HUGE Dres Awareness Mission :D

KAL 9000

-Story - Part 8-

The other modules had landed by the ISRU unit, its radio beacon providing guidance for the new modules. The Skycranes huddled in a corner next to the new base, playing Go Fish. 

"Got any boosters?" one radioed another.

"Go Fish."

The Science Module yelled over the radio channel, "Do you mind being quieter? We're actually doing work over here!" 

Meanwhile, Dres Lander 01 was undocking from the max_creative, Jeb and Bill in the Mk. 2 lander can. It backed up to a safe distance and fired its engines for the deorbit burn. A short time later, it was descending towards the Dresian surface, pilot and engineer frantically working the controls.

"Jeb, activate TVC, lock heading to retrograde."

"Bill, I don't need no [CENSORED] procedure! I'm Jebediah Kerman! We're doing a suicide burn!"

"Jeb. No."

"Lalalalala not listening!"

At the last possible second, the lander's engines roared to life, bringing it to a stop just above the surface.

"Aaaand... Touchdown!"

-Story - Part 9- 

Val and Bob landed safely as well, and Bill linked all the modules (except for the rover) together with KAS pipes. Work began, Ore was extracted and processed, and the crew is going on the first science expedition of the mission, to the Dres Canyon.

"All aboard the Karibou!"

The Karibou rover rolled away from the base and set out for the Dres Canyon. A few days in, they crossed into a new biome, where they stopped so Bob could take readings. After that, they moved on, arriving at the Dres Canyon about a Kerbal week after setting out.

(A Kerbal week is one Mun orbit, and a Kerbal month is one Minmus orbit.) 

"Look at that! It's huge. Even bigger than the Grand Canyon on Earth that KAL told us about!"

(The fourth wall is long dead.) 

"Okay, the Canyon walls are really steep. Let's figure out how to get down."

"Hey, the Karibou VTOL engines still have a little fuel left! We might be able to use them to descend the Canyon!"

"Oh yeah! Power the engines up." 

The Karibou rover successfully touched down at the bottom of the Canyon, and science was taken. After staying for a few days, the Karibou powered up its engines once more and flew to the top of the Canyon. 2 days later, on the way back to the base, the Karibou's sensors detected some sort of anomaly. They changed course to investigate, and when they arrived, saw something really, really weird. 

It was a munolith, but not like any of the Munoliths they had found on other planets. It was huge, probably as tall as the max_creative was long, but still kept the same 1:4:9 ratio of side lengths. The familiar monkey face and SQUAD engravings were completely missing... In their place was strange alien writing, unknown to human or Kerbal. And above the unknown symbols was a Kraken. 

"Guys, this is KAL. I'd just like to tell you this isn't in KSP's code."

(Basically, the Kerbals are actually in a different solar system, but KSP has the same bodies and stuff as the actual system. In KSP, you're actually interacting with the "real" Kerbals over Skype (basically), and mods basically give your Kerbals new blueprints. At least, that's my fanfic.) 

"Then why is it here? We know KSP reflects the real Kerbol system." 

"I don't know... It's weird, and why is there a Kraken image and weird alien writing?" 

"Analyze it, please."

"It's made of the same material as the other Munoliths. Namely, we have no idea what either are made out of." 

"Okay, scan for any other anomalies."

"We found another one, 5 kilometers due north."

"Set up a measuring station here and go to the new anomaly."

"Okay."

Edited by KAL 9000

11 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

-Story - Part 8-

The other modules had landed by the ISRU unit, its radio beacon providing guidance for the new modules. The Skycranes huddled in a corner next to the new base, playing Go Fish. 

"Got any boosters?" one radioed another.

"Go Fish."

The Science Module yelled over the radio channel, "Do you mind being quieter? We're actually doing work over here!" 

Meanwhile, Dres Lander 01 was undocking from the max_creative, Jeb and Bill in the Mk. 2 lander can. It backed up to a safe distance and fired its engines for the deorbit burn. A short time later, it was descending towards the Dresian surface, pilot and engineer frantically working the controls.

