Attack of the Pink Textures

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I was setting up a RSS install, got it working really well with -force-d3d11, was doing testing before starting a career and noticed aerodynamic effects caused the textures to go pink on the ship, explosions and particles.

after trying a few things i switched to -force-opengl and the problem was no longer present.

sure enough the problem persists in the stock game.

is this something to do with my graphics card? (gtx 660ti)

possibly a software issue (dx or driver)?

or is this a problem with unity/ksp?

Edited by Grim187

It looks like either your graphics card does not fully support DX11, or for whatever reason it isn't running the shaders correctly with DX11. As-is, however, Unity's DX11 implementation is not optimal, and there are frequent graphical glitches in other areas as well, so it could merely be an unfortunate glitch that arises with your video card for whatever reason.

It's always worth seeing if you can find a driver update that might fix the issue, though. :)

This looks more like a Unity issue (Unity 4 doesn't tie into DX11 properly)... which is weird considering DX11 was designed to be backwards compatible with DX9 and DX10 apps...

I also get these graphic issues on DX11, and I've been looking around and I've noticed it's fairly common. My card works fine in other DX11 games, so it's probably not the drivers... and you have an Nvidia card, I've got an ATI card...

The glitches seem to be consistent, everyone has the same problems... a) pink aerodynamic/re-entry shaders and B) weird/missing shaders on the VAB/launchpad. I think parachutes also get something wonky going on with their transparent parts on the textures, and some people have reported missing surface textures on Minmus.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Make sure you enter the command correctly -- it's all one command, not two separate ones. :)

Aye, copy & pasted straight from the Unity manual and everything. This is my output_log from last play session, and my Steam currently reads '-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow'.

Initialize engine version: 4.5.5f1 (7684ad0c5a44)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1119]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 2085 MB (via DXGI)
Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0

Heh... I still use it because it seems to work better...

-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

this fixed it.

thank you.

Edit:

it seems that is no different than not using a switch.

SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 9.18.13.4448])
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 9.18.13.4448])
SM: 50 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0])

to be thorough

SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.4 [4.4.0 NVIDIA 344.48])
Edited by Grim187
-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded = dx9

Aye, copy & pasted straight from the Unity manual and everything. This is my output_log from last play session, and my Steam currently reads '-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow'.

Initialize engine version: 4.5.5f1 (7684ad0c5a44)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1119]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 2085 MB (via DXGI)
Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0

Heh... I still use it because it seems to work better...

VERY interesting. Mine says the same thing. I don't care *that* much because the only reason I'm using it is for the memory savings and it is doing SOMETHING that's saving memory without sacrificing frame-rate. But still. That's weird.

Might have something to do with how the Unity manual states that that flag (among a few others) is only supported in Windows Store app distribution modes. It's clearly doing something, whatever that something is. shrugs​.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.