HUGE Dres Awareness Mission :D

KAL 9000

19 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

what exactly is a caribou rover? Is it possible to build 1 for Kerbin as well??

Karibou. It's a mod that adds parts for exploration rovers, and I meant that I was building the rover with that mod. So, yeah, you could build one for Kerbin. Also, I'm back! 

This thread went completely off the rails and has been radically pruned.

People, please don't derail folks' threads.  @KAL 9000 has a perfectly nice, friendly thread about his mission to Dres, posted in the correct forum for that sort of thing.  If you want to cheer him on, or ask questions about progress, or talk about potential spacecraft design, or anything else that's actually related to the mission report, feel free.  However, off-topic (and borderline role-playing) posts about "Dres is real", "no it's not", Dres-lovers, Dres-haters, Dres-truthers, or any of the rest of that silliness has no place in this thread, because this thread is not about that.

Please respect the OP (and the forum rules) by staying on-topic.  If you want to wage a friendly back-and-forth repartee over the "reality" of Dres, there's already a thread for that over in Forum Games; please take it there, this is not the place for it.

One last reminder:  Aside from the off-topic shenanigans in this thread, there were also several cases of people complaining about what other people are doing to the thread, and asking them to stop it.  Please don't do that.  It's considered "backseat moderating", is specifically against the forum rules (see rule 3.2), and we take it very seriously.  If you see someone doing something in a forum thread that you believe is inappropriate and needs to stop, please don't post about it in the thread-- instead, just report the post and let the moderator team take care of anything that needs taking care of.  It's what we're for.

Thank you for your understanding.  Re-opening this thread now.  I trust that everyone can play nice, like adults.  Further off-topic posts will be dealt with more harshly, so please be more careful in the future.  Thank you for your understanding, and please don't make me regret not locking this thread.

6 hours ago, Snark said:

One last reminder:  Aside from the off-topic shenanigans in this thread, there were also several cases of people complaining about what other people are doing to the thread, and asking them to stop it.  Please don't do that.  It's considered "backseat moderating", is specifically against the forum rules (see rule 3.2), and we take it very seriously.  If you see someone doing something in a forum thread that you believe is inappropriate and needs to stop, please don't post about it in the thread-- instead, just report the post and let the moderator team take care of anything that needs taking care of.  It's what we're for.

Sorry... :sealed:

Something went wrong (and it wasn't Jeb's fault!)

-Story - Part 4-

"This is Bill, checking in for launch."

"Roger, beginning systems check on Arrow SSTO."

"Guidance?"

"Go."

"EECOM?"

"Go."

"Power?"

"Go."

"Engines?"

"Go."

"LOL?"

"Go."

"ROTFL?"

"Go."

"DANK-MEMES?"

"Go."

"NYAN-CAT?"

"Go."

"All systems go for launch. Arrow, tower has granted you clearance, please proceed to Runway 09."

"We only have Runway 09."

"Oh, yeah. You're go for takeoff."

"Roger, T Minus 3...2...1... T! Z! Space!"

"Roger!"

"All CR-7 RAPIERs on air-breathing mode, holding S."

"Roger."

"Takeoff! Altitude is gaining!"

--5 minutes later--

"Coming up on the 15 km mark."

"Roger, Arrow."

"Engine 4 failure! I'm losing power to right engines!"

--The Arrow has 6 engines, 3 CR-7 RAPIERs on each wing. Left engines are 1, 2, and 3, and right engines are 4, 5, and 6--

"Engine 6 failure! Engine 5 failure!"

"Right wing breaking up!"

"Breaking up!? Kraken!"

"Language, Gene!"

"I'm losing control!"

"Bill, you are authorized to eject!"

"Roger, ejecting now!"

--I have EVA parachutes installed--

"My parachute is open!"

"Arrow is going down... And it's hit the water. There goes 500,000 roots..."

Mortimer: "Aaaaah! Mommy!"

"I'm at 10 meters... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... Bleh! I swallowed some seawater! Activating suit life jacket!"

"Roger, Bill, the KSS Rockomax is on the way to pick you up."

"This is the captain of the KSS Rockomax, launching recovery VTOL."

"Bill, activate your suit's transponder beacon! The recovery VTOL is on the way!"

"We see him! Bill, grab the rope and attach the clip to your suit!"

"Done!"

"We're bringing you up."

--Later, at the KSC--

"What happened, Bill?"

"Structural failure on the right Big-S Delta Wing. The failure broke off fuel flow to the engines and caused the wing to come apart."

"Hello? WinterOwl Aircraft Emporium? Yes, one of your parts failed, which intern built the Big-S Delta Wing? Jodovey? Fire him, please."

Edited by KAL 9000

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

@KAL 9000, Kron 6 is crossing the orbit of Dres now.

Roger, looks like the Dres mission won't make it in time, but the SCANsat I sent before I had this idea has been reprogrammed to find a good landing spot, and it detects Kron 6 on radar. Deviation from expected course: 134km at Plock arrival, measurement error +- 150km at Plock arrival. So, deviation is within measuring error, so it's probably on course. Will check again at Jool.

