Exciting new tech from Microsoft

MartGonzo

Windows 10 will come with holographic technology support through the new holo-lens device

All those years of science fiction holographic interfaces is finally over, and it's now a reality!

check out the video here:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

think what this will mean for modelling software like mudbox, z-brush, 3ds max, speedtree etc.

it really has got me quite hyped! :cool:

That's very slick. Looks like they are trying to beat Google Glass. When they combine the display with Kinect sensor tech, they can know where your hands are. Next, all software you want to use with it, needs to be hand-wave enabled ;)

I get the impression from the video that it does work with the kinect, the scene where the woman modifies the bike fuel tank seems to imply that.

Although we all know to take marketing video's with a big pinch of salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoah. That's really cool.

Almost makes up for Windows. :P

hehehe, they don't show what happens when there's a holographic blue screen

could be nasty :P

hehehe, they don't show what happens when there's a holographic blue screen

could be nasty :P

It hacks your optical nerve and installs viruses into your visual cortex. Prepare for never ending ads popping up in the corner of your eyes! XD

It hacks your optical nerve and installs viruses into your visual cortex. Prepare for never ending ads popping up in the corner of your eyes! XD

:D I could definitely imagine that happening, just upgrade to the new windows 10 ultimate package to turn off the ads.

actually windows 10 is bucking the microsoft trend in that it will be free!

so they claim anyway

forgive me micro$oft but I have my doubts :P

:D I could definitely imagine that happening, just upgrade to the new windows 10 ultimate package to turn off the ads.

actually windows 10 is bucking the microsoft trend in that it will be free!

so they claim anyway

forgive me micro$oft but I have my doubts :P

It will be free to install.

But you have to pay $15 a month to keep it running!

Maybe. Or so the internal leaks go.

If Microsoft is looking for a good way to lose its dominance in the desktop realm too, that would be an excellent way to do it. Very few people are actually going to pay the current price of an OS on a yearly basis forever just to use their computer.

If Microsoft is looking for a good way to lose its dominance in the desktop realm too, that would be an excellent way to do it. Very few people are actually going to pay the current price of an OS on a yearly basis forever just to use their computer.

I know that. You know that. There's a disturbing large number of people who have said that they'd still pay it, and in today's world of microtransactions, company execs tend to pull such asinine stunts.

Saying that you would pay for something, is not actually paying for it.

This looks really neat, a very capable, and arguably more sensible way to interact with computers. This seems to have enormous potential in a lot of different areas, games, 3D design, et cetera.

But....

There seem to probably be problems that arise from trying to get developers of different software to make something compatible with a yet unproven tool. Screen/mouse/keyboard/speakers seem to work just fine for a lot of people, so why should devs of other software try to build their software to work with this new device? Of course, if you cannot get programs that use it, it is difficult to develop a userbase, and it is difficult to get new software to run with your interface without a decent userbase, or a higher than usual price.

I am interested to see how this goes. I doubt that the setup we have now will last forever, but it will take some time to incorporate new devices, even if they are revolutionary, grand, and they way of the future. I am not sure that this is, and if it is, it may not be this jab at the idea that gets through to the mainstream.

Saying that you would pay for something, is not actually paying for it.

This looks really neat, a very capable, and arguably more sensible way to interact with computers. This seems to have enormous potential in a lot of different areas, games, 3D design, et cetera.

But....

There seem to probably be problems that arise from trying to get developers of different software to make something compatible with a yet unproven tool. Screen/mouse/keyboard/speakers seem to work just fine for a lot of people, so why should devs of other software try to build their software to work with this new device? Of course, if you cannot get programs that use it, it is difficult to develop a userbase, and it is difficult to get new software to run with your interface without a decent userbase, or a higher than usual price.

I am interested to see how this goes. I doubt that the setup we have now will last forever, but it will take some time to incorporate new devices, even if they are revolutionary, grand, and they way of the future. I am not sure that this is, and if it is, it may not be this jab at the idea that gets through to the mainstream.

I can see it being integrated into various design and rendering packages, they already have tablet and pen support so this seem like a natural progression to me.

If it really works well it could simplify CAD significantly

Well the adult movie industry was a very big part of VHS recorders success, so if that industry adopts it, people will pay for the new tech.

Um.... I don't really want to go there, I'm already on the "watch list" round here

Well the adult movie industry was a very big part of VHS recorders success, so if that industry adopts it, people will pay for the new tech.

Not to contest your words, but any useful technology can and will be employed for adult industry purposes.

WHERE IS WINDOWS 9???!!!!!! caps
MSFT decided to skip '9', partly due to backwards compatibility with some apps that do a simple version number check on start, see the first number '9' and assume 'Windows 95/98/ME' and either fail to run when they would work just fine, (you can use compatibility options, to get these to run) or actually might run, and cause trouble due to changes in windows.

It will be free to install.

From http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded. More details at http://www.windows.com.

The devil's in the details, but at the moment it looks like it'll be free for existing customers. I'll be taking advantage of the upgrade, but you can be sure I'll be cloning my system partitions in case Microsoft pull some shenanigans at some point, and I need to do a roll back to keep going.

EDIT:

Allegedly it won't be a subscription:

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

Edited by pxi

I came here to confirm it is a permanent upgrade:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost
The devil's in the details, but at the moment it looks like it'll be free for existing customers. I'll be taking advantage of the upgrade, but you can be sure I'll be cloning my system partitions in case Microsoft pull some shenanigans at some point, and I need to do a roll back to keep going.

If they really wanted to do that they would revoke your Windows 7/8 key. Good luck using any clone in that case. Luckily, it seems you will not have to.

I came here to confirm it is a permanent upgrade:

If they really wanted to do that they would revoke your Windows 7/8 key. Good luck using any clone in that case. Luckily, it seems you will not have to.

Suppose they could do that but I'd be extremely surprised if they went to that extent - regardless of any upgrade I own the product keys I've paid for, they'd need a reason for revoking the keys, no?

regardless of any upgrade I own the product keys I've paid for, they'd need a reason for revoking the keys, no?

Unless you have agrees to forego your previous versions with that upgrade - that is what makes it a free upgrade and not a free gift. Other developers have done this in the past and I do not think it is unreasonable. You cannot expect to have your cake and eat it too.

The whole discussion is fairly moot though, since we get it all for free.

OK. Can Mr Myerson kindly provide a few drops of his blood, some hair from his head, a few clipped finger nails and something that has been in his possession for a prolonged time and that he has worn or carried with him regularly?

Microsoft has been subjected to much criticism since the release of Win8, and they certainly wouldn't want to compound the public perception problem, with a press fiasco like "you said it was free when I upgraded, and now after a year you want a monthly payment or my computer stops working?!?!" I will happily take this free upgrade, with no such worries :) (I run windows XP in a VM, now long past "end of life," very carefully, and it still chugs along just fine.)

Long-term, Microsoft makes money through windows store add-ons, and this amazing holographic thingy that will hopefully be amazing and not cost an arm + leg ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.