What's going to happen to the Rocket Part Revamp?

Temeter

11 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

I am just so terribly confused?  Does anyone have any answers?  Why the mass exodus followed by promises of future work.  Are they stonewalling or telling the truth?  Why would all the devs leave at once, especially since many of them are mission critical?  I have lots of questions does anyone have answers?  I leave to play Minecraft with my daughter for a few months and come back to this.

Even basic privacy can stop Squad them from telling why the devs left. Squad should never talk about their ex-devs motivations without their consent.

Basically, we got very good reason as to why they won't/can't further comment. Some people try to make crazy drama out of this, including our old friend Damyon, but that's besides the point.

If you haven checked the new prerelease yet, devs aren't necessarily critical to the game, 1.2 is incredibly polished and KSP is the first time in a state where it's probably done. So if people wanted to leave, this would probably be the point to do that. Additionally, Squad did hire new internal devs.

That's not to say things aren't weird, especially since we knew Porkie was working on new shaders and parts for the game: The optical revamp we were promised since quite some time. Yet he did leave for some reason.

Edited by Temeter

In my opinion, it's kind of a shame that the rocket part revamp will probably not be implemented, since these parts looked good.

But then again, maybe they could be finished, released as a mod and perhaps still added to the game.

3 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

Been here longer than you I am afraid.

Was just a bit of a joke. Noting that they almost never respond directly to community objections regarding business decisions.

Nestor did comment comment on what's up with Porkjet: Porkie already left a few weeks ago because he went to a new job. I hope someone else picks it up!

@Porkjet Shame we don't get to see more of your talented work in KSP, but good luck in your future endeavours! :D

If i remember correctly, there was design sheet with regarding the planned revamp included in the download. It had diagrams of ALL the engines, including a few new ones, done up in the new style. It also mentioned a possible stock meshswitcher that would allow for the engines to switch between up to 3 variants: standard (engine attached to a ring of standard size, such as 1.25 or 2.5m), boattail (standard variant with an aerodynamic cover over the engine), and compact (engine mounted on as small a ring as possible, with the same feature as the Vector: rotate the engine up to 10 degrees and it will still be flush with the surface it is attached to). I also think all of the engines were/are going to be radially attachable. 

22 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Well they have 3 devs left, one of which is the community manager. Like it or not but you need a team of devs for this kind of thing. At the very least it will be delayed by many months.

Not only that, you don't need just a dev, you need one who is a raging maniac when it comes to making mods. The type that would be doing it, after coding straight for eight hours per day for squad, would be modding on freakin' twitch just for fun. As if they'd have that kind of dev left on they payro... ooooh. Never mind.

6 hours ago, Temeter said:

If you haven checked the new prerelease yet, devs aren't necessarily critical to the game, 1.2 is incredibly polished and KSP is the first time in a state where it's probably done. So if people wanted to leave, this would probably be the point to do that. Additionally, Squad did hire new internal devs.

That's not to say things aren't weird, especially since we knew Porkie was working on new shaders and parts for the game: The optical revamp we were promised since quite some time. Yet he did leave for some reason.

I am sure my real concerns are mostly selfish.  I am not sure the loss of second lead Dev in as many months is not a bad sign or that guys like Porkjet were not mission critical.

In any case, as you mentioned there are some promised features that I am very concerned will not make it to the game now and  to add to the ones you mention I might add multiplayer, wich has been repeatedly promised over the past year (or two?).

But of even greater concern than the above, is what happens to all the mods maintained by the leaving devs.  Many of the mods they maintain are nearly as responsible for KSP's popularity as the core game. IF they left on bad terms( I have no idea if they did or not)  those mods may be dead as well especially if the license is restrictive.  Crossing my fingers they update their mods for 1.2 at least.  IF they don't 1.2 may be a great stock release but 1.1 will remain the last release that supports some of the greatest mods.

6 hours ago, Jarin said:

Was just a bit of a joke. Noting that they almost never respond directly to community objections regarding business decisions.

:)  NP By stonewalling I was not referring to their lack of communication.  I was actually referring to the Idea you can't see through a stone wall and what is happening on the other side.  Thus you are forced to accept what the guy at the top of the wall is telling you is on the other side.  In other words, they can tell you the truth or not and you can't really argue with what they say.  So by stonewalling I meant when Squad says there will be further development they could be telling the truth or they could be trying to avoid an uproar while they pack up equipment and boxes to shut down development.

This of course is pure speculation bordering on conspiracy theory crap and I imagine someone will scold me for even saying it.  I am not trying to say the above is happening, I was just wanting to know if anyone had a sense if they were stonewalling or not.

Edited by mcirish3

Okay, am I missing something here? I thought there as a way to switch between the different models for engines. Was the intent really to triple the size of the engine list by having 3 variants for everything?

2 hours ago, Jarin said:

Okay, am I missing something here? I thought there as a way to switch between the different models for engines. Was the intent really to triple the size of the engine list by having 3 variants for everything?

It's mentioned in the design sheet that there probably would have been just one part for each engine, like we have now, with a toggle in the right-click menu or something to switch between variants. It apparently never got that far in implementation, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.