From Humble Beginnings [Chapter 25]

Butterbar

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: Saturn Station Pt. 2

✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦ ✦

"Oh damn", Bob muttered.  

And then the sounds of the interior of the Titan cut to static.  From the perspective of Ground Support, the Titan-1 appeared to have both ended radio contact and ended it's rendezvous maneuvers to the Saturn.  Had it not been for the radar stations lent to them by the Air Force around ten years ago, the Titan might as well disappeared, like Gus Kerman's want of a "peaceful morning with no problems whatsoever".  

fd4Ak9e.png

Meanwhile in orbit, the crew of the Titan-1 began to work down the debugging checklist.  Inside the circular main cabin of the Titan-1, behind the capsule, Nemie Kerman listened anxiously to the conversation between Bob and Felix.  

"It looks like we've got a power shortage.  Total lack of capsule control.", Bob was saying.  His voice was unwaveringly calm and professional.

"Understood.", replied Felix.  "I'm at the center of the capsule so I can't see anything, but it feels like some gremlin just went to town on our spacecraft.  No control over anything.  Only the non-electrical systems are up, like navball.  You got any ideas?"

"The Titan-1 isn't equipped with panels or anything that could regenerate power for us.  The spacecraft wasn't built for beyond-Kerbin expeditions, so they didn't think it was needed."

As much as he hated it, Felix knew what Bob said was true.  The Titan-1 was advertised as a cheap, effective way to get crew into orbit.  It wasn't intended to stay in an independent orbit for long - unlike the Munlab crew ferry, who had to perform the Kerbin-Mun transit - and was intended to recharge it's batteries and refuel at the space station.  Now with it's batteries depleted entirely, the spacecraft was in deep trouble.

"What's the closest approach to the Saturn?", a voice asked from somewhere within the Titan.

"250 meters was the last count, then the monopropellant thrusters apparently ran out, so we won't be able to run our approach through there", Felix replied.

"We'll have to do an EVA or abort the mission.  Felix, can you think of any alternative ways to recharge the spacecraft?", Bob asked.  The idea of an EVA: to float freely in space was both terrifying and exciting to Bob.  His older spacewalks were all tethered or on a ladder.  But the tether on the Titan would not extend to 250 meters, which mean't he would have to become a spaceship of himself.  

"None I can think of.  I could try to fire the engines, but I doubt it'll work.  Damn Mk.2 hooked up the throttle controls to the electric system, and that's down completely"

"How long can we last right now?  Long enough for a rescue mission?"

"Definitely not.  We've got enough oxygen for the next day: our CO2 converters are luckily chemically powered, and we have enough supplies onboard to last three weeks including the emergency rations supposed to last for our stay on the Saturn".

28sT4Wk.png

Bob looked out the window at the glowing lights of the cities below.  He could make out the outline of the large metropolises of the United Provinces, their metropolitan area stretching out like a blanket of lights until it faded into the blackness of the countryside. The sight looked serene: down below, the Kerbals were watching their early morning, finishing the night shift, and sleeping until the time came and thousands of alarms would go off across the nation, awaking the day shift workers.  It was hard to imagine the chaos in the Ground Support Room - the phone calls relayed to and forth from the President and Wernher, speechwriters working around the clock in case of the worst, and the Flight Director, Gus Kerman, realizing how much he hated Tuesdays.

"We'll have to go for an EVA option.", he suggested.

"Are you crazy, Bob?", Nemie shot back.  "We haven't rehearsed for this.  We haven't done anything like this.  This is twice as far as the furthest EVA the space agency's done, and they trained for it from the onset."

"I'm certain we'll make it.  ARA issued us the experimental propulsion packs, each containing approximately 5 liters of monopropellant.  We've got them stored in the main cabin.  We might not have trained to EVA, but I'm certain we all went through the docking simulator at KSC.  And that's all we need.  An idea of how to dock."

