The stages of ksp (Looking back on our favorite game.)

daniel l.

The sad reality is that a meme has developed surrounding Kerbals and destruction. The two are not necessarily linked. Squad is making a poor decision to support contining the meme in absentia.
This is really what I was driving at. Even in the last Squadcast Maxmaps was going on about how female Kerbals would be just as "disposable" as the males. It's this sort of reinforcement of the callous disregard for the characters in the game, and the furtherance of disaster as laudable in social media (while I still "liked" KSP on Facebook) that is harmful to the game.

Just my opinion. The whole "LOLSOKERBAL" thing just makes me sad.

The whole "LOLSOKERBAL" thing just makes me sad.

I agree, Regex. Just look at the KSC: this massive, modern space complex that can construct and launch massive spacecraft. The Kerbals, who made KSC? Babbling idiots. It doesn't match up, I tell you!

I see the Kerbals as very intelligent beings. Obviously if they can start a new space program and colonize the entire solar system in less than fifty years surely they must know a thing or two about spaceflight we don't. :P

The fact that a part the community considers this to be a major milestone or laudable is really sad to me.

Now, I had way more destruction back before 0.235, after the arm update launchpad fails are very rare rare same with telescoping, most common fail is fails during srb separation who destroys the core stage this rarely makes nice explosions compared with structural fails with 1+6 asparagus back in 0.23 who generated awesome explosions.

Carrier mode is the obvious big thing in later updates.

Am I the only one who wants this side-mounted, haphazard flight bar for early Career mode? It fits with the "throwing stuff together" mentality very nicely, and it could be upgradable (with upgrades of either Mission Control or the Tracking Center).
I seem to be the only one who wants career mode to start off as more like Wernher Von Braun's initial tests with rockets and not everything being taken from scrap. The current style is fine really.

EDIT: That water also looks so nice and clean. I wonder if anyone is going to mod in new water because of this now.

Edited by Pseudo Gold

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I remember some of those pre-release screenshots from the old blog a few years ago.  Definitely an interesting look back into the past.

And by the way, that was the first time I ever played with the 0.7.3 release.  Didn't really play with it before, but decided to see what it was like before all the conveniences were added. :P

Edit:  Crap, didn't realize this was an old thread. :P  Feel free to remove.

Edited by Bandock
Just realized the year the last post was made.

1 hour ago, Bandock said:

Edit:  Crap, didn't realize this was an old thread. :P  Feel free to remove.

I've been enjoying reading the posts and until you pointed it out, I didn't realize this thread was that old.

Since it has come back from the dead..... at what point did space become black? More important, as it is my pet peeve, when did the sky turning black at 6k become a thing. Most jets should fly under blue skies - just my opinion.

I would play career if I could start with the side panel and the barn (he says knowing the reopened thread will now devolve).  

I also used to develop in Unity (kind of retired from game development). I have to say KSP is a huge accomplishment for being a unity game, I just can't fathom all the math/physics behind this game. I've played one of those earliest version in .1 or something, if I recall it was super hard to get into space and there were also no planets/moon yet. It's amazing how far the game has come along and developed such a cult following.

On 2/15/2015 at 5:51 PM, regex said:

This is really what I was driving at. Even in the last Squadcast Maxmaps was going on about how female Kerbals would be just as "disposable" as the males. It's this sort of reinforcement of the callous disregard for the characters in the game, and the furtherance of disaster as laudable in social media (while I still "liked" KSP on Facebook) that is harmful to the game.

Just my opinion. The whole "LOLSOKERBAL" thing just makes me sad.

Yeah... Another thing is I feel it's making people take KSP less seriously. For many people their only experience with the game is just seeing the obnoctious more popular youtube gamers play it, and then to them it just seems like a silly game about weird antics and explosions, possibly even leading to them being misled into seeing it like how I see the obnoctious, annoying game of five nights at freddys that for whatever reason became a giant thing for that same annoying, loud group of popular youtubers.

Eugh.

I mean, explosions are fun and entertaining, but I don't know anybody who pursues them or sees them as the only point of the game (Except Danny2462). They're just fun realizations that everything has gone horribly wrong. 

