At engine start and the first meter of liftoff, is the tower still pumping fuel into the rocket?

EzinX

At liftoff (16 minutes), you can see flexible hoses still attached to the rocket. Is the rocket still being provided with fuel/oxidizer (to replace that burned up at engine start and the fuel/oxidizer to get it the first meter up) and power (so you can use smaller batteries) until the very instant the hoses break loose?

This would make logical sense, to eek out that last little bit of dV by making sure the tanks are at capacity as it clears the tower, but the fuel flow rate is so immense I'm not sure how practical it would be. Edited by EzinX

I'm pretty sure those are fuel hoses, but they only disconnect them at a point of no return because there are a variety of scenarios under which the launch could be scrubbed and they need to empty the tanks in a hurry.

Thinking about it, I'm actually pretty unaware of any major launch that was given an in flight problem because say, the fuel hoses failed to detach. I know one of the early SpaceX launches scrubbed in the last seconds (the engines lit and everything) because of an issue with the hoses detaching incorrectly.

this is probibly because of boiloff. you need the hoses to constantly top off the tank. at some point in the countdown the valves are closed and the tanks sealed. i think they leave the hoses attached in case there is a hold up and they need to top off the tanks some more.

this is probibly because of boiloff. you need the hoses to constantly top off the tank. at some point in the countdown the valves are closed and the tanks sealed. i think they leave the hoses attached in case there is a hold up and they need to top off the tanks some more.

My guess is they are there to carry boiloff away, rather than to replace it. After all, you really don't want clouds of high-concentration oxygen and fuel hanging around if you can avoid it.

My guess is they are there to carry boiloff away, rather than to replace it. After all, you really don't want clouds of high-concentration oxygen and fuel hanging around if you can avoid it.

What's the big white cloud of mist, then? With the Falcon 9 launches, that rocket uses kerosene(RP-1) and LOX. RP-1 is just a more refined variant on jet fuel (according to Ignition, specs are very loose and it's just been tweaked to have less clogging of the nozzles). So the fuel must stay in it's tank. I don't think letting LOX boiloff into the air causes any harm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.