STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

Shuttle Columbia is underway. Full report following soon.

Shuttle Columbia has landed. Mission Success.

Also, here is the craft file for the telescope subassembly.

http://imgur.com/a/URZRq

Thanks! Can you post pictures in your post, as well as list any mods required, and the tonnage of the subassembly?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the planned change I am making to your shuttle ET is switching it out for the white and orange colored ET from Fuel Tanks Plus mod by Necrobones

Looking forward to it. It's about time I start a new section showcasing STS Space Shuttle spinoffs... however if you could make the ET and thus the launch stack as an attachable subassembly that'd be even more amazing. Will take a bit of engineering to make it so, but you can attach whatever you wish to the STS-4 cubic strut in the cargo bay that holds the current launch stack in place.

Edited by inigma

Thanks! Can you post pictures in your post, as well as list any mods required, and the tonnage of the subassembly?

Sure. I'll get to that when I get home in an hour or two.

here is the craft file for the telescope subassembly.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Requires:

CactEye 2 Orbital Telescope BETA 5

Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.10

Specs:

Part Count: 23Weight: 10.4t

Height: 9.1m

Length: 3.2m

Width: 2.6m

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

Sure. I'll get to that when I get home in an hour or two.

here is the craft file for the telescope subassembly.

http://imgur.com/a/URZRq

Requires:

CactEye 2 Orbital Telescope BETA 5

Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.10

Specs:

Part Count: 23Weight: 10.4t

Height: 9.1m

Length: 3.2m

Width: 2.6m

Great pics! Is the download link broke?

- - - Updated - - -

No pictures yet, but Pathfinder has been chosen as the lift vehicle for a Duna base resupply, to test it's capabilities.

Also:

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/CIMG3809_zpsjhxivmdj.jpg

Great drawing! I'm flattered!

Pathfinder is a good shuttle name.

Great stuff! Post screenshot or video to get Columbus on the official STS Space Shuttle registry!

@Ksc mission control:

Mission is over, Jenvis Kerman has returned the craft successfully. Mission was a total success. Columbus will liftoff again later tonight after refitting for a science mission.

Edited by DMSP

@Ksc mission control:

Mission is over, Jenvis Kerman has returned the craft successfully. Mission was a total success. Columbus will liftoff again later tonight after refitting for a science mission.

Kaboom delay? What's that sounds exciting!

Kliper 1 went down? Is there a story to this? :D

Very Beautiful! Be sure to share this on Reddit and in the KSP Forums Fan Works>Mission Reports forum! If you don't have reddit, and I can share it there for you if you wish. Let me know and I'll post it there for ya!

Kaboom delay? What's that sounds exciting!

Kliper 1 went down? Is there a story to this? :D

Very Beautiful! Be sure to share this on Reddit and in the KSP Forums Fan Works>Mission Reports forum! If you don't have reddit, and I can share it there for you if you wish. Let me know and I'll post it there for ya!

Sure, you can post it on reddit!

I'll put it on the mission reports, I have a whole thread for that.

Kliper 1 went down, after I tried sending up a Kliper like spacecraft. I tried as hard as I could to land Kliper 1, but I didn't have enough time. The crash landing led to one survivor out of three. The survivor was Loddas Kerman, who went on a one way mission Via "Loddas's glider" to the mountains west of KSC. He's still waiting for a base (He found a rare flat spot)!

By the way, Kaboom is a mod that allows you to blow stuff up (Via right click).

Sure, you can post it on reddit!

I'll put it on the mission reports, I have a whole thread for that.

Kliper 1 went down, after I tried sending up a Kliper like spacecraft. I tried as hard as I could to land Kliper 1, but I didn't have enough time. The crash landing led to one survivor out of three. The survivor was Loddas Kerman, who went on a one way mission Via "Loddas's glider" to the mountains west of KSC. He's still waiting for a base (He found a rare flat spot)!

By the way, Kaboom is a mod that allows you to blow stuff up (Via right click).

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2xtf02/space_shuttle_columbus_mission_an_intrepid_class/.compact

Kaboom. Sounds interesting... will check it out. I love your shuttle mission. Well screenshotted. :) op updated.

Well took me a week but finally got the Hubble done, Make sure the lens cover is facing forward and have in mind that the solar panels must be manually attached (make sure to do it cautiously, the solar panels are VERY prone to breaking).

I comes with 2 MMU's and one giant telescope, have all tanks filled except for the bottom tank on the External tank.

Sub assembly: http://www./download/8cdr994hv0wsrrz/STS_Hubble_Space_Telescope.craft

Imgur thing is broke http://imgur.com/a/h0wxY

Edited by xoknight

Well took me a week but finally got the Hubble done, Make sure the lens cover is facing forward and have in mind that the solar panels must be manually attached (make sure to do it cautiously, the solar panels are VERY prone to breaking).

I comes with 2 MMU's and one giant telescope, have all tanks filled except for the bottom tank on the External tank.

Sub assembly: http://www./download/8cdr994hv0wsrrz/STS_Hubble_Space_Telescope.craft

http://imgur.com/a/h0wxY#0

Absolutely amazing. Just wow. Awesome!!! I love how an EVA is required to assemble this payload in orbit. All stock too it looks like? What's the tonnage? I'll list it in the OP ASAP (aka after I wake up, lol since I'm just headed to bed after shutting KSP down for the night) Well designed! Be sure to share it in the Cargo Bay showcase that is sticked in Spacecraft Exchange too! :) It looks like you've got the panel concept down for the cargo subs. I was thinking creatively...have you tried experimenting with the art of hiding panels inside the walls and the floor of the cargo bay? No worries on this sub, just wanted to share with other engineers reading this. Some subs like this it does a great job to make the bay look like it was used! Hidden panels or not, this is a well done subassembly! I will fly it on my next shuttle mission and post a screenie!

