A question about legal stuff

CAKE99

(This is not about a "serious" legal issue)

A while ago I made a sign saying:

"By entering this room, you agree to do the following:

1: [stuff]

2: Pay [My IRL name] U.S. $50,"

And I put it on my bedroom door, would someone who agreed to that (by entering the room) be legally required to pay me U.S. $50?

And if not, are there any changes I could make to have someone who agreed (by entering the room) be legally required to pay me U.S. $50?

When you say 'my room', is it really your room? Do you own it?

Do you rent it / lease it, and is that in writing? If you do, does your contract allow subletting?... if not, you have no right, and could face penalties by law (depending on where you live). If your contract does, then there are other legalities to consider, like if it's considered 'public space', taxation (are you running a business), etc.

If this room is attached to (say) your parents house, and you are considered legally 'a minor' (depending on where you live); then no, you have no rights, none what so ever... clean your room, do your homework, and do as mom and/or dad tells you - when they tell you. You'll be better off for it in the long run. :wink:

5 hours ago, CAKE99 said:

(This is not about a "serious" legal issue)

A while ago I made a sign saying:

"By entering this room, you agree to do the following:

1: [stuff]

2: Pay [My IRL name] U.S. $50,"

And I put it on my bedroom door, would someone who agreed to that (by entering the room) be legally required to pay me U.S. $50?

And if not, are there any changes I could make to have someone who agreed (by entering the room) be legally required to pay me U.S. $50?

What exactly is your plan if whoever controls the hallway does the same in reverse, but always asks 200% of what you ask?

10 hours ago, LordFerret said:

When you say 'my room', is it really your room? Do you own it?

Do you rent it / lease it, and is that in writing? If you do, does your contract allow subletting?... if not, you have no right, and could face penalties by law (depending on where you live). If your contract does, then there are other legalities to consider, like if it's considered 'public space', taxation (are you running a business), etc.

If this room is attached to (say) your parents house, and you are considered legally 'a minor' (depending on where you live); then no, you have no rights, none what so ever... clean your room, do your homework, and do as mom and/or dad tells you - when they tell you. You'll be better off for it in the long run. :wink:

I'm under 18, so I live in my Parents house, (in Australia).

8 hours ago, Camacha said:

What exactly is your plan if whoever controls the hallway does the same in reverse, but always asks 200% of what you ask?

I won't use the hallway :D

Pretty sure the govrrnment wont recognize your sign there as you do not own the space as well as not old enough to actually legally own the place.

However, your parents are effectively the local government of the house. You can negotiate with them the terms and conditions regarding the entry of your room. If successful, they may also be the enforcer of your rules if other people, like siblings if you have any, disregard it.

No one has mentioned this yet, so I'll explain in a little more detail.

The house you live in is not public space, but it is private land... your parents own it (unless they rent, in which case they still have legal claim on it)

Now... here is where it gets complicated.... the hallway is not public space... but, as far as your family is concerned, its legally a public access way, so you can legally open your door and go to the kitchen without being legally, or illegally impeded.Now, unless you pay rent or board, your door does not belong to you, even if you did pay rent or board, the door is a legal access point, so again, you cannot charge for it...

Now we come to the room... if you pay board or rent... and you have this sign on your door... then your parents could argue that you are using the room as a business.... and evict you, or charge you commercial rates... if you don't pay board or rent.. then you cannot charge to enter the room, but you can deny your permission for anyone to enter (under the privacy laws most nations have) ... but as they are the ones freely allowing you the use of their room... this is what I'd say to you...

...Suck it up Princess... find a legitimate way top make money and stop being a Nigerian scammer... :):):):):)

Bloody Aussies.... us Kiwi's often wonder about you guys... like the Aussie school that banned their kids from clapping.... so as not to annoy the few people with hyper hearing.... :)

9 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Pretty sure the govrrnment wont recognize your sign there as you do not own the space as well as not old enough to actually legally own the place.

However, your parents are effectively the local government of the house. You can negotiate with them the terms and conditions regarding the entry of your room. If successful, they may also be the enforcer of your rules if other people, like siblings if you have any, disregard it.

Even if you owned the house and land you would have to demand the money on entrance or demand that people leave.
Many nightclubs demand an entrance fee who is an non issue, however if the bouncer is away for an extended time so you could just walk in he could not demand money then you leave.
He could however ask you to pay or leave, this is common practice as many places has free entrance up to some time. 
Same goes for most other types of arrangements. Say you rent an park for an event, park is normally free so you have to ask people to pay or leave you could not just close the gate and demand that everybody pay on exit even if not interested in the event. 

Transport is an exception here, say you enter an train or boat you then have to pay the ticket, same is you sneaked in some place like climbing an fence. 

Legally, you can put that sign there. But that doesn't mean that anyone has to follow it, unless you sue them for it.

And let's be honest, you're not going to sue over $50 USD. If you did, though, I guess you'd get your answer.

36 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Legally, you can put that sign there.

I'm not sure about that.  Posting a sign on property that he does not own without the consent of the owner could be considered vandalism.

4 hours ago, razark said:

I'm not sure about that.  Posting a sign on property that he does not own without the consent of the owner could be considered vandalism.

Not according to Black's Law Dictionary, I think:

http://thelawdictionary.org/vandalism/

If it was intended to be a permanent modification, then he or she might run into some trouble. I think that in this instance, though, it's just a piece of paper.

Also, no judge would reasonably rule against a teenager putting a sign on their room's door.

31 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Also, no judge would reasonably rule against a teenager putting a sign on their room's door.

You mean no judge would reasonably rule for a teen trying to be clever in one of the least legally substantiated ways imaginable?

Perhaps vandalism is not the correct term.

(Although, the tape or other adhesive could cause unintentional damage to the wall it is posted on.)

36 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

That is almost certainly so, but it does not change the technical legality of the act.

2 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

Printed on the front of an envelope "Congratulations, you have won 5 million dollars... details inside..."

On the back of the envelope were these words....

"Null and void if opened!"

Deceptive advertising.

4 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Not according to Black's Law Dictionary, I think:

http://thelawdictionary.org/vandalism/

If it was intended to be a permanent modification, then he or she might run into some trouble. I think that in this instance, though, it's just a piece of paper.

The sign is paper.

3 hours ago, razark said:

Perhaps vandalism is not the correct term.

(Although, the tape or other adhesive could cause unintentional damage to the wall it is posted on.)

That is almost certainly so, but it does not change the technical legality of the act.

It's taped to a metal shelf, the shelf has no paint.

2 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Solution: Sue your parents for divorce and claim your room for yourself.  Use the window for ingress/egress.  Profit.

You can't do that because you aren't married to them. The closest you could do would be to seek legal emancipation (or whatever the equivalent in Australia is) but you have to be 16 or older (in the USA) to do that. If you did that you wouldn't have any claim on the room, and your parents could legally kick you out if you didn't pay rent. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.