RAM usage increasing over time.

Hey guys, currently running a modded install of KSP with B9, Texture Replacer, EVE and the Astronomer Pack as my main mods. Through hours of tweaking I have managed to get my RAM usage to around 2.5-2.7. However, I have noticed that about after a while in-game the RAM usage steadily increases until my game crashes. This occurs REGARDLESS of the part count, and what I am doing. (Example, I was testing out a 200 part plane and was running fine at 2.7 RAM and then last hopped on a 25 part plane and crashed). Is this normal??

This is known as a memory leak, and is common in any program still in development. It's even more common with mods installed.

You have several options (You aren't limited to just one):

1. Reduce your mod load. (Texture Replacer, EVE and Astronomer's Pack can be very High on the RAM requirement, and you can trim out a lot of the parts on B9 that you don't use.)

2. Install Advanced Texture Management (I know it's slow to load.)

3. Switch to OpenGL

4. Switch to 64bit Linux.

Also you should check that all your mods are up to date. That will reduce memory issues as well. The latest B9 update cuts it's memory load in about a quarter.

• 1 month later...
This is known as a memory leak, and is common in any program still in development. It's even more common with mods installed.

You have several options (You aren't limited to just one):

1. Reduce your mod load. (Texture Replacer, EVE and Astronomer's Pack can be very High on the RAM requirement, and you can trim out a lot of the parts on B9 that you don't use.)

2. Install Advanced Texture Management (I know it's slow to load.)

3. Switch to OpenGL

4. Switch to 64bit Linux.

Also you should check that all your mods are up to date. That will reduce memory issues as well. The latest B9 update cuts it's memory load in about a quarter.

these options wont work. the memory leak will eventually crash your game; even in linux - its just a matter of time.. every screen change adds to RAM usage; eventually you WILL run out of ram.

Edited by crparris

Try doing the following steps:

1. Exit to main menu

2. Load back to your save

If that doesn't reduce memory load then try starting a new game between the two steps.

1. Exit to main menu

2. Start a new game (or load another empty save)

3. Exit to main menu

4. Load back to your save

these options wont work. the memory leak will eventually crash your game; even in linux - its just a matter of time.. every screen change adds to RAM usage; eventually you WILL run out of ram.

Since I presume you don't have experiencing with Linux memory addressing, I'll give it to you straight. Linux64 won't run out of memory very easily. It has 128 TB virtual memory space for usermode programs on current generation desktop processors. Additionally, Linux does not allow pages to be locked in memory by any user other than root, hence pages full of leaked memory WILL be swapped, and thus will only use swap space, and virtual memory, not physical memory.

Honestly, if you are running nVidia drivers, they will crash before the system gets an OOM error.

You are more likely to get an intraprogram page fault (i.e. a heap overflow or stack overflow), which can cause similar behavior to out of memory, without actually causing any physical problems on the OS level. This is caused when poorly written programs, such as the Unity3D libraries, allocate memory from the heap or stack without going through proper channels and just assumes there is enough memory already allocated in the heap or stack for the data.

Since I presume you don't have experiencing with Linux memory addressing, I'll give it to you straight. Linux64 won't run out of memory very easily. It has 128 TB virtual memory space for usermode programs on current generation desktop processors. Additionally, Linux does not allow pages to be locked in memory by any user other than root, hence pages full of leaked memory WILL be swapped, and thus will only use swap space, and virtual memory, not physical memory.

Honestly, if you are running nVidia drivers, they will crash before the system gets an OOM error.

You are more likely to get an intraprogram page fault (i.e. a heap overflow or stack overflow), which can cause similar behavior to out of memory, without actually causing any physical problems on the OS level. This is caused when poorly written programs, such as the Unity3D libraries, allocate memory from the heap or stack without going through proper channels and just assumes there is enough memory already allocated in the heap or stack for the data.

Would you call slowing down the system all of a sudden and needing a restart to fix it, an OS level problem? I have no idea why simply closing the game doesn't clear it and a restart is needed.

And that would explain why I sometimes see NVIDIA have a crash and recovery shortly before the game spazzes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Really would love to see this issue addressed or at least acknowledged by Squad before the game hits 1.0. It's a major problem that is continually cropping up in both vanilla and modded games. At this point I'm looking at running linux just for one game, which is ridiculous.

Really would love to see this issue addressed or at least acknowledged by Squad before the game hits 1.0. It's a major problem that is continually cropping up in both vanilla and modded games. At this point I'm looking at running linux just for one game, which is ridiculous.

Except that it's a problem with Linux as well, switching to Linux doesn't make the problem go away.

• 3 months later...