernicus right now. :/

As for rings, thanks for suggesting it! I was pondering if I wanted to add them or not, but I thought the Odysseus system was already quite cluttered. Maybe some day if enough people request it I will add them in!

Kopernicus itself doesn't do biomes, but there is a custom biome mod that you can use. It's what RSS uses for it's planets.

Kopernicus itself doesn't do biomes, but there is a custom biome mod that you can use. It's what RSS uses for it's planets.

Thanks for letting me know. That sounds pretty crazy to do, so maybe I'll work on it later. But next week is...finals. ;.;

• 4 weeks later...

So I've traveled out to Penelope and sent a lander down but upon entering the atmosphere the land gives way to water and the moon appears as Laythe. I can see the landmasses of Laythe once I'm in orbit. I've tried re-installing the mod with the same result not sure if I'm missing something on the install process, thoughts?

So I've traveled out to Penelope and sent a lander down but upon entering the atmosphere the land gives way to water and the moon appears as Laythe. I can see the landmasses of Laythe once I'm in orbit. I've tried re-installing the mod with the same result not sure if I'm missing something on the install process, thoughts?

Huh, that's really weird. You see, I didn't add normal maps to the moons because then their lights sides would not be facing the sun. That's why from orbit you can see laythe. Now why it actually turns into Laythe is extremely strange. Also, are you using the old version of Kopernicus? Right now Odysseus does not support KopernicusTech.

• 2 weeks later...
Huh, that's really weird. You see, I didn't add normal maps to the moons because then their lights sides would not be facing the sun. That's why from orbit you can see laythe. Now why it actually turns into Laythe is extremely strange. Also, are you using the old version of Kopernicus? Right now Odysseus does not support KopernicusTech.

I used the original Kopernicus core at first then deleted everything and reloaded with the KopernicusTech thinking that maybe that was what I needed, seems I was mistaken. Its not visible from the tracking view but once you get close enough with a craft you make out features underneath that relate to the moons around Jool. I tested to see if it was a just a fluke with one moon but it was consistent with another as well; upon decent the land features transformed into I believe Tylo. Very strange, still think I'm missing something here.

I used the original Kopernicus core at first then deleted everything and reloaded with the KopernicusTech thinking that maybe that was what I needed, seems I was mistaken. Its not visible from the tracking view but once you get close enough with a craft you make out features underneath that relate to the moons around Jool. I tested to see if it was a just a fluke with one moon but it was consistent with another as well; upon decent the land features transformed into I believe Tylo. Very strange, still think I'm missing something here.

Well, just in case you don't know, Odysseus does not currently support KopernicusTech. I do really want to convert Odysseus for KT, but I want to do so after I can figure out the normal maps problem, which I am making progress in solving thanks to some helpful guys over on the KT thread.

Have you considered making Odysseus a Tyche analog? Obviously not 1.5 lightyears out, but I was thinking 2-3x farther than Eeloo?

Yes, I have quite a few times, in fact. But as _Augustus_ put it, most gas giant planet packs do that same exact thing, and I like to have it just past Duna to make the inner solar system a little more fun.

I really like this planet pack, and I also liked the outer planets pack, so I combined the two packs together by editing the system config file and the celestial bodies file of the two mods. I essentially copied and pasted material into one common file. I finally got all the planets to show up in the game, but the only thing is that Odysseus is orbiting in the opposite direction as all the other planets. At first I thought it could be interesting, but I then realized It might make getting there more challenging since it would mean changing direction once captured. I am not sure how that would work, but I am going to try it and see what happens. I think If I do and areo capture I can save fuel. Does anyone know how to change the orbit direction of Odysseus. If its something like changing a single value or changing the sign. If anyone has any insight on the subject any help would be appreciated. I am new to mods in general and as of right now I only have these two mods installed. I am thinking of adding near future tech for the outer planets mod. Also if any of you are interested in also combining the two planet packs let me know and I can go into more detail of what I did.

I just started looking at the numbers in the config file and noticed that Odysseus has an orbit inclination of 177.64 which means it is rotating nearly 180 degrees opposite. Is this the way the odysseus mod is supposed to be. I havent played it by itself. I thought it was supposed to be normal and that I had messed up the orbit by combining it with outer planets mod. If anyone can confirm that would be cool. Thanks.

I really like this planet pack, and I also liked the outer planets pack, so I combined the two packs together by editing the system config file and the celestial bodies file of the two mods. I essentially copied and pasted material into one common file. I finally got all the planets to show up in the game, but the only thing is that Odysseus is orbiting in the opposite direction as all the other planets. At first I thought it could be interesting, but I then realized It might make getting there more challenging since it would mean changing direction once captured. I am not sure how that would work, but I am going to try it and see what happens. I think If I do and areo capture I can save fuel. Does anyone know how to change the orbit direction of Odysseus. If its something like changing a single value or changing the sign. If anyone has any insight on the subject any help would be appreciated. I am new to mods in general and as of right now I only have these two mods installed. I am thinking of adding near future tech for the outer planets mod. Also if any of you are interested in also combining the two planet packs let me know and I can go into more detail of what I did.

ODYSSEUS DOES NOT WORK WITH KOPERNICUSTECH!

All the terrestrial bodies added by Odysseus are gonna turn into their templates when you get close enough.

I just started looking at the numbers in the config file and noticed that Odysseus has an orbit inclination of 177.64 which means it is rotating nearly 180 degrees opposite. Is this the way the odysseus mod is supposed to be. I havent played it by itself. I thought it was supposed to be normal and that I had messed up the orbit by combining it with outer planets mod. If anyone can confirm that would be cool. Thanks.

Yes. It appears that it does have a retro orbit.

does this work with kopernicus tech?

No.