The sun began to peek over the curvature of Kerbin, it's rays illuminating the capsule once more.  The blue glow of Kerbin began to fill the spacecraft.  Saturn was just ahead.  It's now or never, Bob thought.

azp4WqD.png

CAPITAL SUN TIMES (SINCE 1845)

~ 1961, Month 7, Day 20 ~

TITAN-1 POWER FAILURE IMPERILS KERBONAUTS: EMERGENCY EVA ALLOWS COMPLETION OF MISSION: FIVE KERBALS NOW ON SATURN

WRITTEN BY WALTER KERMAN

5Fmk8Tu.png

ABOVE: SPACE STATION SATURN RECIEVED IT'S NEW CREW OF FIVE SAFE AND SOUND

KERMAN SPACE CENTER - THE CREW OF THE TITAN-1, AFTER A ELECTRICAL SHORT-CIRCUIT AS WELL AS A MONOPROPELLANT LEAK, WERE FORCED TO ABANDON THEIR SPACECRAFT THIS MORNING TO UNDERTAKE A GRUELING QUARTER-KILOMETER SPACEWALK TO SPACE STATION SATURN.  ALTHOUGH THEY ARE NOW SAFE, THE CARGO ONBOARD THE TITAN-1 - NOW WITHOUT POWER OR ANY MEANS OF CONTROL - HAS BEEN PRESUMED LOST, ALTHOUGH SOME SMALLER TOOLS WERE TAKEN TO SATURN BY THE KERBONAUTS.  

ACTING PROFESSIONALLY, ALL FIVE CREWMEMBERS MADE THE LEAP FROM THE TITAN AND ARRIVED ON THE SATURN WITHOUT DELAY.  

AT A NEWS CONFERENCE, FLIGHT DIRECTOR GUS KERMAN WAS ASKED IF THE SPACE PROGRAM WOULD SEND A RESCUE MISSION TO THE SATURN.  HE ANSWERED, "YES, BRINGING A "LIFEBOAT" UP TO THE STATION FOR USE IN EMERGENCY AS WELL AS SENDING TO THE CREW THE CARGO AND EXPERIMENTS LOST ON THE TITAN-1 IS A TOP PRIORITY FOR THE AGENCY."

WHEN ASKED ABOUT HIS PERSPECTIVE ON THE DAYS EVENTS ON A LIVE INTERVIEW BY BRYAN KERMAN OF THE NBC CHANNEL, STATION COMMANDER BOB REPLIED, "I RECOGNIZE SAFETY IS A TOP PRIORITY OF THE SPACE PROGRAM: THE NEXT TITAN SPACECRAFT SHOULD TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE TITAN-1 AND DESIGN ACCORDINGLY, NO MATTER HOW LONG THE DELAY.  THE SATURN IS A RELIABLE STATION.  AS LONG AS THE RETURN CRAFT ARRIVES WHEN WE'RE READY TO GO, THERE SHOULDN'T BE MUCH OF A PROBLEM.  I CANNOT STRESS HOW SAFE THE SATURN IS.  THE TITAN-2 ISN'T A HUGE NEED RIGHT NOW.  WE'RE GOOD, TO BE HONEST."

Edited by Butterbar

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: Minmus Dawn

FROM: Deputy Director Kirrim Kerman, Office of Reconnaissance 

TO: Major General Bull Kerman, United Provincial Space Command

REF NO: DISPATCH 1092, Month 8, Day 21, 1961

While I thank you for your last dispatch congratulating me on my promotion to Deputy Director, I believe that it is time for us to get down to business.  This morning at 0800, the U.S.R announced the commissioning of their station Red Dawn.  A sober confirmation was made that indeed, a new large object around of Kerbin at a inclined 45-degree 158KM X 135KM orbit, and telescopic observations confirmed that it was a station.  As of today, the U.S.R has docked two unusually large and advanced spacecraft to it: we suspect them to be the "Munar tugs" that they wish to use to establish an outpost on the Mun.  

R46yD34.png

Above: The Red Dawn, a U.S.R station in orbit of Kerbin.

