The Dunatian, Playable Save File (Like a Scenario)

Ah, okay

Oh, and I just reread The Martian, and I saw that the Hermes was powered by nuclear ion engines.... Could you use nukes instead?

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing, in the book, the hab is described as being built in the same was as a tent, which leads me to believe it looks something like a tent, kind of like a cone instead of a cylinder.

And one more thing, in the book, the hab is described as being built in the same was as a tent, which leads me to believe it looks something like a tent, kind of like a cone instead of a cylinder.

I think he is referring to construction techniques rather than shape.

Seriously though I am getting a little excited, I caught a glimpse of the future today, I have been setting up for a promotional shot and all the bits of the base are getting put together and arranged. At one angle it looked like a movie scene, the Mars base with Rover parked out front. I don't know how interesting the actual trip is going to be but putting it together is damn fun.

New Promotional Poster - all the current pieces in one place - in other news I did a first draft of the radio tower. So I have all the major pieces now, except for Hermes. I have some revisions to do, stuff that could work better (who am I kidding, I am rebuilding nearly everything). It should look similar though, just work better.

LeoLBO1.png

New Promotional Poster - all the current pieces in one place - in other news I did a first draft of the radio tower. So I have all the major pieces now, except for Hermes. I have some revisions to do, stuff that could work better (who am I kidding, I am rebuilding nearly everything). It should look similar though, just work better.

http://i.imgur.com/LeoLBO1.png

Cool! Iv'e been watching this. Have you finished the surface craft?

Cool! Iv'e been watching this. Have you finished the surface craft?

I have the first draft done of all the surface craft, they all need a going over to increase the quality and the ease with which they interact, but otherwise it all works. I have some base positions and a route mapped out. I have not done any work yet on setting an orbit for Hermes that will flyby Duna on a Kerbin return. I have not done any work on the Hermes craft itself, maybe Yukon0009 will submit his (I get pictures but no craft files :wink:).

Edit Oh and I don't know how long it will take yet, driving a rover over long distances is as exciting as watching paint dry, so I need good scenery, short drive lengths, interesting spots and not to be too frustrated by starting over if you miss Hermes.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh oh, Hermes isin't even halfway done and it's already 200+ parts..

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot2899_zpszinn7vke.png

Looking good, seeing the cupola reminds me, I was watching 'The 100' and they had the exact same cupola.

So I built an Ares 1 with a dummy payload, the dimensions are scaled to 67%, 2.5m (30m) and 3.75m using 9 Kickbacks, it can make LKO (100km) but it suffers a bit of wet noodle and your inclination could end up virtually anywhere. Anybody got any experience with long thin rockets and strengthening them internally?

Download

NpfBBPR.png

Won't that tend to make the top a bit draggy and introduce some flipping tendancy, I already cheated with some little fins at the bottom.

You mean this Ares 1? realspacemodels_ares.jpg

Can we see a close up pic of yours? Iv'e made an Ares 1, working 100%, the torque of the SRBs keeps it solidly on track, no wobbles or flex.

So I built an Ares 1 with a dummy payload, the dimensions are scaled to 67%, 2.5m (30m) and 3.75m using 9 Kickbacks, it can make LKO (100km) but it suffers a bit of wet noodle and your inclination could end up virtually anywhere. Anybody got any experience with long thin rockets and strengthening them internally?

Download

http://i.imgur.com/NpfBBPR.png

You built it from the bottom up. You should always work top down, it's much easier and you will be able to control the rocket design better.

Ok I fixed it dude. A few well placed struts and its solid as a rock. I also added vernier engines at the top to help the turn, it still is hard against the tourque of the SRBs. I removed the tail fins. And some of the fuel from the second stage, there was too much. I got it into a 124x145km orbit.

I will upload it here and you can let me know what you think.

MJ

Download

2eq9keu.jpg

5ff480.jpg

Edited by Majorjim

You built it from the bottom up. You should always work top down, it's much easier and you will be able to control the rocket design better.

Ok I fixed it dude. A few well placed struts and its solid as a rock. I also added vernier engines at the top to help the turn, it still is hard against the tourque of the SRBs. I removed the tail fins. And some of the fuel from the second stage, there was too much. I got it into a 124x145km orbit.

I will upload it here and you can let me know what you think.

MJ

Download

http://i62.tinypic.com/2eq9keu.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/5ff480.jpg

You sir are a saint, Thank you for that.

Hey Majorjim,

I have been working on the Ares 1 (OK I rebuilt it) and it is much better aesthetically and functionaly (has Orion capsule), performance is meh, if you want to take a look. I am not happy with the performance but you can get it to LKO which is the objective.

Download

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: action Group 1 for Parachutes, if you abort on the pad it takes too long to space through the empty stages

I worked out one big problem with it, the clipped orange tanks, they do horrible things to the drag. With them I am sideways at 7000m and only get to around 500m/s. with only one orange tank and a full second stage fairing 29km and 1000m/s. It's not weight, they are empty, and only add about 24t total. It's feels like a whole new spaceship now and works beautifully, it just does not have the orange color tank second stage.

Aesthetics may have to take a back seat on this one.

That looks really awesome! Are there any plans for the delta IX launching Iris?

- - - Updated - - -

Just downloaded, and there are a few problems. When rolling to point east-west, the ares pushes over to the right, an I cannot get it pointed straight. Second, when staging for the second stage, it's set to release the fairing covering the fuel, and I don't think it is meant to. And third, upon circularizing, it nearly shakes itself apart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.