Flying the KSC obstacle course in the DeadBolt MkII

katateochi

One of the things I really enjoy doing for a bit of fast paced fun is to take a really fast plane and fly at very low altitude (ie just scraping the ground) and try to weave in and out of the buildings at KSC. I've now come up with a set route which I call the KSC obstacle course. The aim is to fly it without going above 120m and to pass between certain buildings as checkpoints. This is the course;

KkvZcl4h.jpg

You can get the start of the course however you like, but I start timing the run from take off (just cos that's easy). With the craft that I use, if you bank hard left from the runway once you reach 200m/s, it will bring you pretty much to the start of the course.

And this is the craft, it's called the DeadBolt, because flying at 240m/s mere inches above the ground is not something that many pilots live to talk about!

The craft is 100% stock and you can

download it from KerablX: http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/DeadBoltMKII

ayzW0Zel.jpg

And here's a vid showing my best run through the obstacle course (and also what not completing it looks like!). While it was my best run it wasn't perfect, I went above the 120m ceiling at one point and missed a checkpoint, but the course is so darn difficult that actually completing it at all is hard enough! So I counted that run (which was done in just over a minute, timed from take off).

This is a snap from my best run which I'm particularly pleased with;

feDjzeYl.jpg

I'm moving at 245m/s at that point and within inches of both the ground and that satellite dish. I flew through that unscathed but I did freak out a bit after passing the next dish and ended up pulling up too hard so I missed the next checkpoint.

Do you guys thing I should make a forum challenge out of this course?

• 1 year later...

This KSC Obstacle Course has a few very fun challenges, first the craft design which is very not easy, then finding a good speed setting for the craft to handle the course, AND staying below 120m or under 100m? yes pro! @katateochi I wish I would have found this post about a year ago because it is way too fun! 

I plan to release the Pylon Set and my new craft Velocity7 on the Spacecraft Exchange Thread when testing is complete.

Velocity-7

HpXag1n.png

The Course with some Pylons setup

Ah9gVUg.png

Edited by Castille7

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.