------

Prequel Mission: Gilly Superstation 1

------

1. Mission Profile

2. Payload Omega (Cthulhu In Space)

3. Payload Iota (Money Problems)

4. Payload Delta (The Abomination)

5. Payload Sigma (Orbital Assembly)

6. Refueling Intensifies (A Mothership is Named)

7. Interlude (Size Comparison)

8. Leaving Minmus (Marathon Burn)

9. Arrival (Hello Ike)

10. Iota Deployed: (Ike Mining Base)

11. Ike to Duna (Orbital Re-assembly)

12. Descent (Ride of the Valkyries)

13. Duna Ultrabase (Surface Assembly)

14. Last Mission (TARDIS)

15. Duna Science Collection (Road Trip!)

16. Leaving Duna (Homeward Bound)

17. Welcome Home (Epic Climax) 

18. Epilogue

------

Heyo all!

This is a sequel of sorts to Gilly Superstation 1, my previous feat of stupidity courage. It will feature many of the same characters and the same thematic sensibilities (or lack thereof). 

In summary: hour-long burn times and perfectly calculated delta-v are for people who have time to kill and any expectation whatsoever of things going to plan (Also, since we have finally harnessed the infinite supply of minty ice-cream rocket fuel orbiting Kerbin, rediculously oversized tugs can actually prove cost-effective with enough reuse)

There will be a few differences from GSS: in part because I'm just starting to experiment with mods, but mainly because I actually have a budget this time! I used up most of my money in GSS, but a few science contracts from Jool space (accomplished by a single xenon-powered probe) have left us with 2.5 million in spare funds. I'm sure that's a big budget by some people's standards, but I'll probably blow most of it in the first launch.

Much like the Gilly mission, I started this one by picking up a few missions in the system and appending a few goals of my own. Unlike the Gilly mission, which only had two contracts to fulfil, this one has six:

i1jpDft.png

So here's the mission summary:

1. Primary Goal 1 (contract): Establish a base on Duna. This is the most challenging contract by far: this base requires space for 5 Kerbals, 2000 Ore and 5000 Electric Charge. This is the contract I'm most worried about: it requires a number of things to go to plan, and I don't have the best track record of "things going to plan".

2. Primary Goal 2: Establish a complete mining/refueling operation on Ike, with a base and a refueler. Mining Duna is necessary for the ore requirement, but it's hardly the most efficient place to refuel. This is part of my ultimate goal of having a refueling operation in every system.

3. Secondary Goals 1&2 (contracts): I have two seperate contracts to recover small parts from Ike and Duna orbits and return them to Kerbin.

4. Secondary Goal 3: Provide the Duna base with a passenger SSTO. This is for crew rotation and tourism purposes: I like to have a plan to bring my Kerbals home, even if it doesn't work.

5. Tertiary Goals 1,2&3 (contracts): Science from space around Duna, Science from surface of Ike, and "Enter Duna's Atmosphere". That last one is a world first contract: this mission will be our first time in Duna's atmosphere. Naturally, these three will all be accomplished in the process of achieving other goals.

6. Tertiary Goal 4: Provide some sort of rover, hopper or plane to gather experiments from biomes near the Duna Base.

The logical thing to do to accomplish all these goals would be to build a series of smaller ships, but since that's slow, boring and sensible so I'm going to pour every cent of my funds into assembling an enormous mothership in orbit instead, and hope like heck it actually works.

-----

Funds: 2,503,852

Edited by Quasar

"Okay people, now remember, we have a budget for this mission! I know the first landing on Duna is a big moment, but let's not go overboard. Use those delta-v calculators we got you. Let's not make any of our launches too big, okay?"

Question for you, Gene.

"Yes?"

... I made the launch too big.

[fund counter drops by 1.7 million]

RRRRUUUUMMMBLE

J5lmrun.jpg

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!"

Interplanetary Tug.

"We've got one of those in orbit already!"

Yes, but this one's bigger. I call it the Octopus! Or... maybe Octopi sounds better? I kinda like "Octopi", but that makes it sound like there's two of them. Hmm..

----

Qz0cZjC.jpg

Our first launch, Payload Omega, aka the Octopussie... no wait that's terrible... is headed to Kerbin International Space Station, where Asicca, Henfield, and Danny are currently located. I forgot to warn them it was coming, but they're veteran astronauts. I'm sure they'll react in a calm and reasonable manner.

-----

Meanwhile, aboard Kerbinational Space Station...

Ytfk6iD.png

"AAARGH! IT'S GOING TO EAT US ALL!""

"IA! IA SHUB-SPACEKRAKEN!"

"I for one welcome our new uncaring tentacled overlords."

-----

The Octopurple is the big sister of the Stingray. Back in Gilly SS I nearly stranded everyone in solar orbit when I overestimated the capabilities of the Stingray (and my ability to eyeball transfer windows), so for this mission I carefully measured the amount of fuel I would need- haha no just kidding, I just arbitrarily tripled it.

The Octopinyata will be positioned somewhere near the center of the mothership, so it's also the perfect place for a plethora of expensive, oversized reaction wheels. Early examples of the craft tore themselves apart due to physics weirdness (radial attachment points intersecting with three SAS modules at the same time = DOOM), so this one comes with a Kerbodyne tank in the for attaching.

----

"Alright, so you're saying it's so big because the ascent vehicle is re-usable."

Mostly reusable.

"Mostly reusable. Fine. Has it been tested?"

Nope. Wait, do sims count?

"I... [sigh]... I guess they'll have to. You've done sims?"

I have spent the last week doing nothing but trying to deorbit this craft.

"... and?"

You would not believe how difficult it is. It blew up so many times. But I have a good feeling about this one!

-----

Like a glove. 

hA8VQlB.jpg

A wet glove. 

A wet glove that fell apart when it touched the water, but I forgot to take screenshots. Most of the engines survived, at least.

"Do you have any idea what saltwater does to engines, sir?"

Don't worry, I thought of that! See this? I bought this metal strip off a guy at the markets for 2 funds. Completely stops corrosion with quantum electro-osmosis or something like that! He also told me it makes hair grow back. You should try it!

"... shouldn't it be attached to the rocket, then?"

Oh.... right... knew I forgot something.

-----

In the end, I got about around 700,000 funds back from recovery and attached the Octopinwheel to KSS.

bbJNXcZ.png

This leaves us with...

Funds: 1,604,584.

Edited by Quasar

Okay, now we launch the Ike Mining equipment launch: Payload Iota. We'll just reuse the same launch system as before. It's recoverable, so it won't matter if it's hideously overpowered-

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

Mort? Who let you out of the basement?

"That's not important right now. What's important is that we don't have enough money to make this launch."

Gimme a sec, just making a note. "Buuuyyy... padlocks... for... basement... dooorrrss..." Okay, you were saying?

"It's too expensive."

"What, padlocks?"

"No! This Ike launch of yours is 1.64 million. We've got 1.60."

5ZdSURr.png

But it's a reusable launch vehicle. Mostly. If you don't mind wet rockets. Shut up, we'll get our funds back, it'll be fine.

"You can't buy something without the money to pay for it."