Screenshots will actually come up every Saturday. However, progress is happening! The KSS max_creative actually has all segments in LKO, but the screenshots didn't save. I did take a very nice pic of it in orbit yesterday, though. That saved and will be coming up on Saturday. (Side Note: I figured out the issue with the screenshots sometimes saving and sometimes not, from now on all screenshots will be saved). Bill launched in a rocket, which is not breaking the SSTO rule because the pod he's in will not be going to Dres. He didn't want to try an SSTO again after the Arrow failure :wink:.

On August 29, 2016 at 8:09 AM, KAL 9000 said:

"DANK-MEMES?"

"Go."

"NYAN-CAT?"

"Go."

When you get the pictures, I will make some extremely Dank Nyan Cat Memes with them! I blame Jeb. I bet he gave the Nyan Cat a Wrench to take it apart! 

21 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Screenshots will actually come up every Saturday. However, progress is happening! The KSS max_creative actually has all segments in LKO, but the screenshots didn't save. I did take a very nice pic of it in orbit yesterday, though. That saved and will be coming up on Saturday.

Oh... And the KSS KAL 9000 prototype #12 is... Uh... A bunch of debris next to the pad.... :blush: Plus Imgur is still making my story really hard to make.

Also, #3 fell over on the pad. #8 randomly exploded. #10 actually made it suborbital, but then I realized I forgot both the crew and the RTGs, and the probe core died and I watched it fall into the ocean... 

Currently, I'm trying to drag it to orbit backwards using huge vector clusters. Which isn't working the best... Any advice?

21 hours ago, max_creative said:

When you get the pictures, I will make some extremely Dank Nyan Cat Memes with them! I blame Jeb. I bet he gave the Nyan Cat a Wrench to take it apart! 

Oh... And the KSS KAL 9000 prototype #12 is... Uh... A bunch of debris next to the pad.... :blush: Plus Imgur is still making my story really hard to make.

Also, #3 fell over on the pad. #8 randomly exploded. #10 actually made it suborbital, but then I realized I forgot both the crew and the RTGs, and the probe core died and I watched it fall into the ocean... 

Currently, I'm trying to drag it to orbit backwards using huge vector clusters. Which isn't working the best... Any advice?

Bass-ackwards lifters? You should talk to @Geschosskopf Yes, I spelled it right! Also, I'm now OVER 9000 500 posts! Bill has done the KAS work on the ship and is currently exploring the spacious accommodations in the ship. And eating Jeb's ration snacks. Oh, Kraken, Jeb's not gonna be happy once he, Bob, and Val come up...

--Jeb is looking over my shoulder at one of the KSC computers--

"NO SNACKS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

8 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Bill has done the KAS work on the ship and is currently exploring the spacious accommodations in the ship. And eating Jeb's ration snacks. Oh, Kraken, Jeb's not gonna be happy once he, Bob, and Val come up...

--Jeb is looking over my shoulder at one of the KSC computers--

"NO SNACKS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Me: Don't worry Jeb! I have more! Right inside the big rover over th- BOOM!!! Oh... 

Bill: Oops! Launch clamps in the wrong stage! Did you guys need that rover? 

Jeb: NOOO!!! (Plus 10,000 moar Os and 200 moar exclamation points.) 

Bob: Do you want the potatos I grew in the lab? I'm doing tests for a new mobile Duna base.

20 hours ago, max_creative said:

Me: Don't worry Jeb! I have more! Right inside the big rover over th- BOOM!!! Oh... 

Bill: Oops! Launch clamps in the wrong stage! Did you guys need that rover? 

Jeb: NOOO!!! (Plus 10,000 moar Os and 200 moar exclamation points.) 

Bob: Do you want the potatos I grew in the lab? I'm doing tests for a new mobile Duna base.

Bill attached the struts, but Jeb won't let him inside the airlock... :D

Well, since the ship is in orbit and modules are coming up, let's check on the crew, shall we?

-Story - Part 5-

Bill floated into Main Engineering to start powering up the ship. He reached for the "BEGIN BOOTUP SEQUENCE" button, but accidentally pressed "BEGIN SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE". A computer screen flashed out "Confirm Self-Destruct Sequence? Y/N", and Bill hurriedly typed in "N". The screen flashed "Self-Destruct Sequence Disarmed", and he breathed a sigh of relief. He pressed BEGIN BOOTUP SEQUENCE, then flicked the switches for all the solar panels from closed to open, doing the same for the radiators. Then, he flicked the switch for the main reactor from OFF to ON and flicked the switches for nuclear fuel and coolant to go to the reactor. He activated automatic temperature regulation for the reactor, and deployed the artificial gravity module and activated the spin. He finally activated the scrubbers, water reclaimers and greenhouses.

On September 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM, lajoswinkler said:

Wow, that ship looks massive. I like how the radiators are way back.

Not bigger than Kron 6 :wink:! The radiators are in back because the reactor is in the back, because the crew modules are in the front and the reactor should be as far away as possible from them.

Edited by KAL 9000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.