[v0.19] Damned Robotics Version 1.3

DYJ

Once a new set of parts are established, then yes a new thread for sure. If you want to talk code, sent Sirkut a pm, as he is a genius at that side of it.. I am but a simple carpenter :D

Since the two items I require are the rotatron and the large hinge, ill work on alternatives to those now, ll let you know how I go.

If Sirkut is up for taking it over that is cool with me.

Edited by astronutkhillips

If Sirkut is up for taking it over that is cool with me. PM me and I'll give you access to the github site.

Mate, whoever it's all good, he just seemed pretty interested in keeping it happening also so I thought I'd drop his name, Im just testing my new rotatron now, will

post video if all goes well :)

"And DYJ hasn't posted since September 2012."

Eh, what?

Spreading misinformation is not appreciated.

"What I really need is an unpowered versionof the rotatron."

That has always been doable with a simple .cfg tweak and a version of the rotatron that does just that is distrubuted with TT's multiwheels mod.

"The models didn't have any clear licensing"

Reading the OP is a good way to find out the licensing, if it still feels murky just don't touch the models.

The models themselves were some of the first things I ever did and are therefor not very pretty and there is no reason to build on them, people have previously made sets with different models for DR without having to use the original assets.

I don't maintain the code for this since it was written by r4m0n, I guess I technically could have a go at it but I'd rather wait for r4m0n to come back from his period of IRL busyness and finish up DR 2.0

TLDR: This is not abandoned, we are just busy, if you abide by the license rules you are free to make a fork for the latest version.

Edited by DYJ

Eh, what?

"What I really need is an unpowered versionof the rotatron."

That has always been doable with a simple .cfg tweak and a version of the rotatron that does just that is distrubuted with TT's multiwheels mod.

"The models didn't have any clear licensing"

Reading the OP is a good way to find out the licensing, if it still feels murky just don't touch the models.

The models themselves were some of the first things I ever did and are therefor not very pretty and there is no reason to build on them, people have previously made sets with different models for DR without having to use the original assets.

I don't maintain the code for this since it was written by r4m0n, I guess I technically could have a go at it but I'd rather wait for r4m0n to come back from his period of IRL busyness and finish up DR 2.0

TLDR: This is not abandoned, we are just busy, if you abide by the license rules you are free to make a fork for the latest version.

Thanks DYJ. We just love the pack so much, it's sort of a third arm for some of us and if we can take the load off r4mon by just getting it working for 0.20 (which as now been done) then it's all apples really isn't it.

Is that a concealed "0.20 compatible version will soon be released" announcement?

No, he means that someone (two people, coincidentally) fixed the code already and released a fixed version (a fork, called Infernal Robotics). DYJ's salient point is that that fork shouldn't be distributing his models without his permission - the models and the plugin have different licenses.

Of course, the GPL states that any derivative work must also be GPL (free as in speech, to distribute and change), there is no reason that Damned Robotics can't just merge in the fix from 'infernal' Robotics. This is why GPL is a Good Thing - we'd all have been doing great if the person who patched this had simply distributed mumech.dll and not the whole package - it would have been a simple copy-paste-overwrite.

No, he means that someone (two people, coincidentally) fixed the code already and released a fixed version (a fork, called Infernal Robotics). DYJ's salient point is that that fork shouldn't be distributing his models without his permission - the models and the plugin have different licenses.

Of course, the GPL states that any derivative work must also be GPL (free as in speech, to distribute and change), there is no reason that Damned Robotics can't just merge in the fix from 'infernal' Robotics. This is why GPL is a Good Thing - we'd all have been doing great if the person who patched this had simply distributed mumech.dll and not the whole package - it would have been a simple copy-paste-overwrite.

What I got from that is that there's a version of DR somewhere called infernal robotics which works in 0.20. Google does nothing for me, so could you please point me to somewhere where I can get it?

So, how where would I put the Infernal Robotics plugin and the DR parts in 0.20.x to get them to work? Other than just putting the files in the right place, is there anything else required (like tweaking .cfg's to point to the new .dll or something)? I've got a fairly important ship in-flight that uses DR hinges, and those hinges are what I'm waiting on at this point to get back into KSP.

Eh, what?

@DYJ ..

Hey, thanks for the post DYJ. :D

Sorry about the confusion there. I'm not trying to spread mis- or dis-information. I SWEAR when I looked at your forum posts the other day there was only 2 pages and the most recent was indeed September 2012. Now I look today and there's a BUNCH of pages with plenty of recent posts.

I blame the forum Kraken.

Again, so so sorry man.

Really all I was lookin for here was a word from you devs on what is going on. Having no word at all is disconcerting, and I thank you for your update.

I'll be patient, and do indeed understand IRL busyness. I very much look forward to an official update to DR, and will use IR in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Edited by artao

On second thought. Lets try to find another place to host the forked version. I have other plans for that github site. Can someone host it somewhere until they do an official release? I'll zip it up with source tonight.

I've got space I could put it on. I just use it for general whatever stuff I might need accessible from anywhere at any time. I could actually put it up on any (or all) of FileDen, 4shared, and Google Drive.

Let me know here or PM.

.. EDIT .. AFAIK 4shared and Google Drive require the downloader to have an account, but FileDen does not. .. Also, I'm unsure what (if any) download limits may apply.

Edited by artao

Hello, I have a problem, I have made a robotic arm and made a docking port on the end for "grappling". So I position my arm to grapple the module and then detach the module from the main ship. The module attaches to the arm immediatelly, but then.. the arm stops working. As if there was some weird "command" switching and it doesn't let me command the arm anymore, I am still in the command of my ship though.. The only way to regain control is to quicksave-quickload, or go to space center and return.. BUT the strange thing is.. All the joints have moved.. The centers (0) are at wrong positions ???

were is the link to Infernal Robotics (probiably a link on one of these pages but theres 65 and thats to many to look through)

Nvm found it

Edited by brobel

I found the fork version and downloaded and installed that... but it still hangs on the the DR parts. A shame because I really need a hinge on my workstation lander to deploy the light bars, dammit!