[theatrical sigh] Fiiiiine. What are our options then? Steal rocket parts? Bank heist? Ooh, I've always wanted to try kidnapping the president for ransom...

"Well... just throwing it out there... we could *perhaps* consider launching something a bit smaller and cheaper?"

... get back in the basement.

--------

Hey Gene, what happens if we default on a contract?

"Default on a... we can't do that!"

Yes, but why not?

"It would be utterly unscrupulous!"

Okay... not necessarily a deal breaker...

"It would severely and permanently damage our reputation!"

We have a reputation? That's a worry.

"It would... it would..."

"Waaaiiit!"

Oh my god Mortimer how do you keep getting out of the basement?

"I did the math on the last launch!"

Oh no, never do that. It's depressing as all hell.

"... I'm just going to ignore that one... Gene! Look at these numbers. We got around 700k worth of waterlogged parts back during recovery, right? And the original launch was 1765k?"

"That's right."

"So if we can do this launch for less than a million, we'll be ahead."

Pff, yea, but how on Kerbin are we supposed to-

"A million, Mortimer? Good heavens! Give me a second to work something out...  let's see, one rhino, 6 twinboars, basic asparagus staging... this is just eyeballing the numbers you realise, but I think we can do this entire launch for... well... this much:

gKeZe9g.png

... huh. That would save us half a million. We could double the size of our Duna payload for that much funds.

"Uh... wait. I wasn't actually suggesting we..."

THANK YOU MORTIMER! AS A REWARD, I GRANT YOU A BOON! ASK ANYTHING WITHIN MY POWER TO GRANT, AND IT SHALL BE YOURS!

"Can I stop living in the basement?"

Whoa, let's not get hasty here.

------

GTc6Thw.jpg

------

Some refitting later, and the launch was scheduled. Waiting until Kerbin International Space Station was overhead took a few tries because coming out of timewarp while sitting on the landing pad caused it to bounce about a meter in the air and then promptly explode. I eventually did the time-warp in the tracking station before launching.

HsgKet3.jpg

The ascent profile was slow and shallow, and needed a bit of help on the final leg.

bztr9Jp.png
By the way, does anyone know why Hot Rockets gives me weird engine smoke particles every time I go into a vaccuum? (top-right)

Eventually, we made it to orbit in sight of KiSS with a tiny bit of fuel left over in the ascent stage.

I'd originally planned to jettison the nose-cone, but thought better of it and had the Skycrane pick it up instead. You never know when a spare nose-cone might come in handy.

3wqAwYj.jpg

t53K1CC.jpg

The Skycrane's vernor engines used up enough fuel and oxidiser to empty the ascent stage, so we said goodbye to it. The life of a non-recoverable ascent stage is such a sad affair...

VVz6ZLm.png

... then we headed over to dock with KiSS. This proved difficult since the vernor engines on the Skycrane wanted to get involved, and we eventually had to enlist the Octopuggle to help us get into position...

tuTrRsp.jpg

... which promptly made everything even more difficult to control for reasons that were difficult to discern.

However, after half an orbit, ridiculous amounts of vernor engine fuel, and a lot of bouncing off of each other ("mommy, how are little spaceships made?"), KiSS had a brand new addition: Payload Iota, the Ike Mining Module.

Hbo93Db.jpg

I'll go into more detail about it if we ever get to Ike. Suffice it to say it's an extravagantly overengineered, exceedingly difficult to use and most likely useless solution to something that probably wasn't going to be a problem in the first place.

---

And so, these shenanigans leave us with...

Funds: 1,086,721

Edited by Quasar

I started the Gilly Superstation mission with a comment about the progressively improving visual appearance of spacecraft as you advance in career mode, going from the 1m parts to Rockomax to Kerbodyne to C7 (for liquid-fuel interplanetary ships) styles. Career mode really does make you feel like you're moving from real-world style spacecraft to interstellar sci-fi ships without missing a beat.

I was worried that, since I started using mods, my crafts might lose that aesthetic appeal. Afterall, each modder has their own unique artstyle, and they don't always work together.

Luckily, I can confirm that they are still as beautiful as ever. As evidence, I present Payload Delta:

Ul7YfwW.jpg

Isn't she beautiful?

This is the Duna Base and it's delivery system. I completely rebuilt her when I realised I'd have twice as much money to work with. The mission profile was expanded from two to six base modules and a science rover, and rather than giving each of the bases piddly little integrated engine I instead built an oversized skycrane to land all of them at once.

I also strapped a whole bunch of bits and bobs on on the side there, for reasons of mapping, ore discovery, orbital assembly, and ballast.

Now I just need to get Gene to sign off on launching it...

-----

Qu: Now, Gene...

Gene: "It's an abomination."

Qu: It's aerodynamic!

Gene: ""Aerodynamic" does not mean "pointy". And contrary to what you seem to think, it does not get *more* aerodynamic if you add more points!"

ryssC48.jpg

Qu: It's cheap. Y'know. Relatively speaking.

Gene: "Because you didn't add a single safety mechanism! It will almost certainly explode in the air, if it doesn't on the launch pad!"

Qu: Hasn't yet. Besides, it's unmanned. And it's asparagus-staged, just like you're so keen on!

Gene: "*That*... whatever that ascent stage is... is not asparagus staging. That is something far... far worse."

Qu: Worse? Or better?

Gene: "Okay, you know what? Go talk to Mort and Walter. If you can convince them both to sign off on this... this thing, I'll launch it."

Qu: DEAL!

-----

Qu: Mort! How are you enjoying your new quarters.

Mort: "You put me in the cupboard under the stairs."

Qu: Better than the basement, though. Anyway, I have a question...

Mort: "[sigh] Does it use up all our remaining funds?"

Qu: Nope.

Mort: "Then go ahead, I don't care anymore."

Qu: Excellent! You're doing great work lately, I really mean that. Keep this up and I might even consider upgrading you to the walk-in wardrobe.

----

Qu: Walter! Ol' buddy, ol' pal! How are things?

Walter: "No."

Qu: Awww, but-

Walter: "I've seen the monster on the launch pad. We are a reputable space agency..."

Qu: Uh.. sure. "Reputable". Let's go with that.

Walter: "... we're not some... some... freakshow! Roll up, roll up, see the ugliest thing we can put in space!"

Qu: Pff, if you think that's ugly you should see some of my other designs...

Walter: "I won't do it. I won't condone this."

Qu: I'll get you a new hazmat suit.

Walter: "..."

Qu: A good one. The brightest orange money can buy.

Walter: "... with a zipper that works?"

Qu: Damn straight.

Walter: "... fine."

Qu: WHOO!

-----

As6UXkF.jpg

-----

[meanwhile]

Gene: "[long suffering sigh] Mission Control to Kerbin International Space Station. Please stand by, we've got a new payload inco-"

zZJVOHS.jpg

Asicca: "Gene! This is Asicca, KSS Engineering Corps. We've got a, uh... a situation here. Please confirm: Payload Iota was unmanned, correct?"

Gene: "Oh.. yes, Asicca. Of course. All the payloads are unmanned."

