[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

can you add crew tubes with KAS support too? :D

I'm not 100% sure what you mean with this. Do you mean a part where you can store others parts in like in the SC-62 Container from KIS?

The ability to land "sideways" from the perspective of a rocket stack is always the tricky bit with part sets like these. A few suggestions:

One, is it possible to put nodes on the top and bottom (as landed) at the exact center?

Two, is there any way to have a control unit that would control the parts such that they can land as a lander (down being down)? Perhaps a control unit designed to sit "on top" (as landed) of the modules?

Three, the stock legs don't really match the attachment points provided, they float.

Four, assuming a node on the "bottom" were added, you could make a heat shield that is heavy enough that the craft can reenter down as down (biconic?). It can then be jettisoned before actual landing.

Five, the IVAs seem kinda dark.

Edited by tater

The ability to land "sideways" from the perspective of a rocket stack is always the tricky bit with part sets like these. A few suggestions:

One, is it possible to put nodes on the top and bottom (as landed) at the exact center?

Two, is there any way to have a control unit that would control the parts such that they can land as a lander (down being down)? Perhaps a control unit designed to sit "on top" (as landed) of the modules?

Three, the stock legs don't really match the attachment points provided, they float.

Four, assuming a node on the "bottom" were added, you could make a heat shield that is heavy enough that the craft can reenter down as down (biconic?). It can then be jettisoned before actual landing.

Five, the IVAs seem kinda dark.

You are right with the part about landing sideways. It really wasn't easy to land the showcased base on minmus.

To your points:

1. That might be a good idea. Though this won't be possible with the Science Lab since it has its "telescope" in the exact center of the top.
  2. This idea sounds good too. This would make landing these things much easier. Also it might look cool having such a thing on top. In some tests i attached the Rover-Body to one of the sides of the modules and it looked like a huge air control unit.
  3. You are right, i have to scale down the collision meshes a bit, this applies to all other parts as well. Forgot that they have to be a bit smaller than the model due to the way the physics-engine handles collisions. Doh!
  4. Hmm...This would result in many different sized heatshields for all modules...maybe i find a way to solve this without spamming parts. :wink:
  5. There are no lights in the IVAs yet. They will be added in one of the next releases.

Edited by Nils277

Now that I've had some time to play around with the parts I have two suggestions.

1. I think you should add a frame where the glass bends for the large greenhouse windows, how the glass is currently is, well, improbable. The other parts could use this treatment as well.

jzL2p5L.jpg?1

2. The airlocks seem too small for the notoriously big-headed Kerbals. This is a pet peeve more than anything, since it could possibly involve upping the scale of each part.

dWjA7yN.jpg?1

Hope my epic paint skills helped.

Now that I've had some time to play around with the parts I have two suggestions.

2. The airlocks seem too small for the notoriously big-headed Kerbals. This is a pet peeve more than anything, since it could possibly involve upping the scale of each part.

http://i.imgur.com/dWjA7yN.jpg?1

Hope my epic paint skills helped.

Regarding the doors, it's a tough call. Part of me wants to require using the airlock part, but we need the door to transfer.

Hmm...This would result in many different sized heatshields for all modules...maybe i find a way to solve this without spamming parts.

Yeah, that's a problem, clearly. I was thinking for Duna/Eve/Laythe habs. The bottom could have a tweakable (autocorrect ate this the first time) ablator value as some mods do.

I was initially wanting to fit a rover inside the service bay, then realized that I could just make a roving hab, and it looks pretty cool.

Also, in the part descriptions it might be nice to mention the crew size when deployed.

Edited by tater

These looks pretty great! will happily give them a test spin soon. If you need any help with TAC-LS or USI-LS configs, ill be happy to send some your way, once ive played around with the parts.

Thanks! I'll come back to that when i integrate the LS mods.

The bottom could have a tweakable (autocorrect ate this the first time) ablator value as some mods do.

Also, in the part descriptions it might be nice to mention the crew size when deployed.

Thought that was already in the descriptions of the expandable modules...will fix that.

Regarding the Heatshields, it may be a good idea to make the bottom of the modules ablative. Also thought about a heatshield with tweakable size. So this would go into a "one shield fits all" way.

Another idea was a giant heatshield unterneath the complete base...like in this picture i found

TN_MLM_detail.jpg

But who in Kermans name would be able to bring this into space? :D

yep, like the MKS Flex-O-Tubes

I'll take a look into that once the vanilla and LS mods are done.

Could you make an ISRU part that fits with the rest of the parts?

This will probably be in one of the next two or three updates. :wink:

Not sure about the doors yet, they really seem a bit small for the Kerbals. On the other side the hatches in the stock parts aren't much bigger.

The problem is that i wanted to make all the parts fit into the MK3 cargo bay so there is not much space to scale them up.

Phew..there is still a lot of work to do to support the whole mod ecosystem...

Edited by Nils277

Regarding the Heatshields, it may be a good idea to make the bottom of the modules ablative. Also thought about a heatshield with tweakable size. So this would go into a "one shield fits all" way.

Another idea was a giant heatshield unterneath the complete base...like in this picture i found

http://www.postcardsfromthefuture.net/images/gallery/mtrv/TN_MLM_detail.jpg

But who in Kermans name would be able to bring this into space? :D

Another possibility would be to make aeroshells with either the stock procedural fairings or e-dog's procedural fairings. I've been thinking about cloning fairing parts with ablative shielding for Deadly Reentry.

First I want to say. Thank you. I have always hated using station and ship parts for base making as they never felt like an appropriate facility. I have been designing my own, but Since I don't model or program it has remained just a dream, so it's great to see something like this come out, that isn't super complicated Like MKS/OKS. Also, I've never liked inflatable buildings, so these are just awesome on a whole other level.

I'm looking forward to not only using these, but to also see future development plans.

Looks great. As far as the doors, perhaps the sides could move outward and then expand upward? My family had a camper similar to this, where the door was only half sized until you raised that section of the camper.

It'd be more work, but, hey, that's what alphas and betas are for.

how am i supposed to land these on other celestial bodies?

I threw a radial attachment node on the roof in the center, then put a skinny probe core to it. Alternately, even a doing port on the roof would do ("control from here").

Edited by tater