Hazards of KSP IRL

Jonfliesgoats

So I am at work, and I check into my hotel to find a poster with a great satellite picture standing before me.  I immediately wanted to go running into a room full of technical Koreans screaming "Hey guys!  I like space stuff too!  Let's talk about your satellite!!".  Then I realized they were probably all meteorologists.  And that I don't speak Korean.  And that I would be interrupting a work event for these folks.  And that I had no useful input.  And that I didn't register for this meeting.

This is first time KSP has presented me with real life challenges.

Edited by Jonfliesgoats

59 hours in 3 days?  Welcome to the ranks of aerospace nerds!

so in your 59 hours, what is the most challenging/rewarding thing you have managed?.  

Also, I was terrible in school.  I didn't get my act together academically until I got to university.  Doing your homework really does pay off, even if it seems sort of pointless.

Edited by Jonfliesgoats

My work life is back on the up swing after having discovered that I can [REDACTED] on the [REDACTED]. But, it is pretty crashy.

I'm glad I'm not at school. I would have introduced some of my school mates to KSP. I did that with a different game, Bridge Builder/Pontifex. Just five or six people... within a couple of weeks the folks in civil engineering were being asked for help, I think there were nearly 30 different requests. Most were the name request made by different people. And, I almost got beaten up by someone's girlfriend for having introduced him to the game. "Pontifex... more like Ponticrack" she said. Sure we were all engineers to be... but...

I shudder to think of what would have happened if KSP had been around then.

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

My biggest RL issue with KSP is that it's such a I'll just do one more test/thing ...

Which has bad influence on my sleeping hours.

Ah, the 4 AM curse.  'Doesn't matter when I fire up the game -- "just gotta make sure the probe can re-enter, and save the lifter for later" ... 4 AM.  Every time.

6 hours ago, Kertech said:

step 3 burn dinner

Step 0: Advise dinner cooking sub team regarding proper booster to invert for use as heating element.

On Topic: Can't say much of any impact other than making much more use of my "on work down time" by applying it to mission planning.  I have so much more of that kind of time lately. Strange to get paid to do nothing for a good portion of a week. But using a spreadsheet at the client office never seems strange. :wink:

Edited by Wallygator

2 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Step 0: Advise dinner cooking sub team regarding proper booster to invert for use as heating element.

I've learned to keep all references to KSP, orbital mechanics or even rockets way out of any conversation (except with fellow nerds and/or my kids).

My SO can detect even the tiniest reference and enter a traditional state of "eyes glazed over - oh here he goes again". :)

So I cook dinner (while planning the next mission silently inside my own head).

I found out that one of my buddies plays KSP. We also happen to go to the bar together regularly so we end up discussing orbital mechanics, mission planning, "what if" hypothetical historical missions with different payloads, etc. All of this at a hillbilly dive bar. We had to explain to the waitress that there is a space station in orbit of the earth right now because she overheard us talking about various crew transfers and resupply missions.

6 hours ago, Wallygator said:

On Topic: Can't say much of any impact other than making much more use of my "on work down time" by applying it to mission planning.  I have so much more of that kind of time lately. Strange to get paid to do nothing for a good portion of a week. But using a spreadsheet at the client office never seems strange. :wink:

Stop giving the game away. They might hear you...

23 hours ago, Jovus said:

My biggest issue with KSP is that it's forcing me to switch from a Physics PhD program to the Applied Physics and Mechanical Engineering PhD program so I can work on rockets.

Way to go, Jovus!  The actual work of fielding a new aerospace system, be it a rocket, airframe, accessory or even a procedure requires a lot of slow, tedious work.  Watching one of your projects at work, regardless of what role you play in the development process, is still a thrill.

I am genuinely excited KSP got you fired up enough to do this!  

I just landed in Guam, and this made morning,

8 minutes ago, softweir said:

FIFY

Make that "meat eating" and I'll accept it.  Seriously though I almost put "real life poodle."  And actually that was a rather specific example of a broader problem, whenever I swear at the computer, I end up having to take time away from my gaming to assure my dogs I'm mad at the computer not them (they probably think I'm insane at such times yelling at the big flat light bulb from which strange sounds sometimes emerge).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.