Project Ares: Alternate Earth History in Real Solar System

Felbourn

Great episode again.

The view at about 4min:00s put a smile upon my face...

I didn't get the spoiler explanation.

Spoiler

were the parts attached to the previos launch and hidden there, or did you add them via save game editing?

Spoiler

Is the title Alternate Realty Earth Saving ?

Thanks for your time and effort. I am looking forward to your next video - whenever it comes.

Edited by KroShan
Spoiler-Spoiler

How I did the orbital construction:

Spoiler

This truss part attached to the bottom of the construction and habitation module is actually made of many models.

ZK2kDpN.png

But they were are commented out, for example:

//	MODEL
//	{
//		model = FASA/Gemini2/FASA_Gemini_MOL/GeminiMOLSci
//		position = 0.513, 5.997, 0.005
//		scale = 1.7, 1.7, 1.7
//	}

After saving and closing, I uncommented the models I wanted to show and commented out some shipping containers. There are still some hidden models that I can "construct" later. The total launch mass was already correct by having the mass of the large shipping containers set very high.

Why is it called Project Ares?

Spoiler

It's not an acronym at all, so all guesses like "Alternate Earth" whatever will all be incorrect. Ares is a noun or name; a person, place, or thing.

Edited by Felbourn

Thanks - i think this is a nice / elegant way to do it. - for some reason i thought it is attached to the first launched station core.

What is your framerate with this station/how high is the partcount now?

Spoiler

Did i miss the hint 'Not an acronym' or was it the first time pronounced

Off Topic:
well- now i will try to populate my own RSS/RO/RP0 Station (20t Core segment and tiny compared to yours) in year 1955. I think i have to try the welder mod - but i think the reloading times are to long for my patience.

I just found out on @Felbourn's tweet

that he is very popular in Europe - more viewers on the list are from here than on the west side of the great pond ( about 18 000 views without russia)

Edited by KroShan

@Felbourn Thanks for the @ on twitter! ( @colin_votier ) Ya, if there are any parts you want for your next episode(s) let me know. You're hiatus will give me time to work on them. Also, bits for the interludes are on the table. I already have one in mind... if i can figure out exporting animations from Maya. lol. 

@Felbourn, on the topic of your Perun launcher: I'm no theologian, so don't quote me on this, but I do not believe that Thor is the English translation of Perun. If I remember correctly, Perun was a God of thunder in a similar but definitely different religion called Sumosenko (or something :)) that was commonly practiced in what is today Finland. 

Edited by Sanic

The Ares Station is:

Spoiler

Yes, it's Freedom.

22 hours ago, KroShan said:

'Not an acronym'

Yep, I said in some recent episode (not sure which) that Ares as an acronym was a creative guess, but a wrong guess.

7 hours ago, CSVoltage said:

any parts you want for your next episode

I don't think I need parts for Ares in the very near future, but probably could use things for the further future. The problem is... I have not done the planning out that far. My ideas are vague beyond 1-2 episodes. I don't think I'll know exactly what I need until closer to when I need it. :(

There are other ideas I've had though... like redoing a more modern Juno satellite. I did one 2+ years ago but parts have advanced a LOT since then, and it would be cool to revisit building a custom Juno perhaps even as a mod of its own for people to download. I'm sure there are parts I'd need if I did that. I guess it all depends on what kind of parts interest you.

Edited by Felbourn

Good evening Bob.  A question-  I've started going back and watching Gateway and Odyssey again, and something you say in the beginning of the first Gateway episode makes me wonder; is there a Further back beginning to this story that was chronicled/experienced, or did you just have this germ of an idea and then came up with back-story for Gateway?

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:10 AM, KroShan said:

Thanks - i think this is a nice / elegant way to do it. - for some reason i thought it is attached to the first launched station core.

What is your framerate with this station/how high is the partcount now?

Reveal hidden contents

Did i miss the hint 'Not an acronym' or was it the first time pronounced

Off Topic:
well- now i will try to populate my own RSS/RO/RP0 Station (20t Core segment and tiny compared to yours) in year 1955. I think i have to try the welder mod - but i think the reloading times are to long for my patience.

I just found out on @Felbourn's tweet

that he is very popular in Europe - more viewers on the list are from here than on the west side of the great pond ( about 18 000 views without russia)

Bob I have recently taught my Air Cadets about Rocket Propulsion and told them all about your feed hopefully you should of got more visits from us Brits.

I was pretty shocked this weekend when i realized that the EU has more inhabitants than the USA (510 million vs 322 million) but the budgets are really different ESA has ~10€ per year and inhabitant, NASA has more than ~50€ per year and inhabitant.

I participated in todays ESA Citizen debate. And some of the questions discussed international cooperation. I think every little step to Bob's vision is a good one.

Now i wonder what the budget of EUSA is.

On September 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Moose Rocket Science said:

Where's the git repo?

I am guessing that Ares is the name of the mission to mars in the book "Voyage" 

That would be cool. But I think I've seen that already in KSP.

Also, @Felbourn is Lunar craft looks similar to the proposal by Von Braun. (Not the spaceplane thing, but the large craft, I can't remember the word)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.