Pathfinder-esque 2-part probe lander [WIP]

Just now, The Optimist said:

As in the title, this is a very WIP design, using slightly modified thermometer bearings. Here's some pictures of it in action: 

(alternate rover)

If anyone knows how to make it less ugly, please tell me.

Hey man.

I am very happy to see you using the termo hinges. Did you see my tutorial I posted? When I was designing the hinges It became clear that for a hinge that only falls you do not need the full 8 thermometers. That is just for a full rotation hinge or one that will move back and forth repeatedly.

You can get away with only using two each side as a kind or cradle for the engine bell. That as a start will save you 48 parts. You could try a pyramid shape doing away with one of the panels, more realistic and less parts. You would have to make the rover smaller possibly but that would not be too tricky. Let me know if you have any issues with the hinges in any redesigns.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Hey man.

I am very happy to see you using the termo hinges. Did you see my tutorial I posted? When I was designing the hinges It became clear that for a hinge that only falls you do not need the full 8 thermometers. That is just for a full rotation hinge or one that will move back and forth repeatedly.

You can get away with only using two each side as a kind or cradle for the engine bell. That as a start will save you 48 parts. You could try a pyramid shape doing away with one of the panels, more realistic and less parts. You would have to make the rover smaller possibly but that would not be too tricky. Let me know if you have any issues with the hinges in any redesigns.

Thanks for the tip!

Just now, The Optimist said:

I thought debris was persistent... maybe not?

Ooh good point. You know what, ever since I started playing my debris has been set to 0 so I.. I.. don't know. If setting it higher will allow seperated panels to stay then I have some probe core to remove! :D

I have built so many of these it's not funny.

This is the one currently used in The Dunatian, nice, simple, low parts, functional

AbwIKgH.png

An older model where the petals opened onto mini docking ports, some legs pushed a couple open and the rover was attached to a panel

2SCi8IR.png

And then there were the more lookalike replicas that used all sorts of things from Seperatons to Landing legs to move the panels

SSOWlDb.png

Didn't have thermometer hinges back then, could probably do a much more decent version these days, but then part count is an issue, when you drive a 100 part rover within a kilometre of a hundred part probe and rover on Duna, bad things happen. Which is why we ended up with the one we did.

I also made my first kraken drive this way

Gifs

http://i.imgur.com/VOEhLim.gifv

another one

fj1LrYb.png

Edited by selfish_meme

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.