Asicca: "Okay, so what you're saying is, whatever the heck it is that's moving around up here with us... isn't supposed to be."

Qu: There's a what.

Gene: "[pause]... Asicca, please confirm. You have something... moving... around the station?"

Asicca: "Yes Gene. Definitely mobile, and quite large. It's making a lot of noise."

Qu: Okay Asicca, I need you to stay calm. We need more information. Now tell me, has anybody disappeared? Is it in the air ducts? IS IT HUNTING YOU FOR SPORT, ASICCA? 

Asicca: "Uuuum... no? It's just banging on the walls..."

Qu: STAY CALM ASICCA! DON'T! PANIC! Now are you sure it's not picking you off one by one? Have you seen Danny lately? I always figured he'd be the first to get eaten.

Gene: "Assica, could it be an animal? I don't think anyone checked the lander-can before launch, maybe a bird flew in?"

Asicca: "It's bigger than a bird, sir."

Qu: Oh my gods, what if it's a bear?

Asicca: "I don't think it's an animal. Whatever it is, we know it's capable of EVA. It's been heard all around the station, and since somebody didn't think to give this station interior corridors...

Qu: Oh my gods, what if it's a bear in a space suit? The perfect organism.

Gene: "Asicca, has anyone actually seen it?"

Asicca: "No sir. It's-"

[BANG] [BANG] [BANG]

Asicca: "Cheeses! Ooooh-kay, that sounded like it was just outside the cupola."

Gene: "Asicca, if it's outside, do you think you'll be able to see it out the windows?

Asicca: "Uh... I admit I'm a little nervous to get too close to the window, but... I might be able to catch a glimpse of it if I just... scooch over... a bit..."

ahcYJKc.jpg

DAMMIT VALENTINA, AGAIN? And you dragged poor Bob into this as well, didn't you?

WRILsKr.png

Poor guy looks like he's been driven mad by the trauma of it all. Oh well, if it means a bit less whining on this trip I suppose it's a win. So long as his madness doesn't contaminate the science.

-----

Gene: "Asicca, do you have room for them up there? Those lander cans weren't designed for long term stays."

Asicca: "Don't worry, there's plenty of room in the Stingray."

Qu: Hmm... actually, that's a good point. We need to send that thing to Minmus for refueling anyway. Hey Val, since you're already up there, go ahead and make yourself useful. Asicca, you go with her, keep her out of trouble."

Asicca: "Understood."

R74emhd.jpg

Qu: Alright, now... what were we doing before this? Oh yes, that's right, the launch.

pExZx1n.png

Qu: Looks like it reached orbit without any issues: closing on KSS now. Neat! Gene, wasn't there something you were going to do?

Gene: "Hmm? Oh, yes! I was going to warn the station crew about Payload Delta before it arrived. You know, to prevent them from panicking and scrawling "WELCOME KRAKEN" all over the station walls again-"

wiO1jbu.png

"AAAARRRRRGGGH!"

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh spacekraken R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

"Welcome, ancient one! I am your obediant servant! EAT THEM FIRST!"

-----

Funds: 289,466

Edited by Quasar

21 hours ago, Quasar said:

Qu: I'll get you a new hazmat suit.

Walter: "..."

Qu: A good one. The brightest orange money can buy.

Walter: "... with a zipper that works?"

Know what the difference is between an encapsulated Class B suit and a Class A suit made by the same company?  The zipper and about $500.  Wish I'd have thought of that racket :)

21 hours ago, Quasar said:

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh spacekraken R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Kraken fhtagn!  Kraken fhtagn!

Qu: "Hey Gene, you'll be happy to know I took your advice about "Aerodynamic" not meaning pointy"

Gene: "... can we please put a nosecone on it? This is embarrassing."

Qu: "Nah, can't afford it."

UmZiGIL.jpg

So anyway, the final piece of the puzzle is Payload Sigma, aka. the Dunashugah. It was originally just called the Duna Shuttle, but a bee flew into someone's mouth at the wrong time and the name stuck. Besides, it's fun to chant (Dun-a-shug-ah, Duna-a-shug-ah). 

This comfortable space liner is designed to shuttle crew from Duna's surface to orbit, and in the event of martian water-zombie attack it also doubles as an interplanetary crew transport. It's a capable SSTO on Kerbin, so it should easily be capable of multiple orbital hops or even a visit to Ike before refueling.

Now, I know what you're thinking: if it's an SSTO, why does it have boosters? And the answer may surprise you, shock you even! The terrible, horrifying truth is... they're cheap and it's easier to rendezvous when you've got spare fuel.

This, of course, is our Crew Launch. You may remember some of their names from GSS. Joevey was the pilot of the GSS return module, Hayemma was rescued from Eve orbit, Hainy planted the first flag on Gilly during the trip, and Kertrid was Bob's research partner throughout the entire mission.

pzXpf0p.png

No idea who Daphdolin and Ratina are, they just turned up. They say they are scientists and definitely not android spies. Good enough for me!

------

8bAHHgs.jpg

The Shuttle is the last piece of the payload, aside from the Stingray's crew module, which we'll be re-using. Dunashugah is great and it has lots of space, but I'm planning to leave it at Duna so if I want to rotate more than 2 Kerbals out on the first transfer window I'll need the extra space. 

Also, the crew module has a low-grav RCS surface-scanning probe in it's cargo bay, which I forgot to unload back at Gilly. Possibly it'll work on Ike maybe? Who knows, let's find out! We can always bring it back if it doesn't work.

Being the final piece of the mission is also lucky because this launch used up most of the final scraps of my budget.

Funds: 72,896

But that's fine. It's not like we'll need the money between now and when we reach Duna unless we, I dunno, spot an enormous asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin.

Random Kerbal: "WE'VE SPOTTED AN ENORMOUS ASTEROID ON A COLLISION COURSE WITH KERBIN!"

uO8X1Rp.png

... Oh.

... well, let's worry about that after we've finished what we're doing here. PRIORITIES!

------

The Launch itself goes off without anything exploding, but I screwed up the ascent profile. The flames and accompanying screaming were both amusing and theatric...

0Nn5X8t.png

... but it didn't leave us with enough fuel for rendezvous, so it was once again left to the generous and altruistic robots to save the ungrateful meatbags. 

6Hee9GS.png
ZdjgaQq.jpg

The Octoparrot sets out. Danny and Henfield hop in Payload Iota's Landing Can to come with, leaving Bob to find somewhere else to sit. That's him on the left in the image below. We assured him that being outside on the hull in direct line of sight to 5 nuclear engines while they were firing would not be a health hazard, and asked him to keep this incident to himself the next time the Operational Health and Safety inspectors came around.

NBpiQ7B.jpg
ggzwtPt.png

------

The Octoperpendicular isn't the only unmanned vehicle to set out for a rendevouz with Dunashugah. A few kilometers behind KSS, Payload Delta's ascent stage fires its engines prograde. This uses up the the last of the fuel, and Delta switches to Skycrane engines for the remainder of the burn.

cVEe0Hg.jpg

It zips by the now-unmanned KSS on it's way to the final rendezvous. The KSS isn't the only thing unmanned: in fact, once the mothership leaves for Duna, I will not have a single astronaut in Kerbin's SOI. 

wGqrE1G.png

The press has taken to calling this an "exodus", but I assured them it was purely due to budget cuts and had absolutely nothing to do with the enormous asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin. They went oddly silent when I told them that.

