Quakken. Simple, quick and useful VTOL SSTO. Noob-proof and under 40 parts!

Rune

Hello again, airhoggers! Long time no SSTO, right? Don't worry, I have more than a few awaiting for me to write their stuff up and/or do the final touches on them, or just fly the damn test flight to take the pictures (help there would be appreciated, BTW). In any case, today I bring to you the sum of all cuteness. It was so cute and tiny, I had to steal a name from Erfworld (if you don't know that comic book, and you are into strategy games and/or fantasy settings, I heartily recommend it). Behold the mighty 'Quakken'! Actually, I might still change the name to 'Dwagon'... what do you guys think about it?

ihgFgYC.png

Yup, it's positively tiny. And not much clipping going on there! The intakes are fully hidden inside the engines, right, but that's pretty much it and there are only two per engine. Still, it still manages to climb to orbit in a frighteningly short amount of time, and it has TWR out the wazoo at all times. It even manages 800m/s afterwards! Refueled, of course, it has much more, over 2km/s IIRC, so Munar missions from LKO depots are totally possible, as is Duna shuttling (which is what it was built for, really). Landing is also a breeze with the chute (though you need some engine assist to land intact, that's trivial), so this should be a craft for everyone. And with 'everyone', I include the guys with truly potato computers: 36 parts on the pad.

Now, you want to know the craziest part? I built it with the side port at the right height so this can dock with my Base-In-A-Box modules: capable of stock refuel offworld using them! Just drive a fuel module to it, and /or build the base around it as an escape vehicle. If you are feeling like Scott Manley, you can even try to dock it while landing!

CZzzBQZ.png

And really, it is so simple that there is very little else to say about it: point it to the sky and go, basically (ok, you might want to airhog form 20 to 25kms until the RAPIERs auto-switch to rocket power). Hope you enjoy it!

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/p3m4el70kxuz929/VSSTO+Mk+XIII+-+Quakken.craft

Rune. Not everything has to be hundreds of tons and parts, right?

Edited by Rune

Always amused by tiny things that manage to SSTO their way to orbit from the launchpad :) I like the combination of docking ports too, makes sure it can attach to anything it's likely to meet!

Do you ascend shallow like a spaceplane, or more like a rocket?

Edited by eddiew

Aww damn that's cute!

Thanks! That's what I thought too. :)

Always amused by tiny things that manage to SSTO their way to orbit from the launchpad :) I like the combination of docking ports too, makes sure it can attach to anything it's likely to meet!

Do you ascend shallow like a spaceplane, or more like a rocket?

Up to 10~15kms, just like a rocket, but from 20 to 25kms you want to limit your vertical speed like in other airbreathers to around 50m/s in order to speed up on airbreathers. The high TWR makes that quick, though.

Rune strikes again! Great craft. Reminds me of the DC-X.

I should to tally revisit that concept, because it's awesome, and do it with chemical rockets like it's meant to be. Oh well, I suppose I have that X-33 replica in the works... and of course, this is the 'VSSTO Mk XIII', meaning this is the thirteenth vertical takeoff STTO designed I've made, and thus there are twelve others (some, even, from recent versions). There must be something more like it in there! ;)

Rune. My engineering output surpasses my marketing output by far.

Oh yea! I can't wait to fly this.

Thanks! Did you solve your issues with mediafire? I hope so!

That IS cute. Now I have to build something similar. How many units of fuel does that have?

There is a pic in there showing it, actually, I always include an orbital one with the UI up and a KER window so you have access to the juicy numbers. In this case, 810/990 fuel/oxi, or in other words, the tanks you see plus a couple of FL-T200 tanks clipped inside the side ones for the extra liquid fuel.

Did someone say Noob-Proof? I'll be the judge of THAT! :cool:

It looks great, I can't wait to try it out.

Just remember, you can't make orbit unless you build up horizontal speed a bit on airbreathers from 20 to 25kms, and you should be totally fine. Have fun!

Rune. Disclaimer: everything can be crashed if you try hard enough! :P

I don't quite know why, but now I want to build a tiny apollo based off of this...

Edit 01: Quakken refits for docking lander and docking to numerous fuel depots set up. No parachutes, which is why there is a fuel depot around Kerbin and the Mun.

Edit 02: Lander headed up, the depots are done.

Edit 03: Lander in orbit with crew onboard. It's an incentive. Sorta.

Edited by Tangle

I don't quite know why, but now I want to build a tiny apollo based off of this...

Edit 01: Quakken refits for docking lander and docking to numerous fuel depots set up. No parachutes, which is why there is a fuel depot around Kerbin and the Mun.

Edit 02: Lander headed up, the depots are done.

Edit 03: Lander in orbit with crew onboard. It's an incentive. Sorta.

I don't think I quite understand where you are going with this... Apollo with a SSTO? You are going to have to explain further! With screenies! :D

Rune. Good luck with it anyway!

I don't think I quite understand where you are going with this... Apollo with a SSTO? You are going to have to explain further! With screenies! :D

Rune. Good luck with it anyway!

Screenshots coming when the mission is over. I mean Apollo as in lander/orbiter separate system, cause that's where most people know it from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.