[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Meaning the CoL is slightly behind the CoM?

Or do you have them perfectly set over each other?

Possibly

BDA hasn't been released for 1.1.2 yet and AA was last updated February so isn't even compiled for 1.1.2 although it works

Okay, CoL and CoM are perfectly aligned, there is zero distance between them, and I have... I think the 1.1 version of BDArmory, and the newest version of KAX (just came out). I don't have AA as of yet, but might get it soon considering the problems I'm having. The AI pilot for BDA tries to take of oddly (by trying to dig into the ground instead of simply lifting up), and my plane is set up so that once it reaches speed, it will lift off of the ground on it's own. If more information is needed, I can give you screenshots or video of my plane and AI settings, as they may not be set up correctly, but I have messed around with them but everything is still amiss. Thank you. :wink:

Edited by Jollyfellow

1 minute ago, Jollyfellow said:

Okay, CoL and CoM are perfectly aligned, there is zero distance between them

That is a major part of your problem as well as the angle of your main wings ... Angle them up a notch or two and set your CoL slightly behind your CoM, start with the blue ball just touching the back of the yellow ball and go from there

Also set your landing gear traction control to override and then change your spring and damper settings to maximum on all landing gear

5 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

That is a major part of your problem as well as the angle of your main wings ... Angle them up a notch or two and set your CoL slightly behind your CoM, start with the blue ball just touching the back of the yellow ball and go from there

Also set your landing gear traction control to override and then change your spring and damper settings to maximum on all landing gear

Okay, I did that. Still doesn't work. It literally aims the control surfaces downwards when they need to aim upwards to lift, granted they're behind the center of mass...

2 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

Okay, I did that. Still doesn't work. It literally aims the control surfaces downwards when they need to aim upwards to lift, granted they're behind the center of mass...

Only thing I can suggest is search through the forums and find a plane building tutorial

You could try this one but is concerns the FAR mod which is a more advanced aerodynamics model than what stock uses:

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Only thing I can suggest is search through the forums and find a plane building tutorial

You could try this one but is concerns the FAR mod which is a more advanced aerodynamics model than what stock uses:

Okay, I might look into that. I'm going to send you a video of my plane (sadly it will give away my "element of suprise"), so that you can see what exactly is going on...

About eight minutes until it is uploaded

24 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

Okay, I might look into that. I'm going to send you a video of my plane (sadly it will give away my "element of suprise"), so that you can see what exactly is going on...

About eight minutes until it is uploaded

Raise your takeoff speed

1 minute ago, Jollyfellow said:

It forces the plane to stay on the ground. I've done pretty much everything...

Move your landing gear in the front further forward and a bit wider apart ... You don't want the gear to be too close to your CoM

3 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

It forces the plane to stay on the ground. I've done pretty much everything...

Have you tried praying to the Kraken?

@Jollyfellow-

Your probecore is backwards. Try it with a guy in the seat, and change the orientation.

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

BDA hasn't been released for 1.1.2 yet and AA was last updated February so isn't even compiled for 1.1.2 although it works

And it probably never will be since development on BDA has been set aside by Bahamutod

26 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

@Jollyfellow-

Your probecore is backwards. Try it with a guy in the seat, and change the orientation.

Not praying to the Kraken yet, tempted, but no.

35 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

@Jollyfellow-

Thank you! It works now

55 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

Turn your volume all the way down! You may be deafened by me forgetting to turn my mic off! Sorry!

Your wheel is clipping the rudder, making it go weird and whatever. I suggest you put a static wingsurface with an elevon for yaw control.

That being said, your aircraft does not look alot like something from the first world war.

Edited by Bananders

2 minutes ago, Bananders said:

Your wheel is clipping the rudder, making it go weird and whatever. I suggest you put a static wingsurface with an elevon for yaw control.

That being said, your aircraft does not look alot like something from the first world war or the Spanish revolution.

It's supposed to be anytime before WWII, I believe. 