------

Rendevouz with Dunashugah goes okay, with the only casualty being Bob's long-term risk of leukemia.

MyRUPFs.jpg

Docking takes two tries, but we eventually get them connected. Bob gratefully EVA's over to the space liner, just in time for the deceleration burn that will finalise the rendezvous with Payload Delta.

Ghs8Vkg.jpg
tQHyoCK.jpg

And after approximately a billion "simulations" (F9-F9-F9-F9-F9-F9-DETERMINATION-F9-F9-F9...), docking of these two ridiculously oversize craft is achieved perfectly on the first try (to the surprise of everyone in mission control who saw my previous docking attempts), and orbital assembly of the Duna Payload is complete.

3B5ybMt.jpg

------

All that remains is to take the entire assembly out to Minmus to join the Stingray for refueling. The Mun tried to mess with me on the way out, but I'm savvy to it's shenanigans and have plenty of fuel to burn, so I just powered straight through it's SOI laughing like a maniac the whole time.

C5HAH0p.png

Screw you Mun!

So that's that! By the time the Stingray reaches Minmus, that asteroid will have wiped out all life on Kerbin. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find out how many years of food I can put into orbit along with a Mk1 Lander Can for 72,896 Funds.

Random Kerbal: "Oh wait. My bad, I misread the readouts. Thought the icon was actual size. Turns out it's just a Class C."

Oh. Well never-mind then, carry on.

Edited by Quasar

Budget drops... *dramatic music plays*

Funny. I remember now something that happened a year (ish) ago. I was running low on money, but I had this tourist contract to fly some people around the Mun. I had to keep stripping down the ship, and I finally got it down to an affordable level. At the time of launch, I had 3 funds left. You read that correctly. 3. Anyways, the flight went as planned until re-entry. I had my camera pointed up to minimize lag (this was back in 0.90 and I play on a laptop) and I was at an altitude of about five kilometers when I decided to pop the chutes. "Why are they fully deployed?" *tilts camera downward* "WOAH, THAT'S A HUGE MOUNTAIN!"

So, yeah. 3 bucks and a mountain. Half a second later and I wouldn't have landed it. Later, I noticed that half the tourists wanted a Kerbin orbit flight. My Mun mission went straight to the mun without being in KO any time. So, I had to do another mission. I'll have to check, but I think I named the rocket "Dumb Tourists." I was really angry at the time. :D

Nonononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I just spent the week refueling the payload assembly via the Stingray. Docked with it multiple times without any trouble. Had the next chapter of the story ready to go now once it was completely full.

And now, within 30 seconds of switching to it, it's promptly torn apart by the Kraken.

The Kraken strikes regardless of whether SAS is on or off. I tried ejecting the foremost fairings to distract it, (since they were the first thing to start wobbling, and they do have a minor clash with some stuff inside), but no effect.

I figure the rover is involved somehow, since that's where the Kraken consistently attacks. I tried disassembling the rover wheels: no effect. I tried disassembling the landing legs. It stopped attacking! So I tried reloading and disassembling *only* the landing legs. And now it's attacking again. Aaarrrrgh!

Giving up for now. I don't really want to lose either legs or wheels on the rover (they're both somewhat vital to it's operation), but I at least have an excuse for disassembling the legs if it comes to that.

• 2 weeks later...

REFUELING INTENSIFIES.

The stingray drifts on out to Minmus. Capture is a simple, even somewhat boring matter, and I park the tug in a stable 20km orbit without any issues.

Next up is The Unnamed Refueller That Lives On Minmus (TURTLOM), that has been keenly waiting for the last few months to be useful again:

Ebwocpd.jpg

TURTLOM is waiting on the ground by the mining base, which is in turn located at the west end of Minmus' greater salt flats. The ever-dependable robot receives it's orders, picks up fuel from the base (not entirely sure why it wasn't hooked up and refueled to begin with), and does an ascent burn to intercept the stingray.

In Minmus' microgravity it can take off any way it likes: it was originally designed to tilt itself all the way back up to vertical via the Vernor engines, but it turned out to be easier and more fun to simply accelerate east along the salt flats.

sdDDeYQ.jpg

One uneventful ascent later, it claws onto any available surface on the stingray, (because as we all know, the hulls of Kerbal spacecraft are made entirely of discarded fuel ports) and refuels it. 

J6k4BFW.jpg

It looks like it'll take a total of four trips to completely refuel the stingray, so TURTLOM heads back down to the surface. It'll have to wait a while for the mining base to generate enough fuel to completely refuel it: it ends up being about 10 in-game days between refueling cycles.

In that time, Payload Assembly Omega passes the Mun (...ahahahahahaHAHAHA-[doppler effect]-HAHAHAHAHahahahahaha...), arrives at Minmus, and parks itself in a 20km orbit as well.

1RHkMx0.jpg

vOAMXVR.jpg

After that, it's simply a case of waiting for fuel to be refined and bringing it orbit. Cue the 80's montage music:

boGVOix.jpg

... and change.

NOuwh3H.jpg

I'm using the stingray to fuel the payload rather than fueling it directly because the 'ray can carry 4 times as much fuel and I'd rather not spend any more time than absolutely necessary in the payload's lag-aura. After handing off almost all of it's fuel, the stingray detaches, backs away, and the cycle begins anew...

TZOFj80.jpg

... and change again.

t9Qah5B.jpg

Oh sweet cthulhu this is taking forever. I'm starting to think my "build a giant mothership to save time because I don't want to do a bunch of separate transfer burns" strategy may have backfired.

Note to self: send a bigger refueler to Minmus.

Luckily, we had 220-something days to the Duna transfer window when we left Kerbin. It's been 2 months since then: we're now down to 150-something days. The Convert-o-tron is barely working at the moment...

Note to self: send an engineer to... oh. Right.

------

Valentina: "Hey Asicca!"

Asicca: "Yes?"

Valentina: "You're an engineer, right?"

rK9Idrd.png

Asicca: "Oh, yes! I didn't realise you were interested. Major in orbital assembly and space station construction: it's actually a very interesting fie-"

Valentina: "Cool, cool, so what do you know about drills?"

Asicca: "Drills."

Valentina: "Those mining drills on Minmus. They're taking forever, and Mission Control wants us to send someone to speed 'em up. Think you could do that?"

Asicca: "I... uh... there might be some basic optimisations I could make, but... I'm not an expert. You understand I've never been trained in the maintenance of-"

Valentina: "Oh don't worry about that! You think I ever actually trained to be a pilot? Nah! Kick logic out and do the impossible, that's the way we roll! You can catch a ride down the next time the refueler comes up."

Asicca: "You're not a-... but... but the refueler doesn't have any seats..."

