What was the First thing you did when you got KSP?

michaelsteele3

Very first thing, tbh I can't remember it was so long ago, but I'm guessing that it was; pressed-space, watched rocket suddenly produce limbs that flailed everywhere before exploding. Leading to the realization that everything had to be strutted to everything else. This was of course way back in the day when it was the "Kerbal Strut Program", so glad part-joints are stronger now!

I sometimes look back at some of my early vids and laugh at just how wrong my approach was. First Mun landing I killed all horizontal velocity while still at an alt of over 100km and then descended vertically!!

Easy to remember since it was last Saturday. I went through 2 of the tutorials. Then played around with trying to get into orbit, took me till Sunday afternoon to achieve orbit. My first flight was a disaster; the parachute opened right at the launch which resulted in fireworks.

This weekend when I get home from work the goal will be to orbit and land on the Mun.

Played the demo for about 5 mins. Then demanded that Squad take my money. Installed the full game, built a multistage rocket, put Jeb in orbit and then sat staring at the screen for a good 10 mins grinning like a fool realizing I had just fallen in love.

thing I did in the demo....

built rediculously huge rockets that were perfect pancakes, all using the same engine/fuel/nose cone combo, with a pod on the top.... no staging, just hoping for it to work...

I also thought space was at 100,000m exactly... I managed to get past it several times but couldnt understand that for some reason I wasn't staying up there :P real physicist there you know....

I still have a demo version, aswell as all my original crafts for it....

I played the demo, figured out how the game worked, landed on the mun in a tutorial for landing there, bought the game for the spaceplanes... and I barely use planes now. I'm more of a, "Give me some SRB's, a fuel tank, a nuke engine, a cockpit, a kerbal, and some RCS, and I'll get you either crashing into the moon or landing on Duna. One of the two," person.

Installed the demo around noon on a saturday. Didn't read a tutorial, never loaded a stock vehicle. Stopped eating, sleeping etc. until on sunday evening, Jeb safely returned to Kerbin from the first successful Mun landing.

Well, sort of successful, as this historic feat of kerbalkind will forever be remembered for its anticlimax:

Jeb: Keuwston, I have a problem

Kapcom: Say again Jeb

Jeb: I'm trying to get out, but there's no ladder. Was I supposed to bring a rope or something?

Kapcom: Errrmm... standby

So the first Kerbal to land on another world only got to admire the view out the window.

Later, an investigation uncovered that the designer of Jeb's spacesuit had been denied a job as spacecraft designer, and to take revenge, he designed the suit to be a little spacecraft in itself, with rocket thrusters and all. Neither Kapcom nor Jeb knew at the time that the suit would have gotten around the problem of the missing ladder.

Went absolutely nuts with SRBs. Kept adding more and more trying to get to orbit, and kept shaking apart when I went insanely over terminal velocity. Didn't know what struts were for yet. Then I went to YouTube and discovered Scott Manley.

First thing I did when I got KSP... was install it.

I guess you are with the majority of us in here ( except the ones that had other people to do install for them :D ) ;)

I aproached the game in a systematic fashion, so the first thing I did was to get a capsule, one SRB ( this was in the time there was only one type of them :D ) and a parachute ( somehow I realized I could need one ... ) just to see how far could I go. I was not impressed :P

Then I lost 2 or 3 h of VAB working until I noticed that the game had a symmetry tool :D

On my first rocket launch after buying the game I accidentally burned into a trajectory intercepting the Mun. I'm not sure how I managed that, but it took me quite a few more rockets before I figured out how to land on it and return safely.

I discovered KSP and then quickly got a friend of mine into it. For the first month or so, we competed with each other seeing who could get the highest altitude.

This was either right after the Mun was added to the game or just before. Either way, we had no idea it was even there.

built a small rocket, tried to launch, realized that I actually got less than a frame per second. I had a videocard whos main purchasing point was its energy efficency :(

So I didn't play again until I built a new computer.

It was late one night, sometime between Christmas and New Year's. I did the usual holiday Steam sale routine: load up Steam, gawk at all the games on super sale, buy one or two games, then never play them. BUT...this time Kerbal Space Program was on sale for like $20.

It had been on my wishlist for a while, so I thought to myself, what the heck! I bought the game (and also Spintires), installed it and played a couple tutorials. The twitch of addiction was clearly there, but I ignored it; I said to myself "I'll just start up a science mode game, build a rocket or two and go to bed by midnight". Yeah, right. It was about 4 a.m. by the time I finally pried myself away from the computer. By then I had already killed Jeb twice, flown to the North pole, and orbitted Kerbin. I had planned to go to Minmus before going to bed, but I held off. Good thing too, it took me 6 hours the next day to finally get something to Minmus! (I swear it felt like 30 minutes, tops). What a great game.

Made something based on what I saw on videos, pressed spacebar occassionally after launching, and watched the poor trio in the command module being sent into the void with no chances of returning (0.10).

That was the only thing you can possibly do before on the said version (no planets, tw, moons, orbital nodes, guides, etc).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.