Aurora Black Project Aircraft

The Aurora was a rumored American spy plane operating in the 80's. However there is overwhelming evidence that a high speed program exists today under the same designation, "Aurora."

My version is based on the common depiction of the aircraft. She makes Mach 4.7 at 21k meters using a hybrid R.A.P.I.E.R. - Whiplash propulsion system for high efficiency and power at all altitudes. The Rapiers never switch to rocket mode JSYK. It has 10 thousand units of liquid fuel but only 15 minutes of endurance at those high speeds and relatively low altitudes. However in that time the Aurora can fly exactly half way around Kerbin.

MAX OPERATING SPECS

Service ceiling: 26,000 meters.

Max safe operating speed: Mach 5.815 or 1,738 m/s.

Endurance: 15+ minutes at Mach 5.8 and 21k meters

Minimum Rotate Speed: 95 m/s

Stall speed: 80m/s

Turn time: 29 seconds for 180 degree turn

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Recommended Cruising Alt: 23,000 meters

Recommended Cruising speed: 1,200 m/s

Recommended Throttle Setting at Cruising Alt:   95% throttle

Recommended Rotate Speed: 120 m/s

Recommended landing Speed: 120m/s

Recommended Use: High altitude hypersonic research/spy plane and speed record attempts.

This model comes equipt with a full science package in the nose and a optional laser guidance scope thing from BDA for looking at objects on the ground from high altitudes.

I will put the download on here at a later date. I still have to do more testing. Stay tuned!

Edited by Gman_builder

Hey man, If you want to link the Imgur album take this part: Lr8Fi and paste it into the box that opens when you click on the little white [ i ] in the top right corner of the toolbar above.

The aircraft looks awesome by the way! Nice build, very smooth and I'm sure it will spark some UFO sightings around the KSC. :wink:

Edited by Majorjim

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Hey man, If you want to link the Imgur album take this part: Lr8Fi and paste it into the box that opens when you click on the little white in the top right corner of the toolbar above.

The aircraft looks awesome by the way! Nice build, very smooth and I'm sure it will spark some UFO sightings around the KSC. :wink:

Oh so THATS how the albums work. Thanks for the complement! I wish Kerbpaint worked so I could paint this thing jet black.

Edited by Gman_builder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.