Valentina: "Nope! Don't worry, it'll be fun!"

u2tNthh.png

tCGz4Qr.png

Asicca: "I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU VALENTINA- actually, this is kind of fun. Holy carp this is fun! Wheeeee!"

Cs1I0B7.jpg
YJp0srP.jpg
Li6j6Qr.jpg

Well, if the orbital engineering thing doesn't work out, Asicca has a promising career as a headlight ahead of her.

jsx6K08.jpg

------

The refueler unceremoniously dumps Asicca on the ground by the base.

0OcDNI8.jpg

Asicca: "Ow."

Asicca heads towards the mining base, still a bit dizzy and exhilarated from the trip down. She stops for a moment, leaning against one of the bases landing legs to regain her balance, then grabs her EVA controls and tries an experimental jump in Minmus' low gravity.

The landing leg explodes violently, throwing her a couple dozen meters across the Minmus flats.

Asicca: "Ow again."

[no screenshots, sorry: I wasn't expecting the landing leg inquisition]

A few minutes later, after resting for a moment to recover from the crippling pain, Asicca EVA's over to the base and radio's in a report to the payload crew. 

c9bUBdR.jpg

Naturally, the report includes a not-insignificant quantity of swearing and several promises to murder the engineers who installed the landing legs on the base.

------

Chief engineer Hainy Kerman, worried by Asicca's eloquent report of exploding landing legs, goes on EVA to check the ones on the payload. Her news isn't good: the four on the rover have the same batch number as the ones on the mining base, and are likely to be explosive. We're not entirely sure why or how they're explosive, but it's Kerbal engineering, so, y'know...

Worse than that, however, is what she finds when she opens one up. It's been tampered with, apparently to draw a small amount of electricity and transmit it into space as low level electromagnetic signals.

But why? Why send nearly-inaudible signals into space? And who... or what... could be hearing them?

6vn36Q4.jpg

Everyone aboard agree's: for the safety of the crew, the legs need to be disassembled. They're too dangerous to attempt a bomb defusal, and for some reason nobody thought a bomb defusal expert would be required on this mission: a pretty blatantly obvious oversight. Who planned this mission?! Whoever they are, they're an idiot and should be promptly fired- oh I remember now it was me. Nevermind then, carry on.

Half a minute of work, and the landing legs are gone.

A hidden presense, unseen by Kerbal eyes, stops wrapping it's tentacles around the ship. No longer able to perceive it's prey, it silently retreats back into the dark places between the universes.

----

A few hours later, Asicca radio's in again. This time at least, she has happier news: she can speed the bases ore extraction up. A lot.

Asicca: "It, uh... it wasn't on."

Bob: "... when you say "wasn't on"... ?"

Asicca: "The drills were in the ground, but they weren't spinning. I think the previous occupants must have turned it off when they left."

Bob: "But... then... where was the fuel coming from?"

After some discussion, the crew decide that the ore must have been pushed up the well by underground pressure. After all, it's a well known fact that particles of a solid substances can, under certain circumstances, take on the properties of a liquid. Even kerbal schoolchildren know about Ablative Ceramic Tiles.

Asicca agrees to stay on the ground and keep an eye on things until they're fueled. 

Asicca: "By the way, you seem remarkably lucid today Bob."

Bob: "Oh yes, thank you. I'm trying some new medication Valentina gave me. It's calming me down wonderfully, and the hallucenations are really quite manageable so long as I remember they're all inside my head."

Asicca: "Uh... what's inside your head?"

Bob: "The spiders, of course. The spyiiiders  I can feel them crawling about in there, laying their eggs. Millions of them. One day my head will split open like a ripe melon and innumerable numbers of them will come pouring out... and it will be glorious..."

Asicca: "Yeah Bob, I'm going to hang up now. You just... you go get some sleep. Don't let Val give you any more Meds until the doc takes a look at them, okay?"

Bob: "Sure thing Asicca! Goodnight! Don't let the bed bugs take over your mind and control you like a flesh puppet-" [Asicca hangs up]

----

qykd9Ft.jpg

... and change.

A2BXWDf.png

It's a good thing Kerbals are completely immune to the effects of gamma radiation (Editors note: no they aren't who told you that?), or firing the Stingray's engines directly at the crewed payload assembly like this could be really bad for the crew's long term health prospects.

WebW8F9.jpg

Y'know, until now I never really got why people mine asteroids. I mean sure, they can be moved to LKO which is more convenient, but ultimately they're just a finite source of dull grey fuel when the delicious minty fuel from Minmus is infinite.

But I think I'm starting to understand. What I wouldn't give right now to be able to connect to a Class-E and just timewarp until the tanks were full...

Though it looks like we're good on Liquid Fuel now. Just need to completely refuel the Stingray one more time...

8445iWz.png

... and have the refueler take a trip or two over into the lagzone to deliver some spare Oxidiser to the payload. I actually did this synchronously with the last few stingray refuelings. Quite by co-incidence, the stingray drifted into the same area as the payload just as we were finishing up.

43SrgKl.jpg

Nice shot of all the ships in front of Kerbin, Minmus and the Mun there.

... and of course we need to pick up a certain Orbital Engineer/Headlight...

Z8QjK69.jpg

4QP9hrt.jpg

Asicca: "I'm on top of the world!"

USKFXsD.jpg

Asicca: "Hahaha, this is so much fun! So long as I don't look down it's great- oh. Whoops."

wWemUF5.jpg

8s5Rd32.jpg

Asicca: "Dammit. Don't puke don't puke don't puke don't puke..."

After reaching orbit and plotting a rendevouz, Asicca and TURLOM have a few hours to burn. They talk about their feelings, paint each others toenails/enormous rover wheels, and go on an adventure to save the noble kingdom of vaccuum from the dreaded Lord Kraken. They become fast friends, and Asicca bequeaths upon the refueler a name: "Turtle".

gdcq0Ak.png

utSv0f9.jpg

Turtle loves the name and is eternally grateful to Asicca, except that it's not because it's a robot and everyone knows robot's don't have feelings.

Eventually, however, all good things must come to an end. They reach the payload assembly, and Asicca boards it.

IlXlAMT.jpg

Like a puppy, dear little Turtle tries to follow her in, but sadly it proves slightly too large to fit through the crew hatch.

OWIPchJ.jpg

We perform the last refueling, and we're good to go.

szvhnkv.png

We're done! And it only took me three damn weeks, dozens of docking maneuveres with big, heavy, laggy craft, and a narrowly avoided Kraken attack!

Just a few bits of cleanup left to do, and we'll be ready to await the Duna Transfer window.

I admit I'm a little bit worried about peeving off the Kraken again. especially since I haven't tried SAS or full burn yet. Disassembling the landing legs stopped the wobbles from building up enough to destroy the ship, but they're still happening. Hopefully, if we do peeve it off, Asicca can head out and add struts to make it safe, but really it's anybody's guess what will happen under full burn.

But who cares about that, because the time has finally arrived: the mothership is assembled and awaits a name.

This is an important decision: this is the first manned mission to another planet, after all, plus the biggest craft I've ever assembled. We need something representative of both the ships appearance and function. Something to go into the history books. Something concise, memorable and inspiring.

