[0.90] Lazor System v35 (Dec 17)

Romfarer

Thanks for the update. Btw you might wanna update some links on your thread, since spaceport isn't in use anymore. And hopefully lazor guided weapons is updated too :P that's my main purpose of this mod.

For those who earlier reported having problems with lazor's render distance setting:

From checking the source, i'm 99% certain that lazor explicitely restores the DEFAULT render distance setting, if any timewarp is enabled. More specifically, whenever timewarp is not exactly 1 (so, it might also restore the vanilla 2km limit, if you via a mod enable slowmo - depends on how the mod implements slowmo).

TT's plugin on the other hand never automatically restores the vanilla setting. It only restores vanilla, if you tell set it to disabled.

As for the "why?": I don't know. Romfarer might have a good reason to restore vanilla on timewarp - in which case TT's approach might cause problems during timewarp. On the other hand: Not even informing users about this behavior, is guaranteed to destroy user vessels in the atmosphere when they do not expect it (for example, during parachute usage - then again, supposedly chutes are buggy with timewarp on their own.... is there anything in this game that doesn't randomly eat vessels?)

Based on the above, i've created a plugin that does nothing else than raising the unload distance, but playing it safe by not raising it above 60km. This should be more than enough for airdrops, yet hopefully low enough to not destroy landed vessels at the horizon.

Unfortunatelly, i'm going to keep this for myself instead of letting others benefit - for the following reasons:

1. License-wise, Romfarer's as well as TT's code is a minefield.

2. But wait, the actual magic is just two codelines. Can you put a f ucking license (go ahead and ban me for the F-word!) on two codelines?

3. Screw this, given recent events, seems this comm wants to be worse off. And after all, i'm treated better for simply taking, yet punished for doing trivial services that should be standard. And finally, Sturgeon's law seems to be well at home in the spirits around here.

Then again - if you want to play with fire, here's the gasoline:

vessel.unloadDistance = floatMetres;
vessel.loadDistance = floatMetres;
vessel.distancePackThreshold = floatMetres;
vessel.distanceLandedPackThreshold = floatMetres;

(Yes, it's that simple)

From checking the source, i'm 99% certain that lazor explicitely restores the DEFAULT render distance setting, if any timewarp is enabled. More specifically, whenever timewarp is not exactly 1 (so, it might also restore the vanilla 2km limit, if you via a mod enable slowmo - depends on how the mod implements slowmo).

As for the "why?": I don't know. Romfarer might have a good reason to restore vanilla on timewarp - in which case TT's approach might cause problems during timewarp. On the other hand: Not even informing users about this behavior, is guaranteed to destroy user vessels in the atmosphere when they do not expect it (for example, during parachute usage - then again, supposedly chutes are buggy with timewarp on their own.... is there anything in this game that doesn't randomly eat vessels?)

1. License-wise, Romfarer's as well as TT's code is a minefield.

If you want to play with fire, rip "random" parts out of my source code, put it together in a plugin and see what happends :P In all honesty, i'm not going to "prosecute" you for taking a few lines out of my code and making it into a plugin, people have done this for a long time now. Just be aware that there is a good chanse those few lines require a whole lot of other stuff that is not so easy to see just by looking at the code.

It is true that lazor resets the loading distances to default when timewarping and automatically restores your setting once timewarp is disengaged. The reason is quite simple: Say you have 10 vessels landed on the surface somewhere, you have a lazor enabled craft in orbit within the set loading distance from the landed vessels. If you then timewarp at max timewarp you will then rapidly load and unload those vessels every time you make a pass. This will eventually lead to a crash because the engine can't handle loading and unloading that fast.

Sorry romfarer but do you have any idea what is causing my issue? It's the same arm from the robotic arms pack. Sorry to bother you but I'm desperate to use the arm XD

First of all im going to need you to send me your output_log.txt. A description of what is happening when would also help greatly.

Also, have you downloaded and installed version 34 of lazor?

Thanks for the update. Btw you might wanna update some links on your thread, since spaceport isn't in use anymore. And hopefully lazor guided weapons is updated too :P that's my main purpose of this mod.

Hmmm, what links?

If you want to play with fire, rip "random" parts out of my source code, put it together in a plugin and see what happends :P In all honesty, i'm not going to "prosecute" you for taking a few lines out of my code and making it into a plugin, people have done this for a long time now. Just be aware that there is a good chanse those few lines require a whole lot of other stuff that is not so easy to see just by looking at the code.

It is true that lazor resets the loading distances to default when timewarping and automatically restores your setting once timewarp is disengaged. The reason is quite simple: Say you have 10 vessels landed on the surface somewhere, you have a lazor enabled craft in orbit within the set loading distance from the landed vessels. If you then timewarp at max timewarp you will then rapidly load and unload those vessels every time you make a pass. This will eventually lead to a crash because the engine can't handle loading and unloading that fast.

Ok, so does this mean that to get the loading distance to work properly, I just cannot time warp at all? Is there a way to disable this for users who want to take on the risk of a game crashing? Thank you a lot for this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.