Mun Base

So I am trying to make a base on the surface of the Mun. I am not using infinite fuel, but I'm in sandbox mode so I have infinite funds. It needs mining drills, and solar panels (duh), also maybe some sciency stuff. Any suggestions?

Whatever you think! :)

Although, if you're actually asking how to get stuff to the Mun, then I'm not much help sorry. :(

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? It may be good to clear that up as Mun bases can be a very broad subject :)

Good luck though!

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

This is, like, the place to plug my Base Pack. Munar deployment should be relatively easy, you can use the CRADLE version and then you don't need to dock.

QVves4p.png

Rune. Available at R-SUV, like all my stuff.

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

This is, like, the place to plug my Base Pack. Munar deployment should be relatively easy, you can use the CRADLE version and then you don't need to dock.

Rune. Available at R-SUV, like all my stuff.

I'm sure he could learn something from any Mun base. It does sound like he wants to make his own and the only way you can do that is to, well, do it.

You can take inspiration from proposed Moon bases or from movies you like. Think about what you want to do when it is complete. Do you want it to be small and simple with just a few modules or do you want a few that are connected? Will they have wheels and probe cores so you can drive them into each other to connect via docking ports or do you want them to be 'dumb' and have a tug rover do all the moving of the modules?

If you are just starting out in KSP the best thing to do is keep it simple. When you have put more hours in and get better then you can start making craft more complex but if you try to climb a mountain first you will fail every time and just get frustrated and quit.

Try building it on Kerbin first. The best advice someone can give on this is to build, build, build. And then do some more building. You won't learn any other way.

My problem is that on Kerbin I can't seem to dock anything. Like it will dock, but the fuel crossfeed will not work, and it will be on a different level. Also, what I am kind of looking for is ideas on how to get a base to the Mun without infinite fuel (I'm also really nooby lol, I have only landed on the Mun once but I think I can do it again).

Just now, 8472 said:

My problem is that on Kerbin I can't seem to dock anything. Like it will dock, but the fuel crossfeed will not work, and it will be on a different level. Also, what I am kind of looking for is ideas on how to get a base to the Mun without infinite fuel (I'm also really nooby lol, I have only landed on the Mun once but I think I can do it again).

There are two main ways. All at once or piece by piece. Keep the weight of each module low and you should not have an issue. you could try mounting each module in an upside down bay or slung beneath a lander. All at once will cut down the part count but you will need a larger lander. Cupcake made a base in a box as did Rune. For long time players these are easy things to do but may be very tricky as you say you are new-ish to Mun landings. You could try on minmus first as landing is far easier. The docking port line up issues are also tricky although if they line up on kerbin they will line up anywhere. Just load the parts in and test them. I would advise against using someone else's craft. It wont teach you how to build. You have to just try yourself. Do not be afraid of failing. Test on Kerbin. Then test again then test some more.

Let me offer another solution: KIS/KAS.
Use the KIS containers to ship the parts required to wherever you want to build your base. Then have your Kerbal Engineers bolt the pieces together with KAS.
Or simply link separate landers together. Linking them with KAS pipes is a lot easier than trying to connect misaligned docking ports.

Edited by Tex_NL

2 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

or contracts.

He is playing sandbox.

5 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Linking them with KAS pipes is a lot easier than trying to connect misaligned docking ports.

This is assuming he does no testing on kerbin. If he builds it on Kerbin and tests, they will line up anywhere.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.