This new development in spaceflight is a reminder that we are not alone in this field, and I urge ultimate vigilance in both the A.R.A and the U.P.S.C in guarding against sabotage and other threats.  The electrical systems failure of the Titan, while ruled to be an accidental short-circuit, shows how damaging even the smallest errors can be. However, upon hearing again of your unsastifactory results from the X-20 orbital test flight a week prior, I believe that the best steps for the Space Command to pursue right now would be:

1. An orbital geosynchronous space station that could service the KerSAT satellite constellations as well as your proposed Archangel "Orbital Ground Support Satellite" (OGSS)

2. Continued development of the X-Spaceplane Program to accomplish the goal of a "reusable crew shuttle".  Dr. Mortimer Kerman has promised me that the A.R.A will be willing to contribute up to 40% of the R&D costs for the program as well as manage it's test flights in return for custody of half of the airframes constructed by C7 Aerospace.

8qbOuVb.jpg

Above: The X-20 "Dolphin" in orbit.

I will not, however, recommend cancellation of the X-20 outright over it's lack of ability to glide.  It has much potential for satellite launch and reconnaissance activities, and, during our test flight, proved itself more than capable of taking a crew of three to the Saturn.  I request, however, that you turn over the X-20 to the Intelligence Community for it's abilities to be further developed.

Sincerely,

771D6D4C7D5BCFA3BD6735DEE3AB0873.png

Deputy Director,

Office of Reconnaissance 

~ 1962, Month 3, Day 1 ~

"IT LOOKS LIKE MINT ICE CREAM": UNITED PROVINCES SENDS CREW TO MINMUS; MIRANDA-1 IN ORBIT OF DISTANT MOON

WRITTEN BY WALTER KERMAN

eiU25hF.png

ABOVE: LEMMAN KERMAN PERFORMS A SPACEWALK 10 KILOMETERS FROM THE SURFACE OF MINMUS

KERMAN SPACE CENTER - THE MIRANDA FIRED IT'S ENGINES TODAY AS IT ENTERED ORBIT OF THE MOON OF MINMUS, OPENING A NEW ERA IN SPACEFLIGHT.  NOW THE FURTHEST THAT ANY KERBAL HAS GONE FROM KERBIN, THE CREW OF THE MIRANDA, LIEUTENANT COMMANDER BILL KERMAN, UPN, AND CAPTAIN LEMMAN KERMAN, UPAF, HAVE MADE HISTORY BY BECOMING THE FIRST CREW TO EVER SEE MINMUS UP CLOSE AFTER A 14-DAY LONG JOURNEY IN THE MIRANDA, WHICH WAS BUILT FROM THE MUNSHOT-GENESIS PROGRAM.  

"IT LOOKS LIKE MINT ICE CREAM", LEMMAN KERMAN REPORTED AS HE MADE THE FIRST SPACEWALK AROUND MINMUS.  "THE PLANET IS MOUNTAINOUS AND HAS MANY FLAT AREAS THAT COULD BE USED FOR MINING BASES", HE ALSO NOTED.

MINING MINMUS: THE BIRTH OF SPACE INDUSTRY?

THE NEWS THAT MINMUS CONTAINS MANY FLAT REGIONS HAS SPURNED PROPOSALS BY MANY TO COLONIZE AND SETTLE ON THE DISTANT MOON.  ONE OF OUR REPORTERS ASKED THE DIRECTOR OF THE AGENCY ABOUT HIS VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT.  "OUR SPACEFLIGHT TECHNOLOGY IS NEARING THE POINT WHERE MINING WILL BECOME FEASIBLE", REPLIED WERNHER VON KERMAN, "HOWEVER, THERE IS STILL A LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE WE CAN SEE IT AS A PRACTICAL WAYPOINT ON THE 'RACE TO DUNA'".

OTHER PROPOSALS HAVE BEEN MADE TO INDUSTRIALIZE SPACE IN THE RECENT YEARS.  A 1960 PROPOSAL BY ZALTONIC ELECTRONICS, THE LEADING ENERGY PROVIDER IN THE PROVINCES, DESIGNED A SATELLITE CAPABLE OF PROVIDING ELECTRICAL POWER TO 30,000 HOUSEHOLDS - THIS PROPOSAL WAS FOLLOWED UP BY A MORE AMBITIOUS ONE TO LAUNCH A SATELLITE 0.5KM IN LENGTH THAT WOULD PROVIDE ENOUGH ELECTRICAL POWER TO SUSTAIN AN ENTIRE CITY.  

