Dawn at Ceres Thread

Frida Space

• 2 weeks later...

The fervor over the bright spots on Ceres appears to have died with the New Horizons event.

- - - Updated - - -

From the APOD image of the day: (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150630.html)

"Also visible across Ceres' surface are some enigmatic light areas: bright spots whose origin and composition that also remain an active topic of investigation."

The 'active topic of investigation' link leads to this image -

maxresdefault.jpg

I think New Horizons is stealing the show because of all of the crazy data being shot back. Lots of stuff nobody suspected.

As for Dawn, I think the scientists are waiting to check out the spots from a closer orbit. Is there a "most efficient" orbit altitude that the GRaND instrument works at? Doesn't it detect a fair amount of chemical compounds, thus hopefully finally sealing the deal on those strange bright spots?

My girlfriend jokes that someone must have cracked open a glow-stick on the planet.

I think New Horizons is stealing the show because of all of the crazy data being shot back. Lots of stuff nobody suspected.

Well, you know, for how much I love Ceres, Pluto is Pluto. I mean, you can ask anyone what Pluto is and, after saying the dog or the god, they'll say the planet. Ceres? I don't think anyone without an interest in space knows what Ceres is, aside from the beer.

Is there a "most efficient" orbit altitude that the GRaND instrument works at?

From what I understand, GRaND will be used mainly in LAMO (375 km).

Also, I found this very cool map with the first officially approved names. Occator is where the bright spots are at.

USGS-Ceres-Nomenclature-20150713.jpg

BIG BIG NEWS! Apparently (no images yet) Dawn has observed a haze above the bright spots!

http://www.nature.com/news/mystery-haze-appears-above-ceres-bright-spots-1.18032

- - - Updated - - -

Also in that release, Dawn is a bit smaller than thought, making it 4% denser.

Hey! I was just talking about this!

Ceres' striking 5-kilometre-high mountain, informally dubbed â€Âthe pyramidâ€Â, may be similar to the mountains seen last week on Pluto by the New Horizons spacecraft, Russell adds.

What the...? Chris Russel, Dawn PI: "We found that summer is winter and winter is summer" ????

not really surprising, interesting of course any way i wish for a vid's ... *grumpf*

either that or this ... or there and here and elsewhere (@° / delta% / t ) ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

The next survey mission, HAMO, at a closer distance to Ceres is scheduled to start at August 17th:

Dawn Journal | July 29

by Marc Rayman

The gradual descent from the second mapping orbit to the third will require 25 revolutions. The maneuvers will conclude in about two weeks. (As always, you can follow the progress with your correspondent’s frequent and succinct updates here.) As in each mapping orbit, following arrival, a few days will be required in order to prepare for a new round of intensive observations. That third observing campaign will begin on August 17 and last more than two months.

http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/2015/07/29/dawn-journal-july-29/

Bob Clark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.