[KSP 1.3.1] KEI - Kerbin Environmental Institute(1.2.3) 2017-10-11

RealGecko

What Deimos Rast said - you're writing them faster than I can give them a test run!

A suggestion - if you add the version and date of last change to the thread header it would make it easier to tell when a mod gets updated.

Thanks for sharing these.

Came here to report the repeating 0.0 science notes 'bug/feature', but you already scored it in the 0.2 version! Kudos, and i'm enjoying the mod a lot, it's a nice 'small touch' that i'll have on my must-haves going forward!

@RealGecko I've noticed something I want to bring to your attention, and I don't really think its a bug, per se, but I play with Kerbal Construction Time, and it gives you the ability to construct additional launch pads and switch between them. they can be at different upgrade levels, and switching between them triggers science log spam for 0 science.

QKUJlmu.jpg

It's not massively horrible, and I can live with it, but I do get a slight performance hit with it constantly rolling, so I thought I'd mention it.

6 hours ago, vardicd said:

@RealGecko I've noticed something I want to bring to your attention, and I don't really think its a bug, per se, but I play with Kerbal Construction Time, and it gives you the ability to construct additional launch pads and switch between them. they can be at different upgrade levels, and switching between them triggers science log spam for 0 science.

QKUJlmu.jpg

It's not massively horrible, and I can live with it, but I do get a slight performance hit with it constantly rolling, so I thought I'd mention it.

@RealGecko, I think I got the same problem, but I think it comes from Strategies, since I also have the Local Science strategy activated. The stream is not endless, but it can take a while to end, specially if you use it on an old save, like mine...

My problem is: I got 18000 science points! I think KEI considered science points form experiments that don't work landed, like StationScience...

4 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

@RealGecko, I think I got the same problem, but I think it comes from Strategies, since I also have the Local Science strategy activated. The stream is not endless, but it can take a while to end, specially if you use it on an old save, like mine...

My problem is: I got 18000 science points! I think KEI considered science points form experiments that don't work landed, like StationScience...

try combining it with the mod KSPCasher! When you start the game, the money you get from all the initial science this mod gives you is worth $49 million cool ones.:o

--

And @RealGecko I would second (third?) having you take a look (when ever you have a moment) at Kerbal Construction Time. Your mod works with it, but it gives you the science points when you click the Upgrade button, not when the building actually is finished upgrading (since things take a while to build in KCT). I'm not sure, but it seems like it might trigger again when they complete, but at zero science.

The "Local Science Boost" mentioned a few times from the mod Strategia, linked below. There are a few variations of it, variously boosting Kerbin Science and KSC science, and both. Having a "Local Science Boost" + KEI seems a bit much (since you are outsourcing the leg work), but that might be outside the realm of your responsibilities.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

try combining it with the mod KSPCasher!

I did not try KSPCasher, but as far as I can remember activating Strategia strategies requires some serious investments, especially the level 3 ones. But nevertheless IMO some of them are really out of balance.

5 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

it gives you the science points when you click the Upgrade button

Yep it is triggered when GameEvent.OnKSCFacilityUpgraded is fired, I bet that Kerbal Construction Time is bound to that event too and somehow delays actual upgrade. Need to investigate that.

10 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

I think KEI considered science points form experiments that don't work landed, like StationScience

I'll check that out, that might be an issue.

Anyway, KEI is disabled by default now and you can enable and disable it anytime you want.

12 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

I think KEI considered science points form experiments that don't work landed, like StationScience

Yep, you're right, I've checked it. The funniest thing is that it is ok for Dmagic Orbital Science

The only problem I've encountered with KEI is that it performed bathymetry scan at KSC "biomes" :D

I think I'll add Station Science to some kind of "blacklist", so no experiments will be performed from it at all.

Are there any more mods that add space specific experiments?

I've came to an idea that will make user experience of this mod much more sane: I'll add an interface where user will be able to see what experiments are available and perform 'em if desired. But that will require some work, so some time is needed.

2 hours ago, RealGecko said:

I've came to an idea that will make user experience of this mod much more sane: I'll add an interface where user will be able to see what experiments are available and perform 'em if desired. But that will require some work, so some time is needed.

Not to bother you, but seen that you're thinking to include this WONDERFUL idea in your mod, why limit it to the Space Center? It would be difficult/hard/boring doing it works everywhere?

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

Not to bother you, but seen that you're thinking to include this WONDERFUL idea in your mod, why limit it to the Space Center? It would be difficult/hard/boring doing it works everywhere?

As I already said earlier:

On 10.07.2016 at 6:50 PM, RealGecko said:

Initially I thought that KEI would cover whole Kerbin and of course not for free.

But then I decided to stop at the KSC and make it free.

Now I think, that I'll resurrect the initial idea and I even have plans of how it will look. But that will not happen soon, as it'll require definitely more time for developing and testing :D

Got another experiment pack that throws science to the player where it shouldn't with this mod:

As an example:

TO5Gn15.jpg

Requires a planet or moon with no atmosphere.

TFQsJy6.jpg

heh, Oops. there's a thousand extra science points thanks to Strategia's Local science 3. ;P

I haven't had a chance to load up KSP in a while, but someone should check how MOLE interacts with this mod.  (It has a similar system to Station Science, where results are only available after a time period.)

(In fact, I might suggest to put it on an exemption list preemptively - it's science experiments are designed to take time after all, and most/all aren't designed for running around the space center.)

51 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

There is never too much science :D

Edited the OP to warn newcomers :D

Why not include only STOCK experiments (except the bathymetry, of course!)? I know there are other experiments from mods, but those who are in need of science points generally have only stock experiments available... :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

Why not include only STOCK experiments (except the bathymetry, of course!)? I know there are other experiments from mods, but those who are in need of science points generally have only stock experiments available... :rolleyes:

Cause I iterate through unlocked parts and get their ModuleScienceExperiments, that's the general way of detecting some part has some experiment, and there's no way of detecting if it is a stock experiment or mod added. Of course I can just hardcode the list of stock experiments, but I personally use Science Revisited Revisited that adds some interesting experiments I don't wanna miss.