IT IS ASSUMED THAT FOUR OF THESE SATELLITES, ALREADY NICKNAMED THE "POWER TOWERS", WOULD BE ENOUGH TO PROVIDE ENERGY TO THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

On 5.4.2016 at 2:30 AM, Butterbar said:

EDIT: I'm not sure about the viability of faux Cyrillic, so I'm going to see if there's any issues with the first half of this post.  

Sorry to say so, but it's really illegible to me. Some characters don't show at all, many aren't Cyrillic, so it's really ends up a big jumble of random characters. I would highly recommend a (spoiler-tagged) transcription. It hurts this otherwise nice story and writing.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: End Of An Era

As Kerbalkind began to reach into the stars, political squabbles on Kerbin continued as usual.  No place was this more prevalent than the leading nation in spaceflight: the United Provinces.  Now at the end of his allowed terms in office, President Frank Kerman began his quest to forge a legacy.  And having presided over one of the most important eight years in Kerbal history, he had done it quite well.  

"...the surge in votes for the Liberal Party candidate Samden Kerman came as a surprise today, reflecting the unpredictability of the voting tendencies of the agricultural provinces when voting in the primaries.  Meanwhile, on the Conservative side, Calfrey Kerman has maintained a strong lead in the primary elections, promising to "cut unnecessary government spending" and to "lower taxes" by as much as five percent by 1964.  We now turn our attention to our correspondent at the Conservative Party National Headquar..."

President Frank Kerman, leader of the free world, flicked off the television set. Running his hand through his greying hair, he turned his attention to the guests seated in front of him. 

"Gentlemen.  We have some things to discuss."

Wernher looked up.  He always saw the President as how he had first appeared as a Senator; a young, bold, and charismatic war hero.  Eight years of political battles had not been kind to Frank.  Now having aged tremendously in office, the soon-to-be former President looked far beyond his years.  

"I don't know how they did it in the Reich, Herr Wernher.  But our governmental system is a little unstable in terms of large undertakings.  Especially ones that won't provide benefits for years."

Motioning to the Presidential valet to pour his guests a glass of brandy, Frank continued his speech.

"Which brings me to my current point.  I'm a Liberal.  Calfrey, if he wins, is going to gut my programs and projects like never before.  He's a true Conservative.  True to the party and true to limiting spending.  The space program is likely to be the first to go."

Wernher raised his hand.

"If that is the case, Mr. President, then why call us here for a meeting today?  Why not just a simple, "You're not going to Duna in 1970".  

Frank Kerman lifted his cup and took a sip, letting the bittersweet liquor ride down his throat.  Goddamn Constitution, with all the term limits and such.  His tone softened.  

"Do you know what a carte blanche is, Doctor?  A blank check, if you will."

"Yes, Mr. President.  You aren't simply going to give us free rein over funding, are you?  That's a risky political move."

"Apparently yes, I am. Anyways, I'm here to write you a blank check.  At the looks of it, Calfrey's going to snag the Presidency, and I detest the Conservatives as much as we detest each other personally.  Give him a good amount of trouble, although I wish someone would put a bullet in his head.  I've got less than a year left in this place, and I'll see to it that he receives as much annoyance as possible.  The Liberals have a majority in Congress right now, so I'll speak to them and get it passed.  How much funds do you want?"

Mortimer opened his briefcase and began to pull out documents.  Frank watched curiously as he leaned over to Wernher, and began to whisper.  Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, Wernher spoke.  

"Enough to follow through with Ares, the Munar outpost, and the Miranda-program.  Maybe toss in a extra.  Sean's Cannery proposed a new station.  Called it Apollo.  Munlab is nearing operational end date, so we could definitely use a more, uh, permanent station around the Mun.  What will we have to do in return?"

Frank grinned as he scrawled some notes onto a used envelope.  The brandy's stronger than I thought.

