NOPECOPTER: maple seed inspired assymetric helicopter

Parallax

Looks amazing! I feel like the 'stupidity' rating on all your Kerbals starts going up from all the shaking of their brains...

Side note: Does anyone else watch youtube videos of KSP and catch themselves trying/wanting to right click and turn the camera to get a better angle?

That is by far the most weirdes working vehicle i have seen so far in KSP. A fine piece of engineering you have there. Kudos to you, Sir!

...Side note: Does anyone else watch youtube videos of KSP and catch themselves trying/wanting to right click and turn the camera to get a better angle?

I sometimes even try that with screenshots... Who cares, if a great game lets one do strange things :)

actually yes!

htxztbe5ikmfv3bgkn9v.jpg

this thing was built before WW1, but it didnt work, the craft was a bit underpowered and not sufficiently balanced. then the guys working on it lost funding or something and the project was abandoned.

- - - Updated - - -

just noticed something else too, in the lockheed video they said something about it being unstable at lower rpm's and high angle of attack, i think thats what made mine so unstable as well. it felt much more stable when i was slowly descending/maintaining altitude than when trying to climb as quickly as possible.

Looks amazing! I feel like the 'stupidity' rating on all your Kerbals starts going up from all the shaking of their brains...

Side note: Does anyone else watch youtube videos of KSP and catch themselves trying/wanting to right click and turn the camera to get a better angle?

All the time. It pisses me off when it doesn't work too... before I realize how stupid I'm being.

This thing is quite scary. I was about to yell "Don't do it!!!" just before it approached that low bridge. I wonder if you could further balance it to remove that slight wiggle. This thing reminds me of a ceiling fan in my acupuncturists office. Took me a while to realize it only had one blade.

not quite as wobbly this time, just need to keep the rotor speed up, and the blade pitch down and she's good.

how do you create a pivot point? or make things spin?

Infernal Robotics mod Edited by Parallax

just noticed something else too, in the lockheed video they said something about it being unstable at lower rpm's and high angle of attack, i think thats what made mine so unstable as well. it felt much more stable when i was slowly descending/maintaining altitude than when trying to climb as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure how well FAR models this, but if you've got any horizontal velocity at all you may be dealing with asymmetric lift due to differences in the relative wind speed over the blade as it goes from the advancing to retreating side relative to your direction of travel. This would be exacerbated by a high AoA, and in extreme case of high forward airspeed and high AoA you might stall the blade when it moves to the retreating side, causing massive vibrations, uncontrolled rolling, and crashing.

Having said all that... what's it's max forward speed? :D

WOW, this is just impressive.

I do feel bad for teh pilot, i think riding a external seat on a SRB would be less scary.......

Anyways, the only thing ive seen more impressive then this are pure stock choppers, and those dont exactly work well at all nor are they controllable easily, whereas your design does look like it is both able to fly, and actually fly where you want it to fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.