CurseForge needs to support 1.1 for mods

Padishar

CurseForge needs to be updated to allow modders to choose KSP 1.1 as the version their mods are intended for.  I PM'ed JadedCat about it but haven't had a reply so thought I'd better post it here too in case she is away at the moment.

I would hope they do not officially do this, the prerelease is not supposed to be modded at the moment (it's for Squad's testing) and adding an option for an experimental and highly buggy release for mods just makes it seem complete (which it's definitely not!)

34 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

I would hope they do not officially do this, the prerelease is not supposed to be modded at the moment (it's for Squad's testing) and adding an option for an experimental and highly buggy release for mods just makes it seem complete (which it's definitely not!)

Errr, no, Squad have also stated that the pre-release is intended to allow modders to get their mods updated before the official release so it makes total sense to make the official mod hosting site support it as an option.  The current pre-release build is not "highly buggy" and any mod updated to "work" with it is almost certain to also work (at least as well) with the official release when it appears.

Also, the mod upload page on CurseForge allows uploads to be flagged as alpha, beta or release so this could easily be used to indicate further updates are likely once the release happens.

Edited by Padishar

Yes, and the prerelease and mods being released for it has resulted in bug reports on the tracker containing mods.

33 minutes ago, Padishar said:

The current pre-release build is not "highly buggy" and any mod updated to "work" with it is almost certain to also work (at least as well) with the official release when it appears.

There are well in excess of two hundred bugs on the tracker. Definitely bug-ridden. Secondly, active development continues to occur, which is entirely capable of breaking every single mod released so far.

34 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Yes, and the prerelease and mods being released for it has resulted in bug reports on the tracker containing mods.

That's a non-argument. There have always been bugs reported on the tracker containing mods.  The reason there appear to be more for the pre-release is almost certainly due to the larger number of users that are reporting bugs because the tracker has been explicitly advertised and people are being actively encouraged to report issues directly on the tracker rather than having a discussion in a forum thread first as usually happens.

36 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

There are well in excess of two hundred bugs on the tracker. Definitely bug-ridden.

Another non-argument.  There are over 1400 bugs on the public tracker, many of which have been there for years, so the game as a whole is "bug-ridden" as you put it.  In actual fact, the pre-release isn't very much buggier than 1.0.5, yes there are some issues but there are surprisingly few serious issues   Of the 230 currently on the pre-release tracker, I would expect the majority of them to still be present when 1.1 ships.

42 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Secondly, active development continues to occur, which is entirely capable of breaking every single mod released so far.

Yes, further development is capable of breaking things but it really is not at all likely at this stage.  I will be very surprised if my 1.1 compatible version of Part Angle Display even needs to be recompiled for the release version let alone have anything actually fixed.

Curse will have to add the option at some point and it will be annoying if it isn't present the instant that the release ships so it makes sense to implement it early.  If they (or Squad) really feel strongly about not hosting mods for 1.1 until the release then the Curse moderation people can simply reject any mods with the flag set (or turn it off if the upload also has an earlier version indicated, i.e. it works on 1.0.5 and 1.1).  However, I fail to see any real argument for not just doing it now...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm a bit late noticing this. A forum user messaged me on March 30th, after checking with Squad, 1.1-prerelease was added as an option April 2nd. Please feel free to send me a message if we miss a version release. I'll happily add any version Squad approves.  The forums move a bit fast and I sometimes miss things ;.;

5 minutes ago, Jadedcat said:

Sorry, I'm a bit late noticing this. A forum user messaged me on March 30th, after checking with Squad, 1.1-prerelease was added as an option April 2nd. Please feel free to send me a message if we miss a version release. I'll happily add any version Squad approves.  The forums move a bit fast and I sometimes miss things ;.;

Hehe, it was me that sent you the PM... ;)

Thanks for dealing with it ..

On 3/31/2016 at 8:51 AM, DuoDex said:

There are well in excess of two hundred bugs on the tracker. Definitely bug-ridden. Secondly, active development continues to occur, which is entirely capable of breaking every single mod released so far.

I fully agree with you that, given the bug tracker, this version is many weeks away from publishing. Squad, however, is beating a different drum:

On 4/12/2016 at 5:01 PM, KasperVld said:

No release today unfortunately: wheels and joint strength bugs have forced us to push 1.1 back a week from schedule. These are the things that can happen, and they are the reason we don’t give out release dates. We went back to look at a way to make a pre-release build available on our website, but unfortunately it wasn’t possible in such a short timeframe without further delaying the release.

I'm not sure how else to interpret this than "release is planned for coming Monday" although by now they might or might not have pushed that away for another week. But even without a set release date, their intention is obviously Very™ Soon™.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2016 at 3:52 PM, Jadedcat said:

Are you still with curse? I read on a Minecraft forum that curse laid off a "jadedcat" and came across this https://mobile.twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/735524306260623361

Edited by r4pt0r

9 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

@Kaelten is this forum's Curse representative currently. 

truly grand, as he was last online mid-december of '14.

The powers that be should contact curse and ask them to send a new rep, as we are still waiting for various curse features I believe.

Edited by r4pt0r

17 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

truly grand, as he was last online mid-december of '14.

The powers that be should contact curse and ask them to send a new rep, as we are still waiting for various curse features I believe.

Working on it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.