I have just the name. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

FShXqhM.jpg

Edited by Quasar
Formatting, typo's

Unbelievably huge, overly complicated ships with weird lighting effects and Lovecraft references all over the place... what's not to love???

I'm hooked, and look forward to more of your madness!!!  :D

A couple of things. First of all, wow. Second of all, I'm very glad that you gave the skycrane a hat. Third, how do you stitch the face shots together so well? Fourth,

Iä! Iä! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Kraken Bop wgah'nagl fhtagn!

(Hail! Hail! In his house on Bop the dead Kraken waits dreaming!)

INTERLUDE

------

Shub-Niggurath is a heck of a craft: weighing in at 1529.66 tons, with 1145 parts, it's easily the biggest thing I've ever assembled in KSP. 

PCrkPur.png

It technically has space for more than 40 kerbals, but despite being a save-scumming, timewarp-abusing, Kerbal-stranding monster of a KSP player, I do actually have some standards. I only consider the spots in the Dunashugah and Stingray viable for long-term space travel, since the actual base parts are designed with gravity in mind and the landercans are not designed for long-term habitation. 

Not that it matters: that's still more than 20, and the intrepid crew only numbers 11 because I didn't want to give Mort a(nother) heart attack by going on a hiring spree.

Anyway, here's a scale comparison: Shubby against it's predecessors, the Excalibur and Gilly Superstation.

USEq9oB.jpg

I think you get the idea. It's big. Big enough that I'm pretty sure even Val won't be able to land this one on any low gravity moons.

Valentina: "Hey Bob, how much gravity does Minmus have?"

Bob, me, and the rest of the crew in unison: "NO!"

------

Hmm... before we leave, we should probably look at giving everyone jobs and titles. So... meet the crew:

oIykcoM.png

* Mission Commander Valentina Kerman
* Pilot, 4-star

Ultimately responsible for all mission decisions once they leave the Kerbal system. Something of a wildcard. Habit of stowing away on ships she shouldn't be on, partaking of recreational snacks (definitely not drugs, this mission is family-friendly), and being the first to do everything. 

* Co-pilot Joevey Kerman
* Pilot, 4-star

Ace pilot and Val's number two, he generally takes the controls whenever she's off on EVA, landing on a new celestial body, or in her bunk partaking of snacks. This guy generally acts like a BadS, but he falls to pieces the moment things start exploding around him. What a wuss. What a total wuss. Habit of being a wuss.

* Backup Pilot Henfield Kerman
* Pilot, 4-star

Remember folk, always carry a spare pilot with you in case you suffer a blowout or puncture. Henfield has a posh British accent even though he's from outer space and there is no Britain. Habit of suffering from space cramps.

* Chief Engineer Hainy Kerman
* Engineer, 4-star

Thrust into a leadership position when Bill... uh... "failed to return" from Minmus all those years ago (for legal reasons, I'm not allowed to say we forgot to rescue him), Chief Hainy has proven herself in a variety of situations, but prefers to work behind the scenes. Habit of hiding behind Bob during group photo's, apparently.

* Orbital Engineer Asicca Kerman
* Engineer, 4-star

Specialising in orbital assembly and station construction, Asicca in charge of keeping the mothership together. Habit of being calm and logical, even enjoying herself in crisis situations whilst suffering extreme panic attacks during periods of relative safety.

* Automotive Mechanic Hayemma Kerman
* Engineer, 3-star

How an ordinary car mechanic ended up stranded in orbit around Eve is anybodies guess (she changes the subject when we ask), but Hayemma has been training to join the KSP engineering corps ever since. Habit of naming different parts of the ship.

* Head Scientist Dr. Bob Kerman
* Scientist, 4-star

On meds for trauma-induced insanity, he is a level headed and sensible, if somewhat cowardly, head researcher. Off his meds he's completely bonkers. Habit of repeatedly jumping out of airlocks in dangerous situations.

* Material Scientist Dr. Kertrid Kerman
* Scientist, 4-star

Bob's partner in SCIENCE, Kertrid keeps an eye on him and makes sure he takes his meds regularly. Habit of obsessively cleaning the lab to prevent contamination of her precious material studies.

* Extrakerrestrial Biologist "Dr." Danny Kerman
* Scientist, 4-star

Technically Danny's PhD is from ADIU (Aliens Did It University), which isn't an accredited institution, but he's been with the program for a while and has lots of experience, so we humour him. In the admittedly unlikely event we encounter signs of extrakerrestrial life, his skills will be invaluable. If we don't, well, at least we can say we looked. Habit of worshiping incomprehensible beings from the outer dimensions.

* General Practitioner Dr. Daphdolin Kerman
* Scientist, 1-star

Our medical doctor, in charge of keeping the crew alive and healthy on the trip out. With a minor is psychology she is also technically in charge of keeping them sane, but KSP knows a lost cause when they see one. Definitely not an android spy. Habit of not being an android spy.

* Planetary Geologist Dr. Ratina Kerman
* Scientist, 1-star

A keen and enthusiastic young geologist who has dreamed of going to Duna ever since she was a child. For the record, her name is pronounced similar to "retina", not "rat-tina". Habit of threatening people who mispronounce her name with a spork.

------

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Unbelievably huge, overly complicated ships with weird lighting effects and Lovecraft references all over the place... what's not to love???

I'm hooked, and look forward to more of your madness!!!  :D

Likewise! Emiko station was my the first Kerbal Fanfic I read when I started visiting here. I really enjoyed the story, and it prompted me to start reading more Kerbal fanfics and eventually to start recording the details of my own missions.

4 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Third, how do you stitch the face shots together so well?

Plain ol' MS Paint. Just cut out the bit you want in one screenshot and paste in into the other. :)

Edited by Quasar

8 hours ago, Quasar said:

Plain ol' MS Paint. Just cut out the bit you want in one screenshot and paste in into the other. :)

Huh. In that case I think my problem is just that I never get a chance to compare them before posting.

23 hours ago, Quasar said:

After reaching orbit and plotting a rendevouz, Asicca and TURLOM have a few hours to burn. They talk about their feelings, paint each others toenails/enormous rover wheels, and go on an adventure to save the noble kingdom of vaccuum from the dreaded Lord Kraken. They become fast friends, and Asicca bequeaths upon the refueler a name: "Turtle".

Still snickering over this.

23 hours ago, Quasar said:

Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

Iä! Shub-Niggurath! As a foulness shall ye know Them. Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not

18 hours ago, Quasar said:

Anyway, here's a scale comparison: Shubby against it's predecessors, the Excalibur and Gilly Superstation.

That's friggin' amazing.  I think she's aptly named :wink:

19 hours ago, Quasar said:

Likewise! Emiko station was my the first Kerbal Fanfic I read when I started visiting here. I really enjoyed the story, and it prompted me to start reading more Kerbal fanfics and eventually to start recording the details of my own missions.

Really?  Wow... I'm honored!  :D

So I have a question, if I may.  If you said already and I missed it then I apologize, but I'm super curious what kind of computer you're running KSP on, and how is the performance with a 1145 part ship?  I have to wonder if your computer doesn't hate you a little for it... lol... 