"I'll want to throw another wrench against the Conservatives in the upcoming mass election.  Give the people a good aftertaste of my administration.  Do something that's a first, and with the manned program.  The public wants that.  They dig it up.  I want this to be before the poll opens and the votes are cast.  That's all I ask for."

Wernher and Mortimer quickly nodded, and rose to their feet.  The flickering light of the fireplace was growing ever dimmer now, casting the shadows of the three Kerbals in more and more grotesque ways.  It was late into the night now, and the pangs of sleepiness were beginning to tug at the ends of their mind.  Sensing the meeting was over, Wernher downed the last of his brandy.

"Farewell to you, Mr. President."

Shaking Wernher's hand, the President wished the two officials well before returning to his desk.  Putting on his coat, Wernher looked back for the last time.  Then he left the room, leaving Frank to himself.  With his flight back to KSC taking off in three hours, he would be lucky to get any sleep soon.

~ 1962, Month 9, Day 25 ~

ANOTHER FIRST FOR THE UNITED PROVINCES AS MIRANDA-2 TOUCHES DOWN ON MINMUS: 

WRITTEN BY WALTER KERMAN

NOEdz9r.png

ABOVE: THE MASSIVE ROCKET THAT TOOK THE MIRANDA-2 TO MINMUS: THE END OF AN ERA?

KERMAN SPACE CENTER - LEAPING FROM HER SPACECRAFT, VALENTINA SIMULTANEOUSLY CLOSED ONE ERA OF HISTORY AND BEGUN ANOTHER: NOW THAT BOTH MOONS OF KERBIN HAVE BEEN STEPPED ON BY KERBONAUTS, QUESTION REMAINS AS TO WHETHER OR NOT COLONIZATION EFFORTS SHOULD OCCUR.  THE MIRANDA-2 MADE IT'S FINAL APPROACH TO MINMUS LAST WEEK: WHEN VALENTINA, A VETERAN OF THE SPACE PROGRAM, AND DR. HENWIN KERMAN SPLASHDOWN IN THE TALU SEA, THEY WILL HAVE SPENT NEARLY A FULL MONTH IN SPACE AS WELL AS TRAVELING FASTER AND FURTHER THAN ANY OTHER KERBAL IN HISTORY (A RECORD THAT WILL LIKELY REMAIN UNBROKEN UNTIL THE FIRST KERBAL LANDS ON DUNA).  

NOW ON MINMUS, THE CREW WILL PERFORM A THREE-DAY STAY, COLLECTING ROCKS AND SAMPLING THE LANDSCAPE AND TAKING MEASUREMENTS BEFORE LIFTING OFF.  

THE UNITED PROVINCES HAS MADE QUICK PROGRESS IN THE FIELD OF SPACEFLIGHT SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE FIRST TRUE SPACE PROGRAM IN 1951.  NOW TEN YEARS LATER, KERBALKIND STANDS AS THE CHAMPIONS OF THE MUN AND MINMUS: KERBAL NOW RESIDES IN ORBIT OF TWO WORLDS, AND ONE DOZEN KERBALS NOW LIVE IN SPACE.  SPACEFLIGHT, ONCE THOUGHT AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK, HAS PROVEN ITSELF TO BE A FIELD OF FAST GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT, AND DESPITE A UNCERTAIN POLITICAL FUTURE FOR PRESIDENT FRANK KERMAN'S "DUNA BY 1970" GOAL, IT IS UNDISPUTED THAT MANNED INTERPLANETARY SPACEFLIGHT IS BOTH POSSIBLE AND THAT KERBALKIND HAS ENTERED THE "SPACEFARING AGE".  

