200 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Play KSP?

• For Bills and Bobs ages 1-6
    • Small parts: Best for children 6+
    • 10-15: Jebediah supervision recommended
    • Warning: Contains Rocket Science. Most suitable for ages 15+
    • Rated M for Moho: 18+ Only
    • Great for all ages, pilots, engineers, and scientists

I put suitable for all ages... but I really think that most kids under the age of ten would not get the most out of it, since they wouldn't understand it as well and usually don't have much patience, as KSP does have a huge learning curve. I'm saying most though... I can see certain 8 year olds loving this. Kids under the age of six wouldn't really get much from this game at all, I feel like, expect the joy of seeing things explode. Again, maybe you know some super exceptional 3 year old...

I put suitable for all ages... but I really think that most kids under the age of ten would not get the most out of it, since they wouldn't understand it as well and usually don't have much patience, as KSP does have a huge learning curve. I'm saying most though... I can see certain 8 year olds loving this. Kids under the age of six wouldn't really get much from this game at all, I feel like, expect the joy of seeing things explode. Again, maybe you know some super exceptional 3 year old...

I think we, as humans, need to expect more of our children. If we accelerated their learning cycle, did away with summer vacay, and used smarter education methods, we would have a much more intelligent and diverse workforce. I agree though about the age breakdowns.

IMHO:

There's at least something in KSP for any age group. My 4-year-old loves it, 'cause it's got cute little green guys running around, and 'cause when she hits the space bar stuff happens with (often) loud bangs. Does she have a clue how to 'play it properly'? Not one. Who cares? Not me (or her).

My 8-year-old likes it 'cause it's got cool space ships and he can crash them and blow stuff up. He definitely loved the explodable buildings update.

I love it because I've always liked simulations, and it's the first half-way-decent space sim I've ever seen. I love that I can do actual maths based on real-world calculations and have it work (generally, with a few limitations) in game.

I've heard reports of a 9-year-old KSP fan coming to one of the conventions/events Squad attented in the past, and he was quite proficient with the terminology and even participated in a live contest against teenagers and adults.

So it would seem like children definitely have the ability to grasp and learn the game if they like it, but at the same time you probably want at least a certain level of understanding of maths and scientific language that you don't really develop until secondary education. Therefore I voted 10+ as the "best" age. That's not to say younger children can't enjoy it though...

The OP's someone is clearly an idiot :)

"KSP does not contain guns, or require a team of men to shoot at other men, or stabbing people, or setting them on fire with magic lightning. Therefore it is for children." Really?

KSP is more interesting, more unique, and more challenging than any CoD clone will ever be. It encourages out-of-the-box thinking, logical analysis, forward planning, and rewards you for not getting your crew killed. It gives you loose problems and a box of tools, and requires you to work without guidance or help. Frankly it is far more adult in its attitude than any FPS or hack-n-slash is ever going to be, and yet, the un-modded stock game is simple enough to be played 'for fun' without deep complexity. A number of popular KSP youtubers talk about playing the game with their kids, while simultaneously having a great time with it themselves.

Like all sandbox games, KSP is as interesting as the player is imaginative, and imagination doesn't require any specific age group. If this game is aimed at children, I'm clearly Peter Pan :)

I think because someone looked at Kerbal EDU, they assumed it was for children. Though physics knowledge are for all ages to learn. Gosh, there are so many thing from middle/high school physics I have forgotten (because they were boring in class) that I re-learned through KSP (because seeing physics in action is much more awesome).

Its cartoony, its forgiving enough that you don't need math, and you can just guestimate....

But its a physics game, and if you want, you can actually do the math ... algebra, calculus, etc to avoid over or underbuilding rockets and be more efficient.

Luckily, it doesn the orbital calculations for you...

If it didn't display orbits, and you have to calculate manuever nodes yourself, and fit an orbit to the observed positions... it would just be a series of math excercises for college level students...

All ages

I have a three year old and a four year old, they both enjoy KSP for the explosions and silly green men. The four year old can put some parts together with a little guidance, and both of them can mash the spacebar.

I have yet to teach them the subtleties of piloting and rocket science. Soon.

The four year old can put some parts together with a little guidance, and both of them can mash the spacebar.

Important skill to have! Ask anyone who has experienced sudden in-flight realisation that the staging order is wrong :P

I'm quite young, and I'm sort of an expert, and I use KER, and have a pretty good grasping on all the terms. I think that any kid with an interest in this type of thing, has the patience, and has a tiny bit of learning ability can play it. But any kid can play it for the big kerbooms. I would say around 9 is the minimum for serious gameplay. I have built SSTOs, VTOLs, and sent a probe to Eeloo. But Moho...

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Removed age reference.

The game is suitable for anyone, but young kids are going to miss most of it, because they don't have the ability for abstract reasoning yet. I think that 10-12 is the age, where most kids start developing the cognitive skills that allow them to enjoy the entire game.

A quick reminder of Rule 4.4:

4.4 Users under the age of 18

Users under the age of 18 who reveal their age and/or face on official KSP community channels, may have their messages/photos removed for privacy purposes.

We've had to remove a number of posts from this thread because people are publically admitting that they are under 18. While you will not be infracted for this, it is a privacy and potentially a COPPA issue. Your posts will be removed, you will be warned as a matter of procedure, and for exceptionally young users, you may be asked to provide proof that you have permission to post here.

Please everyone bear that in mind before posting in this thread (or indeed, anywhere on the forum).

A quick reminder of Rule 4.4:

4.4 Users under the age of 18

Users under the age of 18 who reveal their age and/or face on official KSP community channels, may have their messages/photos removed for privacy purposes.

We've had to remove a number of posts from this thread because people are publically admitting that they are under 18. While you will not be infracted for this, it is a privacy and potentially a COPPA issue. Your posts will be removed, you will be warned as a matter of procedure, and for exceptionally young users, you may be asked to provide proof that you have permission to post here.

Please everyone bear that in mind before posting in this thread (or indeed, anywhere on the forum).

i'm 17 and i have picture of my face as profile avatar ... is that ok ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.