Plus, it fits the requirements

41 minutes ago, Bananders said:

And it probably never will be since development on BDA has been set aside by Bahamutod

Ummm, if you read the locking post you would see that the development is on hold for now ... This being said, I personally think this happened due to the flood of issues people were reporting while KSP is in transit to a more stable version which basically broke the camels back if you will

It will likely be continued but only after the major changes that are coming to KSP code to address the issues has been completed ... You can't expect BahamutoD to constantly add fixes to a WIP when he's just going to have to do it all over again since there are some major core changes still to come

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 5/29/2016 at 9:12 PM, inigma said:

DRAFT: Air Superiority Challenge III Entry Rules:

• 4 aircraft (must look like a plane) required per team (can be same or different crafts), all must be manned with at least one Kerbal, all Kerbals in command seats, no closed cockpits.
  • All craft must be built in KSP 1.1.2
  • 2 guns maximum.
  • 50 part limit maximum per craft.
  • All stock parts permitted except: Engines, Mk3 sized parts, Big S wing, Big S elevon.
  • No mod parts permitted except the following:
    • BDArmory (required for AI Flight Computer, and AI Weapons Manager. The .50 caliber Browning machine gun is the only weapon from this mod permitted in this series.)
    • Aviator Arsenal (any weapon from this mod is permitted)
    • Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (required for liquid fueled propeller engines only, no other parts permitted)
  • No restrictions on AI, or Weapons Manager settings.
  • Entries must contain download link for the craft file(s) to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and posted to this thread (static links prevent me having to update the OP with your new versions).
  • Only AI and Weapons Manager changes are permitted to the ASC champion between matches to fine-tune their AI response to upcoming challengers. No other part changes are permitted to the ASC champion.
  • All challengers are permitted to make any changes they wish to their craft up to and just before their match vs the current ASC champion. If you are next in line, please notify the match host so your changes are committed to the match. If the match host missed your note, it's not their fault. Just re-submit your craft.
  • Only one active entry per person at a time (to prevent dueling yourself).
  • Match hosts will only engage staging once to turn on your engines at 0 throttle up to 3 minutes before match start, so be sure to tie in any components you want activated to the SAS action group (competition start engages SAS automatically), and be sure to include enough electricity to keep them active while stationary and throttled to 0.
  • You may not trigger the Weapons Manager, or AI, or any of their settings, via the staging or SAS action groups. This prematurely enables fighting, and crafts that do will be disqualified.

These are the current rules. Doesn't say anything about the time style.

18 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Surprise!  This was supposed to be up tomorrow, but I felt like burning the midnight oil for you guys.  :) I love this community so much... Bananders is one step away from absolute victory as the champion of ASC II!  Can g00bd0g unseat him?  Stay tuned to this post for the finale!  And now here's the video, I'm tired...need sleeeeeeeep...

Bananders, you did test your entry against the KOTH right? :)

After careful consideration, I must agree that SAS modules and reaction wheels should NOT be permitted for ASC III. This will up the technical difficulty a bit, and hopefully keep aircraft to conventional craft that act and fly like WWI planes.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience they may cause.

NEW DRAFT: Air Superiority Challenge III Entry Rules:

• 4 aircraft (must look like a plane) required per team (can be same or different crafts), all must be manned with at least one Kerbal, all Kerbals in command seats, no closed cockpits.
  • All craft must be built in KSP 1.1.2
  • 50 part limit maximum per craft.
  • 2 fixed guns maximum, no turrets
  • All stock parts permitted except the following prohibited stock parts:
    • all stock engines
    • all Mk3 sized parts
    • Big S wing
    • Big S elevon
    • SAS modules
    • reaction wheel modules
  • No mod parts permitted except the following:
    • BDArmory (required for AI Flight Computer, and AI Weapons Manager. The .50 caliber Browning machine gun is the only weapon from this mod permitted in this series.)
    • Aviator Arsenal (any fixed non-turreted weapon from this mod is permitted)
    • Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (required for liquid fueled propeller engines only, no other parts permitted)
  • No restrictions on AI, or Weapons Manager settings.
  • Entries must contain download link for the craft file(s) to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and posted to this thread (static links prevent me having to update the OP with your new versions).
  • Only AI and Weapons Manager changes are permitted to the ASC champion between matches to fine-tune their AI response to upcoming challengers. No other part changes are permitted to the ASC champion.
  • All challengers are permitted to make any changes they wish to their craft up to and just before their match vs the current ASC champion. If you are next in line, please notify the match host so your changes are committed to the match. If the match host missed your note, it's not their fault. Just re-submit your craft.
  • Only one active entry per person at a time (to prevent dueling yourself).
  • Match hosts will only engage staging once to turn on your engines at 0 throttle up to 3 minutes before match start, so be sure to tie in any components you want activated to the staging action group (competition start engages staging automatically), and be sure to include enough electricity to keep them active while stationary and throttled to 0.
  • You may not trigger the Weapons Manager, or AI, or any of their settings, via the staging or SAS action groups. This prematurely enables fighting, and crafts that do will be disqualified.
Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.