Mass Quantities of Stranded Kerbals

The Challenge:

There are 30 Kerbals stranded on Dres.  You are to bring them home safely.  

Options & General Limitations:

SSTO:

Spoiler

You can have up to three SSTO's.  They may stop at ONE other body on the way to refuel, and land only once on that body, so make sure you bring an ore scanner.  You must have mining equipment to stop at another planet.  You may not dock.  Period.  You MAY refuel on Dres.  SSTO rockets are allowed.

Multi-Stage:

You may only bring one rocket.  No docking.  You may not refuel.

Limitations:

Spoiler

NO DOCKING!  You may only land on one spot on Dres.  NO CHEATING!  Cheating is for people without honor.  (I guess I have no honor, as I hyper edited the Kerbals to Dres...)

You may NOT use the Mk3 Passenger Module! You may now do so.

NO MODS!!!!!

Requirements:

Spoiler

ALL Kerbals must com back alive.  Quicksaving is allowed and recommended.  This must be done with one of the save games provided.

Difficulty:

Easy:

Spoiler

There are 30 Kerbals in the same spot.  All rules above apply.

Save Game

Medium:

Spoiler

Kerbals are slightly scattered around.  There are 35 Kerbals.

Save Game

Hard:

Spoiler

Kerbals are all over the place.  Over 40.  You may land on multiple spots on Dres, but only in a 50 KM radius around the original landing spot.  All others must walk back to the ship.  To trace this, you must plant a flag at the original landing spot and use your distance from it.  Kerbals are unlimited to how much they can take off and land.  I should really call this super hard mode.

Save Game

A save game will be provided for each difficulty level to make sure the Kerbals are in the same spot for each person.

Submission:

Spoiler

Your submission should contain the following:

-Proof

-Difficulty Level

-Type of vehicle

-Anything else you see fit

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

Easy:

Spoiler

SSTO:

Spoiler

Multistage

Spoiler

Medium:

Spoiler

SSTO:

Spoiler

Multistage

Spoiler

HARD:

Spoiler

SSTO:

Spoiler

Multistage

Spoiler

Edited by Guest

Could I just have the coordinates for where the 30 Kerbals for Easy are? I don't want to use someone else's savegame. 

Also - +1 on what RIC said

...and +1 on the MK3 passenger module restriction being an unnecessary pain. 

Edited by Foxster

I'm also not sure you're going to get too many takers on the challenge, on account of the NO MODS requirement. I mean, if I'm going to Dres, I'm going to be using KER, Protractor maybe, Maybe separate categories for modded versus un-modded games. 

It's a good idea for a challenge, IMHO, but needs some refinement.

3 hours ago, capi3101 said:

I'm also not sure you're going to get too many takers on the challenge, on account of the NO MODS requirement. I mean, if I'm going to Dres, I'm going to be using KER, Protractor maybe, Maybe separate categories for modded versus un-modded games. 

It's a good idea for a challenge, IMHO, but needs some refinement.

I mean no parts mods or ones that change how the game works. I'll update the OP. 

9 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Constructively I will mention that spoilering small amounts of text does not save any space and makes the challenge harder to read. 

Will change. 

17 hours ago, Legendary Emu said:

I feel like the "no Mk3 passenger module" rule doesn't actually do anything but add to the part count.

I think I am going to change that aswel. 

5 hours ago, Foxster said:

Could I just have the coordinates for where the 30 Kerbals for Easy are? I don't want to use someone else's savegame. 

Also - +1 on what RIC said

...and +1 on the MK3 passenger module restriction being an unnecessary pain. 

I will do so. 

OK, so  I broke the rules just a tiny bit. I got the coordinates of the recovery site on Dres from the savegame, then I went back to my savegame, shipped 30 Kerbals there with HyperEdit, deleted their craft and then ran the rescue mission. I know that's not exactly by the rules but hopefully it's pretty much the same thing. 

I over-sized this a bit but I wanted to do it with Command Seats and that meant mk3 size. I also fancied trying the Thud engines on the return stage as they got a bit of a buff in 1.0.5.

Anyway, here is my Easy entry with the good ship HMS Sardines:

2 hours ago, Foxster said:

OK, so  I broke the rules just a tiny bit. I got the coordinates of the recovery site on Dres from the savegame, then I went back to my savegame, shipped 30 Kerbals there with HyperEdit, deleted their craft and then ran the rescue mission. I know that's not exactly by the rules but hopefully it's pretty much the same thing. 

I over-sized this a bit but I wanted to do it with Command Seats and that meant mk3 size. I also fancied trying the Thud engines on the return stage as they got a bit of a buff in 1.0.5.

Anyway, here is my Easy entry with the good ship HMS Sardines:

That's fine.  You're now in the leaderboard.  Correct me if anything is wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.