Don't forget to share this on reddit. If you don't do reddit, let me know and I'll share it! :)

Tonight I was playing with rooting the STS-4 cargobay and testing various cockpit subassembly ideas I have. I think with the next generation I'll root the bay for this purpose going forward to give STS sub engineers more room to play with than just cargo bay subs.

...and had this random thought of offering some sort of challenge on the Challenge forum requiring the use of the STS.

Edited by inigma

Yea it's all stock, I just could not get the solar panels to fit inside the cargo bay, so the logical answer was to fold them in... but this is stock and there are no mechanical joints yet, so I just though of strapping MMU's on them. Yea, I will probably share it on reddit, but as you can tell, the telescope wasn't made to look that great. I just wanted it to fit in the cargo bay.

Hubble Telescope: 6.71t

Hubble+EVA Rig: 10.46t

Yea it's all stock, I just could not get the solar panels to fit inside the cargo bay, so the logical answer was to fold them in... but this is stock and there are no mechanical joints yet, so I just though of strapping MMU's on them. Yea, I will probably share it on reddit, but as you can tell, the telescope wasn't made to look that great. I just wanted it to fit in the cargo bay.

Hubble Telescope: 6.71t

Hubble+EVA Rig: 10.46t

Thank you! OP updated!

@Ksc Mission Control:

Columbus is delivering something special to orbit today!

A IPV will be launched on board Columbus.

Because 7 is the Kerbal number for Either great sucsess or Devastating failure, STS-7 must be careful!

(I read that in a thread somewhere and I played along)

@Ksc Mission Control:

Liftoff! Columbus is on its way!

- - - Updated - - -

@Ksc Mission Control:

Gravity turn begun, sit tight for more info!

- - - Updated - - -

@Ksc Mission Control:

Malfunctions on the boosters, separated prematurely. We should have enough fuel for the mission.

@Ksc Mission Control:

Out of the Atmosphere!

@Ksc Mission Control:

External Tank empty, beginning cruise to Ap.

@Ksc Mission Control:

Beginning orbit insertion.

@Ksc Mission Control:

Major mission malfunction.

Monopropelleunt insufficient for orbit.

IPV escaped, Sat is being checked on.

Shuttle Columbus is falling back to Kerbin.

- - - Updated - - -

@Ksc Mission Control:

Everything's ok.

IPV is in orbit, so is the ComSat.

Shuttle is "Returning" to Kerbin.

- - - Updated - - -

@Ksc Mission Control:

Mission has ended, turned out ok. Photos are being processed. The crew preformed extraordinarily even under the circumstances. Jenvis Kerman landed Columbus in a very rocky hill area. Hats off to him, the shuttle almost crashed into hills... 3 times. STS-8 will be another module to Low Lab. Right now, our engineers are investigating the launch mishap and the fuel failure. A second shuttle is being prepared for STS-8, a brand new shuttle called Exevor.

Was reading this. The suspense had me on the edge of my seat. I've sepped the boosters early before. I figured out if I pack a bit more fuel in the ET it helps cover emergencies like this. That moment when you have to decide RTLS or ATO is a harrowing one. Well done on saving the mission and the shuttle. I've lost many prototypes and Kerbals to mountain landing zones. Looking forward to pics or vid!

Edited by inigma

Was reading this. The suspense had me on the edge of my seat. I've sepped the boosters early before. I figured out if I pack a bit more fuel in the ET it helps cover emergencies like this. That moment when you have to decide RTLS or ATO is a harrowing one. Well done on saving the mission and the shuttle. I've lost many prototypes and Kerbals to mountain landing zones. Looking forward to pics or vid!

Haha! I rarely sweat in KSP and this was one of those times! The mountains cause problems don't they :D. I've lost 20 Kerbals in DMSP (save) and I have 99 active! I wonder who 100 will be! Most of my Kerbals are stationed on Bases... Especially the ones on Laythe!

Haha! I rarely sweat in KSP and this was one of those times! The mountains cause problems don't they :D. I've lost 20 Kerbals in DMSP (save) and I have 99 active! I wonder who 100 will be! Most of my Kerbals are stationed on Bases... Especially the ones on Laythe!

Its incidents like these that kinda makes one want to scout out and flag alternate landing sites...

I was thinking about starting starting a series of challenges using the STS Space Shuttle and reward successful pilots and commanders with mission patches for their forum signature and elsewhere.

The first challenge would be to successfully fly the STS Space Shuttle, orbit at least once, and then land back at the KSC runway.

The second challenge would be to launch the STS Fuel Pod to the highest possible orbit using the STS Space Shuttle, and land back at KSC runway.

The third challenge would have to do with station construction using the STS Space Shuttle.

Completing any one would earn someone a mission patch with STS Pilot mentioned at the bottom. Completing all three would have a unique mission patch with STS Commander mentioned at the bottom.

I might solicit help for such mission badge rewards. If anyone has creative mission patch/reward ideas they'd like to submit, I'm all for it!

Edited by inigma

Seems like an interesting idea. Too bad i fail at landing back at KSC. (Come close but not close enough)

Sampa, I made this for you. I had to learn how to land this using MechJeb the first time. After watching how MechJeb did it, this is what I discovered best:

6KKHgEu.jpg

Edited by inigma

Very nice...i wonder what the burn data would be if i were doing rss/ro combo...

Thanks, next time i get on, i'll slap some parachutes on the sides of the cargo bay (for emergency purposes), stick,two,kerbals in, and try for orbit again. Then use this chart to, try and return.

I've done all of those but I have no proof for the fuel depot but there is one attached to my station

No worries Jack. I believe you. Once I finalize the designs, you are welcome to any of your pic, no challenge entry required. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.