So, Surface Bases

DChurchill

Just now, Majorjim said:

The legs are now wheels due to the major changes Squad had to make when KSP was moved to unity 5. It is no doubt a quick fix for phantom forces caused by the new wheel module. It will most likely be added back in one the wheels/legs get fixed.

why thank you sir.

I thought landing legs were wheels since 0.90 and earlier.

I like MKS for bases(and the new planetary logistics bit seems really useful for distributed bases: whenever a non-fuel resource is full and still filling, half of it goes to the planetary reserve, and any time a non-fuel resource tank is empty, it gets half-filled from the planetary reserve if there is enough available; letting you have 'mining outposts' wherever the resources are located to supply your base and not need to worry about explicit transfers; may or may not need advanced logistics component on-planet), I had a Monoprop fueled crane that managed to transfer a mining base roughly 90 degrees away from my polar Mun base to the closest mineral reserves at one point.(took lots of hops to get that far with fuel transfers between) 

One thing I haven't checked recently about ground bases: In older versions of KSP, having non-leg/wheel components touching the ground would every so often result in a part "clipping" into the ground and exploding upon loading/entering the active physics area.  The old legs weren't exactly solid parts and tended to avoid this issue.

Is this still a thing?

12 hours ago, Xyphos said:

I meant, practical as in reusable, not every vessel will be able to dock with that on the ground, but every vessel can dock in orbit.

Ah, I see. This is true, but that's what the dedicated tanker is for--the tanker docks with the Mobile Combine on the ground, and then the tanker can dock with anything in orbit that needs refueling.

I've never been a fan of all the nonsense required to dock things together on the surface; all of it is just a kludge to get around the lack of any kind of flexible docking port.

So:

uZ3NEf7.png

Not going to work right?

RnYt7BH.gif

Much better. :D

WM7gCho.png

I still need to get the rotating part working, so that it can dock when you aren't coming in perfectly straight, but otherwise it looks good.

7 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I've never been a fan of all the nonsense required to dock things together on the surface; all of it is just a kludge to get around the lack of any kind of flexible docking port.

So:

uZ3NEf7.png

Not going to work right?

RnYt7BH.gif

WM7gCho.png

I still need to get the rotating part working, so that it can dock when you aren't coming in perfectly straight, but otherwise it looks good.

WOW!!! :confused: That is something that's been needed for a while. Magic from @DMagic again! That's F^$&*(@% cool.

18 minutes ago, DMagic said:

WM7gCho.png

I like that a lot.  I built a much heavier and clunkier version of that using three fuselage sections joined at 90 degrees to get the offset and an Infernal robotics rotating docking port adaptor to turn the whole thing, and allow my base with a docking port in the centre of a 2.5m tank dock with a Mk2 cockpit based rover.  Yours looks way better.

12 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Pretty stuff @DMagic:)

Semi-related, I've been fiddling with a new set of construction parts for NASA-style base construction.  Stabilizers, wheels, etc. for toting around 2.5/3.75m parts with ease.

Ok just adding @DMagic doesn't add that profile link. How do you do that?

34 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Pretty stuff @DMagic:)

Semi-related, I've been fiddling with a new set of construction parts for NASA-style base construction.  Stabilizers, wheels, etc. for toting around 2.5/3.75m parts with ease.

Stop posting! You're on vacation!

Or was that modder RoverDude while staff RoverDude is on vacation? :wink:

3 hours ago, DChurchill said:

Ok just adding @DMagic doesn't add that profile link. How do you do that?

@DChurchill - works here. :wink:

(It maybe a forum setting that has to be enabled, or requires javascript or something. I don't know. Works out the box here on Safari on my Mac).

@DChurchill are you trying to do it using copy/paste? That doesn't work. You have to type "@" and then start actually typing the person's name. Soon as you do a small window should open up giving you a short list of suggestions bases on what you've typed so far. When the one you want pops up, click on it. 

If that's what you've been doing, then I don't know, something is broken for you. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.