Prometheus Missions

T3Kaos

I am a massive fan of Kerbal Space Program and a huge fan of Aliens. While watching Prometheus the other night the thought struck how perfect it would be to create a plugin that allows you to recreate the missions in the Prometheus and Aliens storylines. It would be absolutely incredible to recreate the Aliens universe in KSP. Anyone interested in working on this? 

Step 1: Creating the Universe

In developing the Prometheus: Aliens mod I'd think the first thing to do would be to create the universe. So I suggest the following. I will need to create a new system that is ridiculously far from Eeloo, so basically this would be effectively end game expansion. I intend to model the entire Zeta 2 Reticuli System for inclusion so you could theoretically explore other moons as well as your primary objective.

Zeta 2 Reticuli is a wide binary star system in the southern constellation of Reticulum, 39.17 light years from Earth and the location of LV426 (Prometheus) and LV223 (Aliens), both planetary bodies are around separate gas giants in and near the binary star system (see image link). Although LV426 and LV223 are around separate Gas Giants with about a 1/7 of the diameter, LV426 is quoted as having a diameter of 1200kms (LV426 in an early Alien script was quoted as having a diameter of 120km) this would make the Gas Giant have a diameter of 8400kms, making it much smaller then Earth (12700kms), the same can be suggested for LV223.

LV426 like LV223 are the largest planetary bodies around separate gas giants in the binary star system known as 'Zeta Reticuli' comprising of Zeta Reticuli and Zeta 2 Reticuli. LV426 is the nearest planetary body to a gas giant and LV223 is the second nearest around the star Zeta 2 Reticuli.

According to The Weyland Timeline LV426 is just outside Zeta 2 Reticuli system. Zeta Reticuli is the Bayer designation for a wide binary star system in the southern constellation of Reticulum 39.17 light years from Earth. A binary star is a star system consisting of two stars orbiting around their common center of mass. The brighter star is called the primary and the other is its companion star or secondary. LV426 is named 'Acheron' in an early draft of the script Alien. Notably Fiorina 'Fury' 161 was called 'Aceron' in an early draft for Alien 3. As of 2010 it is understood that the stars are only orbited by a circumstellar debris disk. Although LV426 and LV223 are around separate Gas Giants with about 1/7 of the diameter, LV426 is quoted as having a diameter of 1200kms (LV426 in an early Alien script was quoted as having a diameter of 120km) this would make the Gas Giant have a diameter of 8400kms, making it much smaller then Earth (12700kms), the same can be suggested for LV223.

DISCOVERY OF ACHERON LV-426, MAY 14, 2039

Weyland astronomers discover multiple moons and a ringed planet just outside the Zeta 2 Reticula System, which are possibly able to support life. Weyland expects to travel there within the century.

QUESTION: What mods would people suggest utilising to get this working well with KSP? Should I use Kopernicus for the planetary system design?

Step 2: Universe Realism

There has to be a certain harshness to this version of the Kerbal Universe, after all the original Ridley and Cameron interpretations of the Aliens Universe is a harsh and unforgiving space. Bearing that in mind I think I need to also consider the following:

• Communications: Communications and their affiliated problems is an ever present worry in the Aliens Universe, not to mention signal delays across massive spans. With this in mind I think that making communications satellites, signal relay stations and comsats a requirement would be a brilliant way of not only engaging with the environment more but also allowing us to explore some of the canon Aliens stories published by Dark Horse Comics.
    • RemoteTech2
  • Survival: Survival is hard and space is the harshest partner in the universe. No oxygen, little to no usable water and no gravity make life hard. So with this in mind I think we will need to explore full life support and cryogenics/stasis systems for Kerbals. After all, in both Prometheus and Aliens our irstwhile explorers awake from cryogenic sleep prior to their adventures. This is important and helps to add to the realism to the game and it's missions.
    • TAC Life Support
    • DeepFreeze Continued
    • Kerbal Alarm Clock

Any additional suggestions?

There's other nice "Hardcore" and unforgiving mod which turn space from a playground into a merciless, unforgiving, colder than a witch's bird, hellzone.

Orbital Decay by Whitecat106, Deadly Reentry by Starwaster, 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.