Exploding Launch Pad *face palm*

So I'm starting to build my Mun Space station and accidentally discover the exploding launch pad. I mean come on, how stupid is that? The kerbals can afford a space program but they cant afford to make a launch pad out of concrete? What did they use anyway? TNT encased in styrofoam? Honestly, the game is almost ruined for me now, its just so ridiculous.

Is there a way to disable this feature?

Edited by Wulfonce

So I'm starting to build my Mun Space station and accidentally discover the exploding launch pad. I mean come on, how stupid is that? The kerbals can afford a space program but they cant afford to make a launch pad out of concrete? What did they use anyway? TNT encased in styrofoam? Honestly, the game is almost ruined for me now, its just so ridiculous.

Is there a way to disable this feature?

Yes. Set "Indestructible Facilities" to true in the persistence.sfs.

(And yes, they use a mixture of Nitroglycerin and Plutonium-238.)

Here is what it looks like.

DIFFICULTY

{

AutoHireCrews = True

MissingCrewsRespawn = True

BypassEntryPurchaseAfterResearch = True

AllowStockVessels = False

IndestructibleFacilities = False

}

It's in [insert path to KSP here]/saves/[Game Title]/persistent.sfs

Edited by Starwhip

Well, it depends on what you're doing. Is this in Career mode? Because if it is, you can upgrade the launch pad to support infinite weight* with the third tier upgrade. In Sandbox, I don't think it gets destroyed at all (not %100 sure), but I DO know that you can disable it in the difficulty menu when starting a new game.

*Note, this is only for launching. Crashing into it very fast still destroys the pad.

Wulfonce; (as far as I understand) the destructibility of the launch pad is only supposed to simulate a catastrophic crash onto the launch pad and the only explody things are the fuel/lox lines but this being the first iteration... it is a bit wonky.

Edited by Cronicler

In career mode you aren't allowed to launch anything too heavy anyway, so the only way to destroy the pad is by crashing into it.

In science/career you can destroy it or the runway just by attempting to launch any old inert parts if they're heavy enough - but since money doesn't exist you can instantly repair them again by right-clicking on them in the Space Center screen.

When destructible buildings were first introduced, a lot of players were rudely introduced to the patented Mk1 Exploding Launch Pad! :confused: Very large rockets can "collide" with the launch pad when they are spawned for launch. This can be prevented by using Launch Stability Enhancers.

If you're making a very large low tech rocket and don't have Stability Enhancers yet, you can still get around this by standing the rocket on top of a bunch of girders attached by de-couplers. These are better able to withstand the "collision". You can then detach the girders when you ignite your first stage.

Note that the "collision" has nothing to do with the weight limits imposed by the building upgrades system. However, you need to upgrade the pad to be allowed to build a sufficiently heavy rocket to break the pad.

When destructible buildings were first introduced, a lot of players were rudely introduced to the patented Mk1 Exploding Launch Pad! :confused:

Very true, but this was resolved in the last release. So I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the craft/pad combo in question. And to confirm what version of KSP is in use.

Cheers,

~Claw

In the usual view of the Space Centre, right-click on the Launchpad and you'll get a little popup giving you the option to upgrade. Same goes for all the buildings, they all have limited capabilities at the start of career mode.

And looking at those pictures, I think launch clamps should solve all your problems.

If the thrust is too massive, even the most advanced launch pad will blow up. You can counter this by starting at 50% thrust or lower, throttling up and hitting staging for the launch clamps immediatly after reaching max throttle.

Very true, but this was resolved in the last release. So I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the craft/pad combo in question. And to confirm what version of KSP is in use.

Cheers,

~Claw

Looks like Wulfonce is playing on 0.25.0, the issue was fixed for 0.90.0, so please update your copy of Kerbal Space Program :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.