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

If you said already and I missed it then I apologize, but I'm super curious what kind of computer you're running KSP on, and how is the performance with a 1145 part ship?  I have to wonder if your computer doesn't hate you a little for it... lol... 

My PC is a recently built one with fairly high-end components. It's not the best money can buy (nothing overclocked or at the extreme end of gaming tech), but it's pretty good.

Even so, Shub-Niggurath is more than a match for it: I don't think this mission would have even been possible before 1.1.0, and the lag is still pretty bad: more than enough to make piloting it a chore. (around 5fps maybe? I'm terrible at judging fps) I can timewarp up to 4x when I'm just turning, but while it's burning it needs to stay at 1x.

If I build anything this size again, I'll do it with bigger parts rather than more of them... hmm... I wonder how big Tweakscale can make the SpaceY fuel tanks...

8 hours ago, Quasar said:

My PC is a recently built one with fairly high-end components. It's not the best money can buy (nothing overclocked or at the extreme end of gaming tech), but it's pretty good.

Even so, Shub-Niggurath is more than a match for it: I don't think this mission would have even been possible before 1.1.0, and the lag is still pretty bad: more than enough to make piloting it a chore. (around 5fps maybe? I'm terrible at judging fps) I can timewarp up to 4x when I'm just turning, but while it's burning it needs to stay at 1x.

If I build anything this size again, I'll do it with bigger parts rather than more of them... hmm... I wonder how big Tweakscale can make the SpaceY fuel tanks...

That's what I figured.  The reason I asked is I just got a new Dell i7 machine, and it's like you said, really nice and high-end, and handles KSP wonderfully... but there are still better game machines beyond my price range.  But so far I've only gotten as high as about 600 parts.  I imagine as nice as this is, it wouldn't like me going over 1000 parts.  :wink:

Now, for the trip to Duna itself, I have been uncharacteristically thoughtful, and have laid out two options for consideration...

Option A: the "Minmus-to-Duna as efficiently as possible" maneuver.

IVUFuO9.png

Step 1. Wait until we are within 47 days (Minmus' orbital period) of the transfer window. Burn out of Minmus' SOI, and lower our Kerbin Periapsis to 70km.
Step 2. Await the transfer window, as given by Kerbal Alarm Clock. When we are 1 orbit ahead of it, adjust our orbit so we will be at our periapsis at the exact moment.
Step 3. At the next Asc/Dsc node, perform a plane change. This is put off until now to slightly reduce the chances of the Mun screwing with our orbit before it's time to leave. 
Step 4. At periapsis, burn prograde all the way to Duna. 

Alternatively...

Option B: the "Who needs efficiency? Have you SEEN how much fuel we have?!" maneuvre.

BMoy2SC.png

Step 1. Screw it, just burn straight to Duna.

------

Gene: "Option B."

Qu: Wait, really? I thought you of all people...

Gene: "Option A has far too much risk of Munar interference. It would certainly be more efficient, but as you correctly state, we have an excess of fuel. We may as well use it." 

Qu: Huh. Fair enough, I guess. Let's do it, then! Game on!

Gene: "... when the transfer window comes around in 100 days time, you mean."

Qu: Oh. Right.

------

[1 timewarp boredom induced coma later]

DgfL0iD.png

Gene: "Mission Control to Shub-Niggurath. T-minus 2 minutes to Duna transfer burn.

Joevey: "Roger, Control."

Gene: "Joevey? I thought Valentina would be piloting this burn."

Joevey: "She is. She opted to perform the burn from the Stingray's cockpit, where she can see the entire ship from."

Gene: "Okay, understood. You're green on all ground checks, crew. T minus 1 minute."

Joevey: "Thanks Control. Engineering crew, report."

Hainy: "Engines, check."

Asicca: "Structural integrity, check."

Hayemma: "Rover wheels, check."

Joevey: "... rover wheels, Hayemma?"

Hayemma: "Nobody told me what I was supposed to check!"

Joevey: "Fine. Science crew?"Ratina: "Experiments Stowed, check."

Danny: "Ritual sacrifice performed, check."

Daphdolin: "No android spy's aboard, check."

Kertrid: "Materials bay obsessively cleaned, check"

Bob: "Delicious Head Spiders, check!"

Kertrid: "... dammit Val, stop giving Bob meds from your stash!"

Joevey: "Sounds like we're good to go. Henfield?"

Henfield: "All lights green, ol' chap."

Joevey: "Valentina, we're ready for burn. T-minus 10 seconds."

Valentina: "Haha, everyone put your tray tables up and-"

Joevey: "That joke stopped being funny 10 years ago, Val."

Valentina: "Spoil sport. Prep for burn in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."

--------

vu2S43d.jpg

Burn is underway.

.... this is going to take a while, and nothing interesting will happen during the course of the burn. Nothing interesting at all.

1G1Jnc6.jpg
EhXZFqB.jpg

Asicca: "Oh no... this is not good. Valentina! Val, do you read?"

Valentina: "Whoooo! This is so much fun! You have you try this!"

Asicca: "You need to shut down the engines Val! If you keep this up the whole ship will break apart!"

Valentina: "Oh, relax! It's fine!"

Asicca: "NO IT IS NOT! I'm an orbital engineer, this is my specialty! The ship is resonating! Every wobble is bigger than the last! Do you understand?! We're a minute at most from catastrophic failure!"

Valentina: "..."

Asicca: "DAMMIT VALENTINA I'M SERIOUS! TRUST ME! YOU HAVE! TO SHUT! IT! DOW-"

VVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvv....

Asicca: "[breathes] ... thanks, Val. Gimme a sec to suit up, check things out. If I'm fast, we can resume the burn in a moment."

------

rytX90A.jpg

Asicca: "No no nonoNO! These struts are useless!"

Joevey: "Asicca? It's Joe. What's the problem out there?"

Asicca: "It's these orbital struts. The way they're set up, they're just gonna just tear the ship apart. I think we need a new plan."

------

[the KAS strut connections are pulling bits off the stingray the moment I start burning. I think they're an order of magnitude stronger than the stock joints, so the entire force of the ship's mass wobbling to and fro ends up concentrated wherever I attach them, rather than distributed through the ship. Obviously, this snaps pieces off]

------

Henfield: "Ma'am, if I may?"

Asicca: "Go ahead Henfield,"

Henfield: "Part of the 'wobble' problem is that the ship is buckling where compressive force is applied between the high-thrust aft-tug and the moderate-thrust mid-tug. It should be trivial to negate that force by simply reducing the thrust of the aft-tug. Only turn on 8 engines, to match the mid-tugs maximum thrust levels."

Asicca: "Hmm... that might work. It won't prevent the wobble, but it would certainly reduce the possibility of catastrophic failure. It will mean longer burn times, though."

Distant voice from Kerbin: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Asicca: "Did... did you hear that?"

Henfield: "No, ma'am, I did not hear anything."

Asicca: "Alright, well. Turn off a few of the Stingray's engines and let's try again before we go too far.

Henfield: "Yes, ma'a,m."