"Jeb, activate TVC, lock heading to retrograde."

"Bill, I don't need no [CENSORED] procedure! I'm Jebediah Kerman! We're doing a suicide burn!"

"Jeb. No."

"Lalalalala not listening!"

At the last possible second, the lander's engines roared to life, bringing it to a stop just above the surface.

"Aaaand... Touchdown!"

Pure Jeb .:D

7 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

"I don't know... It's weird, and why is there a Kraken image and weird alien writing?" 

"Analyze it, please."

Something bad will happen. If you seen a picture of a kraken it either means: 

1. kraken warning 
  2. danger 
  3. glitch warning 
  4. bugs ahead 
  5. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN 
  6. a new sushi restaurant just had their grand opening and they're advertising! 
7 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

"Look at that! It's huge. Even bigger than the Grand Canyon on Earth that KAL told us about!"

(The fourth wall is long dead.) 

Jeb: Um... 

*explosion in distance* 

Jeb: Uh... I may have just killed the second wall and also a few of the props... 

Bill: DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I SPENT TRYING TO MAKE THAT HUGE PLANE FLY?!? 

Jeb: Uh, no... I meant like the huge jet fuel tanks by the spaceplane hanger... 

Bill: WHAT?!? 

*bigger explosion in distance* 

Edited by max_creative
That's going to be my excuse for destroying the spaceplane hanger with a supersonic jet...

-Story - Part 10- 

Meanwhile, on the hibernating max_creative... 

MechJeb-Beginning Auto-Systems-Check... Beginning... 

WARNING - MULTIPLE FAILURES DETECTED ON MAIN REACTOR 

Attempting to perform emergency shutdown... Controls nonresponsive! 

MELTDOWN IN PROGRESS - CODE RED - CODE RED - NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IMMIN-

[SIGNAL LOST]

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

-Story - Part 10- 

Meanwhile, on the hibernating max_creative... 

MechJeb-Beginning Auto-Systems-Check... Beginning... 

WARNING - MULTIPLE FAILURES DETECTED ON MAIN REACTOR 

Attempting to perform emergency shutdown... Controls nonresponsive! 

MELTDOWN IN PROGRESS - CODE RED - CODE RED - NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IMMIN-

[SIGNAL LOST]

What happened. Jeb! -_-

Highlights from the press conference about the situation:

Gene: "I hope the crew's okay!"

Werhner: "I hope ze crew's ZIENCE is okay!"

Mortimer: "I hope the ship is okay! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY FUNDS IT COST?!?!"

No screenshots went up this weekend due to us losing contact. However, we believe the crew is okay, as they were on the surface of Dres when the accident happened.

-Story - Part 11- 

"Kaptin, sensor readings indicate a large explosion occurred onboard the max_creative. We've lost contact with it and KSC."

"Roger, Bob. All crew: Red Alert! Get back to the rover immediately! Repeat: All crew: Red Alert! Get back to the rover immediately!" 

Jeb, Val, and Bill scrambled to the Karibou, having left it to stargaze when the rover stopped for the Dresian night. The Karibou fired up its wheels and drove back to base as fast as possible. Both landers took off, with Jeb and Val in one and Bill and Bob in the other. 

"Lander 2, this is Lander 1, stay in orbit. We'll investigate the max_crative."

"Roger, staying in a 25 km parking orbit. Good luck."

Lander 1 approached where the max_creative should be.

"Val, we should be in visual range. Begin a scan."

"Jeb, sensors are picking up a large debris field. We are picking up a faint signal from the max_creative's emergency distress beacon."

As the lander closed in on the beacon signal, Jeb and Val saw the central portion of the max_creative, spinning wildly on all three axes. Jeb looked at the wreck and saw an open, undamaged docking port. Smiling, he set it as the ship's computer's target. 

"Jeb's what are you doing?"

"Docking."

"That's impossible!"

"No. It's necessary. Computer?"

"Sir?"

"Play 'No Time For Caution' on the lander's internal speakers."

"Yes sir." 

