What is the Earliest massive forum controversy that you remember?

Rath

I'm relatively new to the forums, so the earliest I controversy I can really affected me was the 1.1 pre-release. I was aware that something happened with the mod-hosting sites, but never participated nor even bothered to find out about it.

Paid DLC. It brought the game to my attention and made me purchase it before the cutoff point where I *might* have had to pay for expansions. There has not been a point where Squad have released anything close to a DLC in the form discussed then. I`m not counting the NASA and asteroid day mods as they are becoming integrated with the main game thereby losing their status as folders external to the SQUAD folder in gamedata.

The most constant issue has been `cheating` where some people like to say this or that (most often being mechjeb but surprisingly not being overpowered engines) is cheating and then others say cheating is not possible in a single player game, especially a sandbox game. It`s just a difference of opinion and neither is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at all you younguns. Probably never even heard of the great April purge, the great form glitch. 

Back in the day even getting to general discussion was up hill both ways in harsh, irradiated vacuum. 

Anyway the first forum debate I recall was the moho atmosphere removal discussion. But that pales compared to the Great Female Kerbal Squabbles of (might have been 14?), and the DLC debate. 

I recall the GFKS going for days, and over multiple threads.. Parts were thrown, the planets shook, and different perspectives where exchanged in a mix of civil and somewhat less than civil ways.

I stayed out of the DLC debate, as it was a fuss about a hypothetical coming from one offhand comment and I buy so few computer games I've not really experienced the troubles of bad DLC.

Edited by Tw1

the earliest is forum are not forum they are agora ... but well that's close to 2000 years old so ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora

:hail @r4pt0r: xDr zeus miss me, jupiter is nice but well there's only jool after all ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
in the meanwhile thor chew some gum in the vahalalalalalalalala corner ,)

32 minutes ago, moogoob said:

I missed half these it seems. The only one I really supported was the "Save the Round 8" campaign. Because it's an awesome part and I used it all the time. :)

I was against curse (didn't have an account but I was, mentally.), against console, against removing the round-8, against naming 0.26 0.90, against EVERYTHING. WHY.

32 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

I was against curse (didn't have an account but I was, mentally.), against console, against removing the round-8, against naming 0.26 0.90, against EVERYTHING. WHY.

Because as humans our gut reaction is to dislike change, particularly if it's happening without our input or direction. We have difficulty not being in control.

(( (( while on the internet most of the place you can be con troll that's the pro )) that kinda weird i guess every internet contributor is someone else troll now ... and people still say others are troll while they are too ... weird just weird ...  me included of course ))

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Back when I first joined last November (11 months after getting KSP!), I wasn't too aware of the forum legends and hubbub. However, I clearly remember when the forum platform changed just TWO WEEKS after I became a member.

But if we're talking about controversies we were a part of, the earliest one for me was 1-2 months ago, with the whole Dres controversy. I remember how it was sort of a "war" and a few random threads were locked down because of it. I was one of those people trying to end the Dres vs Ceres debate.

Another major forum event I remember was when the Kopernicus, Kittopia Tech, and KCM threads vanished from existence. It reminded me of the April 2013 forum massacre (I was not a member at the time, thank goodness). But I'm not too sure if it counts as a controversy, because there wasn't nearly much attention on it as with the 2013 massacre. Most of the Kopernicus modding community was over the issue, but not may other people outside the modders.

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

But if we're talking about controversies we were a part of, the earliest one for me was 1-2 months ago, with the whole Dres controversy. I remember how it was sort of a "war" and a few random threads were locked down because of it. I was one of those people trying to end the Dres vs Ceres debate.

It was #DresIsALie, then it was Dres vs. Kraken, then back to #DresIsALie. I don't remember anything related to Ceres. 

When I joined, it was definitely the Dres thing or the 1.1 hype train. Current ones are the 1.1.3 hype train, 1.2, and... Still Dres hate war. I have checked, and there are actually a lot more Dres haters then before.

I don't see anything wrong with Dres. Some planets and moons are evil and most players hate them. People don't really like Eve, Tylo, and occasionally Ike and Eeloo. People don't visit Dres very much, but it doesn't have anything bad about it. Well, except that time I ran into an asteroid I was trying to rendezvous with, but nothing else bad has every happened. 

Dres is just a nice planet that deserves some love. It's never done anything wrong.

14 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

@max_creative - Oh really? Ever heard of NOT EXISTING? Also, ridiculously inclined orbit, tiny SOI, basically the Mun, nothing to see.

Well Dres is the only place with asteroids spawned in orbit in the stock game. Kerbin just has Near Kerbin Asteroids. Yes, the mun has procedural craters, but Dres has the largest canyon in the whole Kerbol System! And it definitely exists and isn't a mop. #TheLieIsALie. 

I hate you.

On 25 April 2016 at 5:21 AM, HoloYolo said:

I think the biggest one I got involved in was when zekes was announcing he was leaving over the "No more rocket companies" thing. Ticked me off that he did that and I still remember a lot of what I said from that. Yikes, was that cringeworthy on both our parts. We made up though.

Leaving because a section was being removed does sound petty, but if you think about it, It feels relatable.

More than I'd like to admit I've attempted to leave the forums anonymously after some petty event/forum member, and its on an even larger scale when the company you've worked on for years gets thrown out the window because some people violated a forum rule.

But after you calm down you get to your senses, at least.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.

The earliest for me was the announcement of 1.0 but I was lurking since at least  when Curse happened.

Hmmphh.. I miss the Spaceport.

On 16 June 2016 at 9:51 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

@max_creative - Oh really? Ever heard of NOT EXISTING? Also, ridiculously inclined orbit, tiny SOI, basically the Mun, nothing to see.

..You know what else has nothing to see?

Pretty much every other planet or moon IMO. 

Though why is Dres hate a thing? I get that it's usually at the bottom of the list for people wanting to go interplanetary, but how is there a war on it?

Edited by Columbia

5 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

By the way, I'll just repost this here, as I consider it fitting:

KBDlq2p.png

Not just Squad.

The Dres war has had big arguments and small ones, but it has been going on for at least two months. At Least. Overall, I completely agree.

Oh, and to the haters here: #TheLieIsALie! Dres is real! It is not a mop! 

DRES IS THE BEST PLANET EVER!!! 

oh yeah, and there was that krakenist thing. I like the kraken now. All hail the mighty lord kraken!

3 hours ago, electricpants said:

The first one I was active in was "the Dres war" and it appears to still be going on.

I think I might be active in it again.

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

#TheLieIsALie! 

IT IS NOT A MOP!!! 

#TheLieIsALie!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.