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: New Beginnings

UNITED PROVINCES LAUNCH REPORT: NO CLEARANCE

AGENCY: ASTRONAUTICS RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION (A.R.A)

BACKGROUND: THE DUNA PROBE PROGRAM, AS OUTLINED IN THE REPORT FOR FY1962 ACCOMPLISHED IT'S YEARLY MILESTONES BY:

1. SUCCESSFULLY TESTING THE SYSTEMS ONBOARD THE LANDER AND ORBITER SPACECRAFT IN THE CLEAN ROOM AT KSC

2. INSERTING THE LANDER AND ORBITER SPACECRAFT ONTO A DUNA INTERCEPT TRAJECTORY, TO BE RECEIVED BY THE PLANET IN NO MORE THAN 400 DAY(S)

MISSION OBJECTIVES: To gather the first Kerbal data from Duna as well as performing a separate flyby of Ike (If possible) and determining the feasibility of a manned expedition in the near future.  

SUMMARY: Two separate Nova-class rockets were launched from KSC at 0500 and 1400 on Day 28, Month 11, 1962, with the purpose of lofting an orbiter and a lander to Duna as part of the proposed "Duna by 1970" goal outlined by President Frank Kerman.  The main orbiter, Adrophite-1, is powered through tracking Photovoltaic panels used successfully in the KerSAT network, while the lander uses static panels.  The probe is set to arrive at Duna first at around late 1963, while the lander will arrive in early 1964.  With the arrival of these probes, the Duna Probe Program will have been considered complete. 

sPGdDgI.png

ABOVE: Orbiter Adrophite-1 as it leaves the Kerbin system.

yxVd3ff.jpg

ABOVE: Lander Mars-1 attached to Type II probe bus.   

The launch of the probe and lander have removed much of the force against a manned expedition to Duna, and will pave the way for more ambitious missions to Eve or even Laythe.  At the time of this report, both probes have reported reaching interplanetary space and are heading towards their target at 9KM/S.  They will both arrive within a week of each other: the orbiter will fire it's main engines and settle into a elliptical 60KM X 250KM orbit, while the lander will slow aerobrake and use it's parachutes to touch down on Duna.

FUNDING: The program cost has totaled out to be around 250,000 funds for both payload and launcher, spread out over five years (1957-1962).

SCIENTIFIC PAYLOAD: One material science bay on both craft, two mystery goo research modules on both craft: Mars-1 lander is equipped with seismic sensor to monitor Duna for any internal activity.  Gravoli Detector was planned but cancelled as it is unlikely to be available until 1965 at the earliest.

This report has been approved by the Astronautics Research Agency and has been filed under the "Public Spaceflight Record" by the Capital Library. 

UNITED PROVINCIAL SPACE COMMAND 

TO: President Calfrey Kerman, Green House

REF NO: DISPATCH 2399, Month 2, Day 1, 1963

Our last meeting at the Hilton resort on your spaceflight policy during the election day was a real pleasure for me, since we could finally sit down and speak face-to-face about our vision for space exploration.  Although I never imagined it in these terms, your suggestion for military facilities in Kerbin orbit was quite well received by my staff and Kirrim: Wernher von Kerman has so far been very reluctant to consider the idea.  

This brings me to my point.  The Geostationary Station Uranus is now in orbit of Kerbin.  We've built the station as a joint A.R.A-U.P.S.C venture, and it is manned by a mix of civilian and military personnel.  The station serves as a ICBM and satellite command center as well as a research laboratory for the Air Force: one that seeks out military applications for it's data.  The crew resides in it's three "wings", who rotate to provide artificial gravity to the station.

qh78i4N.png

Just last week, a Titan-class crew ferry docked with the station, and the station is now operational, sustaining a crew of two Kerbals for the next year.  Both Kerbals are experienced in spaceflight and are Air Force personnel, so we do not expect much in the way of problems.  This brings us to around 10 Kerbals living and working in space - a great feat, indeed!

gF1dPTC.png

The station is a important centerpiece of my strategy to take and retain the "high ground" in a military sense, and has plenty of room to expand and can boast a garrison force of 30 Kerbals.  With the Union having their own space station in low orbit, I believe it is up to us to establish to the world that the geostationary zone, a prime spot for satellites, is firmly our territory.  I now propose the following:

1. Expansion of the station to add a dedicated research and electric module, perhaps leading into building it into a factory for assembling and repairing satellites.

2. Construction of the Archangel Orbital Bombardment network to provide support to our ground troops in times of conflict.