------

IwXxusr.png

Asicca: "It seems to be working. Still some wobble, but nothing the occasional burst of RCS won't fix."

Henfield: "Yes, ma'am. Burn times are around the 20 minute mark."

Distant voice from Kerbin: "And it's lagging, so it'll take twice that! And I've got to babysit it with the RCS! I hate you! I hate you both so much!"

Asicca: "You're sure you don't hear that?"

Henfield: "No ma'am."

-------

GpTyU1B.png

There's the sun again. Burning all the way across Minmus' dark side, and we're barely a quarter of the way done. Dammit, I was not mentally prepared for this.

I hate marathon burns.

-------

N4msuT2.jpg

Bob? Bob, are you okay there buddy? You don't look okay. I don't know what Val gave you, but whatever it was, I think it's wearing off.

Don't worry buddy, we'll get you your proper Meds the moment this burn finishes.

------

341wMy0.png

Halfway there...

------

NJkTgub.jpg

Three quarters, and the ship keeps pitching away from center. What's going on? Do we have uneven fuel distribution or...

HfLJKhE.jpg

... or maybe I just forget to disable fuel crossfeed on the docking ports. Blargh! Hayemma, fuel crossfeeds were your job! I'm pinning this on you!

Hayemma: "Well maybe someone should have, I dunno, told me it was my job!"

No excuses!

------

6HPEt9k.jpg

Nearly done.

This burn. Oh my god this burn. Urgh. Never again.

------

Aaaand... now! Cut the engines.

mFd1u0u.png

Whoa, look how far we travelled during the burn.

fMs1wHF.png

Folks... we have our Duna rendevouz. The Shub-niggurath is officially on it's way to Duna.

I'm done for today. Queue up a maneuver node for later: we'll sort out the details of our arrival then. For now, let's break out the champagne.

Val: "We've got champagne? Awesome!"

Huh? No, I meant the ground team. We're having champagne. We're going to get so hammered down here, you have no idea.

Val: "Well... what've we got?"

You have loads of nutritional spacepaste if you want. Feel free to break that out and eat as much as you like. Go nuts! You crazy kids.

Val: "Aww..."

9 hours ago, Quasar said:

This burn. Oh my god this burn. Urgh. Never again.

And just think, you get to do it again when you get to Duna :)

9 hours ago, Quasar said:

Val: "We've got champagne? Awesome!"

Huh? No, I meant the ground team. We're having champagne. We're going to get so hammered down here, you have no idea.

Val: "Well... what've we got?"

You have loads of nutritional spacepaste if you want. Feel free to break that out and eat as much as you like. Go nuts! You crazy kids.

I betcha somebody will figure a way to ferment the spacepaste :)

One maneuver 40 days later, and we're on-course for a rendezvous with Ike. I decided the crew should visit the Dunian moon first, on a whim more than anything else.

g7HoO8k.png

The crew's eyes glaze over and they start drooling, a sure sign that boredom has overwhelmed their higher order brain functions. Eventually, however, they come out of it, in time to ooh and ah at the red planetary system as they approach it.

eRrZ5Q6.jpg

Kertrid heads out on a science collecting mission as we drift towards Ike. The only source of science we have aboard the Shub-Niggurath (aside from obvious things like crew and EVA reports) is the experiments aboard the Roverhopper, so she moves up to the front of the craft, taking a moment to appreciate it's sheer size.

crvCkjT.jpg

Sometimes she forgets just how dang big it is. Kertrid let's out a low whistle before returning her mind to the task at hand.

In another plane of being, foul tendrils reach out towards their prey. A small prize, but food nonetheless.

She gently brushes against a rover wheel as she nears the experiments.

The Kraken pounces....

jPrtjwe.png

Shub-Niggurath vanishes in an instant. Duna and Ike race away. Kertrid stares in horror as she is pulled out of the Solar System, dragged from this very plane of reality.

Behind her, an unholy chittering informs her of her fate. She turns and catches a glimpse of dozens... hundreds of wide, gasping maws filled with dripping teeth, and her mind surrenders to madness as they close upon her.

------

F9

------

Sometimes she forgets just how dang big it is. Kertrid let's out a low whistle before returning her mind to the task at hand.

In another plane of being, foul tendrils reach out towards their prey. A small prize, but food nonetheless.

She pauses, then nervously navigates around the rover wheels. She's not sure why, but something deep within her is telling her not to touch them.

The Kraken pauses in confusion. Something has changed... the prey is no longer visible.

Kertrid starts gathering up her precious goo and material studies, before they reach Ike's SOI and she can do it all again. Lost in the joy of science, the strange moment of dread is quickly forgotten.

Irritated, the beast retreats again into the darkness between the shadows.

------

Duna Orbital Insertion Burn

mWByfiQ.jpg

Oh that's right, someone wanted some science from Duna space, didn't they? Better send that off.

PtrwlSe.jpg

MULTITASKING.

------

craNS4J.png

Duna Insertion Achieved. Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now officially residents of the Duna planetary system. So... what now? Should Shub-Niggurath circularize around Ike, or continue on to Duna?

Valentina comes up with a third option: split up.

CQwal35.jpg

The crew pile onto the Stingray. It and Payload Iota would circularize around Ike, while the unmanned Octopus would insert Payload Delta into Low Duna Orbit.

But then Kertrid remembers the experiments. Not much point in going to Ike if we can't bring the roverhopper with!

A few moments later, the Shub-Niggurath is in 4 seperate pieces.

XCgQ0IO.png

But the crew are professionals (and I've had a lot of docking practice now. Flippin' refueling), and they perform an elegant, zero-G dance to get the ships rebuilt. With Joevey piloting and Asicca offering construction advice, it doesn't take them long to hook Payload Delta back to the Octopus...

jC7irmg.png

... and then attach the rover to the front of Payload Iota.

Hzbl948.jpg

With everything hooked up, Val starts up the Stingray's engines (all of them, this time around) and circularizes around Ike...

P8ooaz4.png

... while Payload Delta returns to Duna orbit. It drifts out to it's apoapsis, and then...

Valentina: (staring out the window at Ike) "So, where're we landing?"

Ratina: "The surface scanning probe will let us know where the highest ore concentrations are."

Valentina: "The surface scanning probe..."

Ratina: "Yeah. We've just got to deploy it. It's attached to the side of... Payload... Delta...

DdVNn0A.jpg

Whoops.

Oh well, no biggy: the scanning probe's got Ion engines and a full tank of Xenon. It can make it's own way back. After a brief scare caused by me forgetting I'd turned off the reaction wheels, it deploys and begins burning for Ike.

UNUnMNc.jpg

Meanwhile, Payload Delta falls back towards Duna. At the periapsis it circularizes it's orbit, where it will wait for the crew to arrive.

x40mrFm.jpg

JOqpXxU.png

We're well established in the Duna system now. Nearly time to actually start doing missions!

Now, what's the first thing we'll need? Well, there's a part in orbit around Ike not far from the crew. So all we've got to do is rendezvous and pick it up with the claws... 

... the claws that are still attached to Payload Delta...

... which is now in Low Duna Orbit...

... dangit.

Edited by Quasar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.