[Request] Transforming Kerbal Head Project

theJesuit

2 hours ago, kunok said:

Is someone working on this??

I'm not sure.  I did PM @shaw but I haven't heard - I'm guessing he is quite busy if he is updating Texture Replacer. He may be adding it in to that but again, I have no idea.

Are you offering? :)

Edit - I don't normally hassle, so, my apologies Shaw if the notification bothered you.  A slip of the brain.

Edited by theJesuit
Clarification and apology to the Shaw.

I'm still here, but I don't play KSP (much) any more, and I'm busy with other things ... I kinda lost motivation.

I was investigating how to replace Kerbal model, but didn't get far. First, it's a modelling challenge, because you need to make a model that perfectly matches original Kerbal model regarding node hierarchy, skeleton ... so the animations and ragdoll physics is able to correctly manipulate it. I one tried to replace a kerbonaut with a mechanic and it was a mess, half of the model was missing, there were spikes sticking out of the model and dancing around when it was walking, hands a few metres away ... because skeletons probably didn't match.

Making a replacement for the original Kerbal model is far beyond my skills. First you need a skilled 3D designer to make a new model with perfectly matching node hierarchy and then a modder to somehow import the model into the game. I don't know how to do either.

35 minutes ago, shaw said:

I'm still here, but I don't play KSP (much) any more, and I'm busy with other things ... I kinda lost motivation.

I was investigating how to replace Kerbal model, but didn't get far. First, it's a modelling challenge, because you need to make a model that perfectly matches original Kerbal model regarding node hierarchy, skeleton ... so the animations and ragdoll physics is able to correctly manipulate it. I one tried to replace a kerbonaut with a mechanic and it was a mess, half of the model was missing, there were spikes sticking out of the model and dancing around when it was walking, hands a few metres away ... because skeletons probably didn't match.

Making a replacement for the original Kerbal model is far beyond my skills. First you need a skilled 3D designer to make a new model with perfectly matching node hierarchy and then a modder to somehow import the model into the game. I don't know how to do either.

Thanks for investigating this Shaw, really appreciate your time looking into it.

If only the kerbal head had been modelled separately and just plonked on top!

Perhaps one option for a 3D modeller would be to simply extract the kerbal model and prod it to a shape we would want, but I also seem to remember that this is against the EULA.

Let's hope someone is able to pick it up!  Peace.

On 26/10/2016 at 11:23 PM, theJesuit said:

I'm not sure.  I did PM shaw but I haven't heard - I'm guessing he is quite busy if he is updating Texture Replacer. He may be adding it in to that but again, I have no idea.

Are you offering? :)

Edit - I don't normally hassle, so, my apologies Shaw if the notification bothered you.  A slip of the brain.

I would, but I don't know how to texture nor coding, I have a mod unfinished because it doesn't have textures, and the model is imported from a CAD program, and I didn't have time to learn proper modeling and texturing. I hope I get time soon (TM)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.