3. Funding for at least six more Titan-class missions to resupply and rotate the crew onboard the Uranus, as well as design funding for the orbital X-32 aircraft, which I hope to bring into operation some time around 1972-1973.  

As President of the United Provinces, you have the opportunity to continue the work of halting the spread of Kommunist ideals.  However, I urge for the keeping of the existence of this station's military application a secret.  I once publicly applauded the idea of a nuclear installation in orbit.  Now with rumors of a Union missile base just outside our borders, I fear that revelation of this secret will lead to a response.  A response that we are not yet prepared to handle.  

Sincerely,

618682219014823150416.png

Director Of Space Operations,

Department of War

15 hours ago, dagoharinck said:

luckily in real life militarizing space never got farther then spy sats

The Soviets certainly tried, and it's one of those sad inevitabilities that comes along with moving into space.  On the bright side, when aliens poke their head into the Sol system and start messing around with our stuff, we can fire off a few shots before we either get destroyed or end up on the short stick in attrition warfare.  

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: Routine Operations

~ 1963, Month 2, Day 11 ~

"URANUS IS A PEACEFUL RESEARCH STATION", SAYS GENERAL BULL KERMAN AMID WIDESPREAD BACKLASH

WRITTEN BY DOLING KERMAN

lIETWbj.png
ABOVE: PEACEFUL INTENTIONS?  THE NEWLY COMMISSIONED GEOSTATIONARY FACILITY URANUS IN ORBIT OF KERBIN.

THE CAPITOL - THE GEOSTATIONARY STATION URANUS IS DESCRIBED AS A "STATE-OF-THE-ART ORBITAL PLATFORM" AND IS OPERATED BY BOTH THE AIR FORCE AND THE A.R.A.  CONTAINING A SEPERATEL-LAUNCHED LABORATORY, SOLAR MODULE, AND ENOUGH LIVING SPACE FOR A CREW OF 30, THE MAIN TASK OF THE STATION IS TO "MAINTAIN THE GLOBAL KERSAT COMMUNICATION NETWORKS" AS WELL AS "FACILITATING THE CORE MISSION OF EXPLORATION AS DESCRIBED IN THE DUNA PROGRAM".  THE THIRD OPERATIONAL SPACE STATION AROUND KERBIN, THE GOVERNMENT CLAIMS THAT IT FUNCTIONS IN "SOLELY A CIVILIAN CAPACITY"; BUT MANY HAVE DOUBTS.  

GENERAL BULL KERMAN OF THE UNITED PROVINCIAL SPACE COMMAND FOUND HIMSELF IN HOT WATER DURING A CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TODAY AS HE DEFENDED THE NEWLY BUILT "GEOSYNCHRONOUS ORBITAL FACILITY" URANUS, WHICH BEGAN OPERATIONS ONE MONTH AGO.  REFUSING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS WHEN PROMPTED TO BY SENATE SPEAKER SAMDEN KERMAN (L), BULL REMAINED AMBIGUOUS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ORDEAL, STRESSING HIS ADMIRATION FOR "PROVINCIAL VALUES" AND "PATRIOTISM".  

"THERE'S KERBALS OUT THERE WHO WANT TO TAKE OUR VALUES AND SPIT ON THEM", HE SAID.  "THAT'S BAD.  WE NEED OT MAINTAIN CONSTANT VIGILANCE".  BUT AS THE QUESTIONING BECAME MORE INTENSE, BULL'S RESPONSES BECAME MORE HEATED.  

"YOU [EXPLETIVE] LIVE UNDER A BLANKET OF FREEDOM FOR WHICH I BLED FOR", HE SHOUTED AT SENATOR BILLY-BIE KERMAN (L).  "[EXPLETIVE] CIVILIANS DON'T UNDERSTAND.  YOU'RE A BUNCH OF FOOLS WHO BOW TO THE CORPORATIONS.  I SERVED MY COUNTRY WHILE YOU JUST [EXPLETIVE] SIT HERE ON YOUR [EXPLETIVE] DOING NOTHING"

NOT TO THE SURPRISE OF MANY, THE GENERAL WAS USHERED OUT AFTER FIFTEEN MINUTES BY A FORCE OF SIX PRESIDENTIAL BODYGUARDS.  HE IS EXPECTED TO FACE REPRIMAND BUT IT IS UNLIKELY FOR HIM TO BE REMOVED FROM COMMAND OF THE U.P.S.C.  

