Telescopes Discussion/Suggestion

Everyone knows about Hubble Telescope. It is a fantastic instrument to looking into the unknown and making things known. But what about a Kubble Telescope? I think the idea of adding Telescopes would be an awesome science instrument. It would fit perfectly with the game's core science aspect.

But it would be sort of cheating, Kishmas.

Not if you do it right! Here is Example of what I have in mind for the Telescope

Tier 1 Telescope: Default Zoom looks at the Mun in an orbital altitude. Gives reasonable amount of science.

- Tier 1 Telescopic Lens: Gives an Additional Zoom to look at the Mun's topography. Gives additional Science

- Tier 1 Thermal Lens: Gives the Default Zoom a thermal look at Mun's Surface. Gives Good Science

- Tier 1 Geothermal Lens: Gives Default Zoom a way to see if the Mun's Core is active (Or has active Plate tectonics)

Of course these things are quite ridiculous sounding and were thought of on the top of my head. But I do not see why Space telescopes cannot be part of the core game (or a add-on either). It might be a bit of a complex idea, but who wouldn't want to launch a space telescope to see the Kerbol system up close without having to spend hours coming up with Rocket Designs, complex docking systems, refueling sites, then setting an alarm for 50d just to make a course adjustment to stay there for what, a few hours?:cool:

BUT I am not saying as a suggestion to add telescopes to replace all those steps. I simply am saying that Space Telescopes are a good way to look at what is around you to learn exactly what the gravitional influence of a celestial body is or Where you want to land and such things.:wink:

I think of this thread as a Suggestion/Discussion hybrid because I not only want a "Sounds cool" or a "Nope sounds stupid" thread. I want you guys to converse about what Space telescopes positives and negatives are as a gameplay concept.

Reach for the Skies, Kerbonauts!

I think that there is a fair consensus that cameras/telescopes should be implemented as important science tools. They were certainly vital to the US Apollo Program, in Ranger, Lunar Orbiter, Surveyor, and Apollo itself, and are the essential device for many investigations of current solar system exploration. I think that part of the difficulty is in how you need to set the thing up; not all telescopes will be in LKO, you need to be able to put one around Jool, on the Mun, wherever, and deciding how much science that should get you, is not always very easy.

Alternately, there are ideas (requests) to implement stock mapping satellites to perform a variety of mapping functions of deciding good landing sites and prompting contracts et cetera. But still, it would be a major thing to implement.

Really this falls into the broader category of "cameras."

Assuming a revamp of science (more below), they could add:

Low-res camera (starting tech science item).

High-res camera.

Space telescope.

Revamp of science:

1. Separate "contracts" generated by 3d parties from "missions" generated by KSC staff. Pure science would be heavily weighted to come internally.

2. Science contracts would be generated in a way that requires certain accomplishments before others are suggested by Linus/Werner. Mapping bodies for appropriate landing sites (lo-res first (space from orbit, basically), then high res of areas of interest (the latter being like visual surveys we have now). High res would generate landing missions.

3. Space telescope would function as low-res for anything outside Kerbin SoI, high-res for Mun/Minmus. This means you could unlock the visual survey missions from Kerbin orbit for distant worlds.

If you asked the average person on the street to name something man-made in orbit, not including the ISS, what do you think they would answer?

I bet a high percentage would say the Hubble space telescope. Heck, Hubble is part of pop culture lexicon, and is still making the news.

So yeah, space telescopes, or telescopes in general should be in the stock game at some point.

Yeah, but they need to be USEFUL.

That's a great suggestion; cameras are such important equipment for science, we need it!!!

I'm imagining the trailer already: Mission control can't see anything, until Jeb straps on a disposable camera with duct tape. Now he can't see, and blunders around wildly, but Mission Control are cheering their heads off!

Edited by vexx32

I was joking about looking down in KSP, there's nothing to see, hence the ;)

I'm not worried about my RL story, it was a few decades ago, lol. The prof was in the dome, too (come to think of it, he might have been the one who suggested it---funny guy, died a few years ago).

well... on that upbeat note!

I like the idea of combining science with a contextual situation. having to place a telescope in an appropriate orbit would add challenge and variety without adding a substantial new mechanic or part. This is almost like combining satellite contracts with science instruments. great idea!

I'm rather mad that KSP isn't going to be released without some kind of real discovery mechanic. Before we sent out Pioneers and Voyagers, the outer planets were mysterious. We didn't even know what the moons looked like! It really makes sense to start out with no visibility of the planets, aside from basic colors and stripes and splotches. We should be able to discover these with spacecraft cameras and even telescopes.

If I could change just one thing about KSP… wave a wand and that element would change, I'd do this:

Each career randomizes the Kerbol system, and the only way to see the worlds, or to know how high the atmosphere is, what the mass/gravity is, etc, is to go there.

That would add "fog of war" to KSP. You'd need to send probes just to get a feel for how much dv you might need to land. Each world would be a surprise.

The problem is, those planet surface are so low-res that there are no difference watch them under your feet or from 500km away

Yes indeed. taking a photo at the resolution of most decent orbiter spacecraft is, pretty much pointless here, unless you happen to get an anomaly or are aiming right at spacecraft landed. Nevertheless, I do like the 'fog of war' suggestion; perhaps you start out viewing a crude telescopic albedo map of Duna, only half of the Mun in alright detail, and most of the other things as dots.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.