I think things being viewed as "Kerbal" is fine. They're certainly a thrill-seeking species, and, while intelligent, not exactly rationally-minded. If you build a huge, completely unrealistic rocket that explodes beautifully, it's okay to enjoy the explosion. KSP, in my opinion, isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's more of a "what would happen if..." simulator. You throw together a rocket and see if it works. It's much less realistic or technical than real life, and for good reason.

That being said, I don't want KSP to be seen as nothing but a tool to make explosions. I've seen people make truly amazing things in this game, and it is very educational, and I want that to be what people think of when they hear KSP.

Sorry if this made no sense or didn't address anyone's point, I have a large headache and I'm tired, so I don't feel very coherent today :D 

It's been almost double the length of the original post

Now, with a whole lot more of it, I present:

The Rest of Kerbal History: Middle Modern-Middle Present

Post Mid-modern: Where it left off-0.23.5

0.22 Added career mode, science, Mun biomes, and  subassemblies.

maxresdefault.jpg

0.23 added the ability to tweak levels of things and the rapier

0.23.5 added most NASA-based parts, like the SLS and the Claw

yJdu2sN.jpg

0.24 gave way to contracts and RCS engines

Beta Modern: 0.25-0.90

0.25 Spaceplane Plus mod integration, New explosions

vIXsbVJ.jpg

0.90 Mk3 looks space-shuttley, planetary biomes, tutorials

OidZkcM.png

1.0 Valentina Born, Ore, and aero overhaul, with fairings and heat shields

maxresdefault.jpg

Early Present: 1.0.1-1.0.5 (Where it is, for the next 2 weeks)

1.0.1 Revisions

1.0.2 heating errors

1.0.3 added extendable radiators, fixed thermal

6RizaE8.png

1.0.5 Goliath, Juno, Small liquid fuel tanks, shuttle engines and mount

2qBKiC4.png

1444215516_6xfmph5.jpg

Mid-Present: 1.1-(Whatever's next) All this is going to be 90% theoretical until the game, and subsequently this post, is updated.

1.1 Unity 5 fixes things

1.1.1 (Wow, triple digit!) Hopefully radio dishes

1.2 kerbals advance to interstellar travel, move to Vega. ZooNamedGames decides to have a multi-player recreation of the movie Contact.

Edited by AlextheBodacious

On 2/14/2016 at 8:28 AM, AlextheBodacious said:

Mid-Present: 1.1-(Whatever's next) All this is going to be 90% theoretical until the game, and subsequently this post, is updated.

1.1 Unity 5 fixes things

1.1.1 (Wow, triple digit!) Hopefully radio dishes

1.2 kerbals advance to interstellar travel, move to Vega. ZooNamedGames decides to have a multi-player recreation of the movie Contact.

To be precise, it's

1.1 Unity 5, Kerbal wikipedia, pushing the kraken to near extinction & integration of a few mods (mainly sentinel pack) and parts revision.

1.2 Antennae and remote tech-thing, possible editor for part sizes[1] & new models for the rocket parts.

1.3 *classified information*

(possible 1.1 video showed at the conventions: http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/18/11040264/watch-kerbal-space-program-on-xbox-one)

Edited by Scientia1423
Now that I think of it, I might need to update this post but it's best left preserved.

4 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

To be precise, it's

1.1 Unity 5, Kerbal wikipedia, pushing the kraken to near extinction & integration of a few mods (mainly sentinel pack) and parts revision.

1.2 Antennae and remote tech-thing, possible editor for part sizes[1] & new models for the rocket parts.

1.3 *classified information*

(possible 1.1 video showed at the conventions: http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/18/11040264/watch-kerbal-space-program-on-xbox-one)

There goes my attempt at being funny (I did say it was 90% hypothetical, and you can't be SURE that's how it'll go.)

On 2/14/2015 at 0:52 AM, UpsilonAerospace said:

Am I the only one who wants this side-mounted, haphazard flight bar for early Career mode? It fits with the "throwing stuff together" mentality very nicely, and it could be upgradable (with upgrades of either Mission Control or the Tracking Center).

I'm certainly a fan of it. They could add it again, but only if you have the starting launchpad or something.

13 hours ago, AlextheBodacious said:

There goes my attempt at being funny (I did say it was 90% hypothetical, and you can't be SURE that's how it'll go.)

Ah well, the Vesta KSP versions will come to light in the very Sirius future. (Excuse my puns, trying to be a FUN-GI)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.