Mini stock bearing assembly and sentry gun turret example craft.

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 8:16 PM, Majorjim said:

Hi all,

Here is the bearing I showed on the WIP thread.

I included an example craft that uses the bearing as a turret that can swivel and pitch up and down.

It is quite fragile even though it is stable and reliable in normal usage. I don't think it will work as a helicopter bearing as my tests didn't go well. It is uncontrollable and pulls itself apart if you try to maneuver it.

Its the smallest bearing I have seen and the pivoting is really cool though and it works upside down too.

When you construct something above it try to keep the center of mass close to the center of the bearing. It is quite forgiving though.

And don't swivel when at full pitch.

I can imagine it being a very cool crane for loading and unloading things or as Snuggler suggested a rotating crew cabin on a station or large craft.

Anywhoo, have a play with it and see what you can come up with.

2zjfbiq.jpg

352p6ol.jpg

DOWNLOAD MECHANISM ONLY

DOWNLOAD TURRET EXAMPLE CRAFT

If anyone uses it a nod to me for the bearing is all I ask.

:)

MJ

The download doesn't work on Microsoft Edge.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 8:16 PM, Majorjim said:

Hi all,

Here is the bearing I showed on the WIP thread.

I included an example craft that uses the bearing as a turret that can swivel and pitch up and down.

It is quite fragile even though it is stable and reliable in normal usage. I don't think it will work as a helicopter bearing as my tests didn't go well. It is uncontrollable and pulls itself apart if you try to maneuver it.

Its the smallest bearing I have seen and the pivoting is really cool though and it works upside down too.

When you construct something above it try to keep the center of mass close to the center of the bearing. It is quite forgiving though.

And don't swivel when at full pitch.

I can imagine it being a very cool crane for loading and unloading things or as Snuggler suggested a rotating crew cabin on a station or large craft.

Anywhoo, have a play with it and see what you can come up with.

2zjfbiq.jpg

352p6ol.jpg

DOWNLOAD MECHANISM ONLY

DOWNLOAD TURRET EXAMPLE CRAFT

If anyone uses it a nod to me for the bearing is all I ask.

:)

MJ

Download doesn't work on Edge or Chrome.

Hey man.

I forgot about this! Its old now mate I have not updated the download. I think it is mediafire. And those links are now broken, I will have to open it in KSP to see if it still works. I dont know if I can find it, it will be in one of my old saves.

26 minutes ago, SpaceToad said:

Holy cow Jim! How did you make the docking cam and telemetry in your Selene video?

I was wondering why you posted info about that craft here then saw that for some reason the video is linked in the above post! Odd..

It is easy man, the Hullcam mod. It is ace! It has auto docking cam view with info and you can even look through the eyes of a kerbal! That alone should be stock as it really gives craft a lovely sense of scale lacking in the 3rd person views.

EDIT: WOW over 10,000 views of this? I am amazed given how small a build it was.

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.