My First Tripulated Mission tu Mun

DelgaSpace

Hi Everybody!

First of all, sorry about my english (i'm from Argentina)

This is my first post. I want to show you some pics from my first (and successful) tripulated mission to Mun. I know it isn't a very big challenge, but i'm a newbie in KSP and i felt very happy to bring back Bob Kerman alive.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks!

Yeah I actually learned from this. my landers are always WAY overdesigned. Like my last Munar rover, I forgot an antenna on.

So I had to land my rover on the mun with my transfer stage, and do the science like that.

Then I left the mun with my transfer stage.

Then (lacking chutes for my 1-way munar rover) I did a powered landing on kerbin with my transfer stage.

I like your manned lander alot. Small and efficient. Thank you for that lol

Edited by r4pt0r

That's a really nice simple design for a first mun mission. I think my first was much bigger and over engineered compared to that. The benefit of the new career mode I guess, teaching new players to be more efficient in design.

That's a really nice simple design for a first mun mission. I think my first was much bigger and over engineered compared to that. The benefit of the new career mode I guess, teaching new players to be more efficient in design.

I'm having trouble remembering which ship was my first mun landing mission, but my first screenshot that I was able to find which had a vessel sitting on the mun (that wasn't a probe, I was very probe-happy back then) is clearly the lander portion of my L4F design, a massively over-engineered drop tank design with a nuclear CSM....that could have almost done a real moon mission (lander portion wouldn't have been able to make it all the way back from the lunar surface, but there was plenty of everything else).

L4F lander

Delta-V: 3,025m/sec (approx, 0.22 ship doesn't exactly translate into 0.26 all that well)

TWR: 0.9-2.18 kerbin

Mass: 5,685 kg

No science, monoprop docking (FL-R25 tank), re-entry capable

L4F CSM

Delta-V: 7,513 with no load, 4,473 with lander

TWR: 0.3-0.6 no load, 0.42-1.2 with lander

Mass: 14,412 kg no load.

Orbital science package (reusable in those days!~), no docking thrusters. Thrust is off balance by 0.5knm

Nowadays that would be "R7 MunLandX" and the whole thing would weigh less than the CSM...and not have a CSM.

L4F.jpg

(that's actually the V2 or V3 design of the L4F, as there's an extra reaction wheel not found in the L4F V1~)

Nice design. I've found that once you get a successful design like that you can scale it up (ie using Rocomax parts) once you get ready to leave Kerbin SOI and visit places like Duna or the outer planets. Let us know if you need any help. There's a lot of experience on this forum.

Thanks for all yout comments! I've learned a lot reading this forum.

I must admint that i killed two kerbonauts trying to landing mun, and this is the first time y get to Mun and back successfully :cool:

The lander, as you can see, is small, about 6.5 tons. One T-400 fuel tank and 4 T-100 fuel tanks, which are decoupled after liftoff Mun, to reduce mass.

Now i have to learn rendezvous and docking, so i can buil a space station in Kerbin orbit and a base in Mun.

Thanks for all your replys and your ideas!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.