Jeb hummed to the tune and matched rotation with the wreck, guiding the lander's docking port to the undamaged port.

"Contact! Computer, SAS on stability assist, RCS on."

"Yes sir!"

-Story - Part 12- 

Bill and Bob had joined them at the wreck, and the crew was having a meeting in what was left of the bridge. Luckily, MechJeb's computer core had survived the explosion. 

"Okay, team, the most important thing right now is to contact the KSC. Bill, can you give us a report on your antenna salvaging mission?" 

"Yes, I can, Jeb. I found the max_creative's main antenna-"

A sudden rush of questions peppered Bill.

"-Wait. I'm not done. As I was saying, I found the max_creative's main antenna, but it's not operational. It's its own little piece of debris, not connected to anything, so it doesn't have power. I can hook it back up to power, but a lot of components are broken. I can fix all of them except for the AE-35 unit, which is completely busted. I just hope we can find a spare in either the wreckage or any of the craft on Dres." 

"Bob, can you give us your report on the investigation of the new Munolith?"

"Yes. Me and MechJeb have made progress, but without R&D helping out from Kerbin, it'll take longer than usual, and we seem to have hit a wall. I think we need data from that other anomaly to continue." 

"Val, you're temporarily on getting our life support back online. Can you give us the data?" 

"Well, the landers and the surface base still have oxygen and water recyclers working, so we're good there. Same with environmental control, and the backup RTGs are providing enough power for life support. The snack kitchen on the max_creative is intact, so we can make snacks from crops, and so is the mulched, so we can make fertilizer out of... well, you know. Hydroponics isn't attached to the part of the ship that we're in like it's supposed to be, so we need to be on a lookout for it in the debris field. Without hydroponics, we have enough stored crops and snacks to last us... 103 days."

"But the next Dres to Kerbin transfer window doesn't even happen for 120 days!"

"Which is why we need to find it. Plus, we can't fly back to LKO in a derelict. We need to fix the ship up."

"Okay, this adjourns the meeting. Priorities are finding an AE-35 unit and hydroponics, and getting data from the other anomaly." 

-Story - Part 13- 

--At the KSC-- 

"Gene, alzough ze max_creative vas destroyed, ve have reason to believe ze crew survived, as zey vere on Dres ven ze incident happened." 

"Can we prepare a rescue mission, Werhner?"

"Of course, Gene. Valt and Gus are verking on it, as KAL is busy."

The BFR (Big Freaking Rocket) - 001 stood proudly on the launch pad, the Boss V engine cluster donated by Behemoth Aerospace powering up for launch. 

"T-1 minute. Guidance?"

"Go."

"EECOM?"

"Go."

"CAPCOM?"

"Go." 

"Crew?"

Both Milfred and Jonbal, in the rescue ship's cockpit, yelled "Go!" over the intercom, eager to rescue their friends. 

"FIDO?"

"Go." 

"Trajectory?"

"Go."

"Bobak?"

"Go, sir." 

"Flight? Go. All systems are GO for launch, T-15."

"14."

"13."

"12."

"11."

"10."

"9."

"8."

"7. Main engine start."

The Boss V kicked on, flames spewing out the launch pad trench.

"6."

"5."

"4."

"3."

"2."

"1."

"Booster Ignition." 

The mighty 5-meter wide SRBs roared a mighty roar as the launch clamps decoupled and the ship inched upward, slowly at first, but going faster and faster. 

"The imaginary tower has been cleared!"

Things went smoothly with the launch at first, but an engineer [me] had made a mistake in the kOS launch script, and the boosters decoupled too early. With plenty of fuel left, they came barreling towards the BFR-001. 

"Milfred! Jonbal! Abort NOW! Activate LES! Eject!" 

Worried, Jonbal hit the big red button marked ABORT just in time, and the capsule decoupled, the LES firing to get it away from the doomed rocket.

As Gene filed the mission debriefing report, he stamped FAILURE on the paperwork and added "No crew lost". The rocket would cost more than a million funds to replace, but at least no one died.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.