~ 1963 Month 4, Day 29 ~

MIRANDA-3 LANDS ON MINMUS: SECOND EXPEDITION TO THE DISTANT MOON OF KERBIN

WRITTEN BY WALTER KERMAN

mDVKR2F.png
ABOVE: THE MIRANDA-3 TOUCHED DOWN ON THE SURFACE OF MINMUS YESTERDAY

THE COOL MORNING WIND BRUSHES PAST THE TREES AT KSC, WHICH IN THE LAST 10 YEARS HAS SEEN IT'S EXPANSION FROM A SMALL TOURIST TRAP TO A BUSTLING SPACEPORT - AND "SPACE CITY", ONE OF THE LARGEST CITIES IN THE UNITED PROVINCES.  TODAY, THE MOOD OF THE CITY AND IT'S ATTENDANT SPACE INDUSTRY IS JUBILANT: KERBALKIND HAS LANDED ON MINMUS FOR THE SECOND TIME.

KERMAN SPACE CENTER - THE MIRANDA-3 CONFIRMED TOUCHDOWN ON THE MINMUSIAN SURFACE, MARKING THE SECOND TIME KERBAL HAS LANDED ON THE DISTANT MOON OF KERBIN.  LEAPING FROM THE AIRLOCK TO THE SURFACE OF MINMUS, FELIX KERMAN STUCK THE FLAG OF THE UNITED PROVINCES INTO THE FROZEN SOIL, DECLARING, "THIS IS NOT THE END.  THIS IS A BEGINNING".  THE CREW IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN ON THE SURFACE FOR TWO KERBIN DAYS BEFORE BEGINNING THE RETURN TRIP TO KERBIN.  FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR STAY THEY WILL CONDUCT SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS AS WELL AS COLLECTING SAMPLES FROM THE SURROUNDING ENVIRONMENT.  

THE ASTRONAUTICS RESEARCH AGENCY CHAIRMAN WERNHER VON KERMAN CONGRATULATED THE TWO KERBONAUTS AT A BANQUET TODAY, TESTIFYING TO THE "RESILIENCE OF THE KERBAL SPIRIT" AND THE "INGENUITY OF OUR ENGINEERS AND CONTRACTORS WHO HAVE HELPED US TO REACH FOR THE STARS".  THE NEWLY-ELECTED PRESIDENT CALFREY ALSO SENT HIS CONGRATULATIONS, REFERRING TO THE MISSION AS "AN CONTINUANCE OF OUR LEGACY AS EXPLORERS" AND "THE LAST DEFENSE AGAINST THE HORRORS OF IGNORANCE'.  

THE LANDING OF THE MIRANDA-3 COMES AT A IMPORTANT TIME AS THE KOMMUNIST UNION BEGINS TO ASSEMBLE IT'S OWN EXPEDITION TO MINMUS.  REPORTS OF INTENSE ACTIVITY AT THE U.S.R SPACE CENTER AS WELL AS INTERCEPTED INTELLIGENCE REPORTS HAVE LED MANY TO SUSPECT THAT THIS EXPEDITION WILL LAUNCH IN THE NEXT TWO MONTHS.

STORY CONTINUED ON PAGE 2B.

"YOU [EXPLETIVE] LIVE UNDER A BLANKET OF FREEDOM FOR WHICH I BLED FOR", HE SHOUTED AT SENATOR BILLY-BIE KERMAN (L).  "[EXPLETIVE] CIVILIANS DON'T UNDERSTAND.  YOU'RE A BUNCH OF FOOLS WHO BOW TO THE CORPORATIONS.  I SERVED MY COUNTRY WHILE YOU JUST [EXPLETIVE] SIT HERE ON YOUR [EXPLETIVE] DOING NOTHING"

nice reference to A Few Good Men.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.