[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 minutes ago, rspeed said:

I recall long ago when the Kethane mod added a part called the "blender" which would allow you to convert kerbals to fuel. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

But that is called "cannibalism", my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

But it's still something that's been known to occur - even with people from civilized societies - under extreme circumstances when no other food was available...

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

But it's still something that's been known to occur - even with people from civilized societies - under extreme circumstances when no other food was available...

And, if some dimly remembered research is being recalled correctly, has happened in nearly every society in history at one point or another.  Usually not in all parts of a society, but in some small part of nearly all of them.

9 hours ago, Lancezh said:

Just start a new game and try it out, it's so easily to reproduce if you have a problem, at least test it a little bit by hiring 10-20.

Chances are not dependent on each other, you hiring now the 6th Kerbal was another 50% chance, so will be the next. It doesnt mean anything.

Yep, I remember my theory of probabilities. I just don't have the time or desire for experiments right now (and it's not too big an issue), but I'll try to test it some time later.

27 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

There have certainly been cases in my most recent career save where eating a scientist would have saved the mission...

...And this is why I always over-engineer everything or give my ships a backup RGU (unless you are playing on hardcore death mode).

3 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Hey all, I poked around github a bit but didn't see where to get the pre-release, can somebody point me in the right direction? I assume it is just a drag and drop install.

It's in the USI Constellation release, under /bobpalmer instead of /umbraspaceindustries.

22 hours ago, sh1pman said:

I have a fun MKS question. (Or is it a fun KAS question? I'm not really sure). Basically, if I attach a heavy module (like Tundra 3.75 Kerbitat) to another base module with KAS, everything seems normal at first. But when I reload the scene, the heavy module becomes horribly bent and shifted from its original position, but still attached to its parent. So... has anyone encountered this? Any tips?

Autostruts don't help at all, sadly.

Sorry for quoting myself, but this glitch is really annoying. So, has anyone else experienced it?

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Sorry for quoting myself, but this glitch is really annoying. So, has anyone else experienced it?

Only thing I've seen similar to what you're describing was fairing shifting, and they tend to shift back next time I load.  Do you have pics?  A log file?

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

What I want to know is why you decided to stuff a 3.75m kerbitat into a KIS container instead of moving it around as-is. That's probably why you haven't got anyone else saying they are getting it.

Just now, DStaal said:

Only thing I've seen similar to what you're describing was fairing shifting, and they tend to shift back next time I load.  Do you have pics?  A log file?

Not atm. I can make some pics tomorrow though. It's pretty consistent.

Just now, voicey99 said:

What I want to know is why you decided to stuff a 3.75m kerbitat into a KIS container instead of moving it around as-is. That's probably why you haven't got anyone else saying they are getting it.

I didn't stuff it into a KIS container, I used a PAL rover with forklift and crane. Then I just attached it to another module with an engineer on EVA using KAS.

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I didn't stuff it into a KIS container, I used a PAL rover with forklift and crane. Then I just attached it to another module with an engineer on EVA using KIS.

...I forgot that. Sorry. Still,I think it might be something to do with the automatic caps on the end to connect different diameter parts causing clipping, but that's just a wild guess. Maybe use construction ports instead? Or maybe it's the parts just being too large for KIS to handle correctly?

Edited by voicey99

Just now, voicey99 said:

...I forgot that. Sorry. Still,I think it might be something to do with the automatic caps on the end to connect different diameter parts causing clipping, but that's just a wild guess. Maybe use construction ports instead?

Also happens with 3.75m round containers, especially if I put something heavy into them before reloading the scene. 

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Also happens with 3.75m round containers, especially if I put something heavy into them before reloading the scene. 

Try testing out attaching a fully laden S3-14400 to something to see if it's just big and heavy parts in general that KIS doesn't like.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Try testing out attaching a fully laden S3-14400 to something to see if it's just big and heavy parts in general that KIS doesn't like.

Ok. Also, it happens on Eve, doesn't happen on Gilly, happens a little bit on the Mun. Gravity-related somehow?

also, there's no way you can attach an S3-14400 with KIS, it's too heavy even for the PAL forklift.

Edited by sh1pman

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Ok. Also, it happens on Eve, doesn't happen on Gilly, happens a little bit on the Mun. Gravity-related somehow?

I don't use KIS for anything more than bolting on forgotten solar panels and antennas, so I couldn't tell you. Give it a go with gravity hacked to some absurdly low value.

Edited by voicey99

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I don't use KIS for anything more than bolting on forgotten solar panels and antennae, so I couldn't tell you. Give it a go with gravity hacked to some absurdly low value.

It's handy for building bases in situ with OSE. I'm using OSE for it until there is a way to manufacture DIY kits with MKS.

Edited by sh1pman

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

It's handy for building bases in situ with OSE.

No offworld construction to be found here, I always ship everything from the KSC (A: Because I haven't ever been arsed to learn how to use GC/OSE and B: I like the realism challenge. I don't trust field mechanics to build a very delicate spacecraft with suspiciously generic resources). When I do stick larger things together (e.g. stations) it's with the comparatively more reliable construction ports.

Just now, voicey99 said:

No offworld construction to be found here, I always ship everything from the KSC (A: Because I haven't ever been arsed to learn how to use GC/OSE and B: I like the realism challenge. I don't trust field mechanics to build a very delicate spacecraft with suspiciously generic resources). When I do stick larger things together (e.g. stations) it's with the comparatively more reliable construction ports.

I see. Well, maybe in the future we will be able to manufacture complex devices and vehicles using 3D-printers or robots or something like that.

Just now, sh1pman said:

I see. Well, maybe in the future we will be able to manufacture complex devices and vehicles using 3D-printers or robots or something like that.

Anything is possible when you give a robot the same stuff you use to inflate space balloons.

17 hours ago, funkcanna said:

Hi - ive spent the last few hours searching online for the answer but I cannot find it.  When I'm using the Material Processing Unit, what do the C1, C2, C3 buttons mean?  Like in the first C1 button it says for example: Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G)    What does this mean?

For future reference, try the Wiki.  This specific question is answered in the FAQ:

Q. I see an option to change a converter for a module that says "B1 Cultivate(S)=>Cultivate(D)". What exactly does that mean?

A. Most ranger parts can only be one kind of a converter at a time. If you want to change from one kind of converter to another, you have to "re-tool" all of the machines inside. So, the part before the arrow ("=>") is showing what mode the part is currently in (in this example, a substrate-based cultivator) and part after the arrow shows what the next option is (in your example, a dirt-based cultivator). Clicking on the previous and next B1 buttons will change the second part based on the available options. When you have the desired new second part, click the first button. Note that in the VAB/SPH, clicking this button changes it for free, but any changes made after it has been launched will cost material kits.

Hi, sorry for maybe a dumb question: What is needed for planetary logistics to work? I've tried reading wiki & KSPedia, spend several hours trial and error but got working only local logistics. Can someone please give me an example of what parts (kerbals?) I need to get a working planetary logistics with unmanned driller and manned base? I am using "current stable" from ckan 0.50.18 (or do I need different version?). Thx for reply

3 minutes ago, Glubo said:

Hi, sorry for maybe a dumb question: What is needed for planetary logistics to work? I've tried reading wiki & KSPedia, spend several hours trial and error but got working only local logistics. Can someone please give me an example of what parts (kerbals?) I need to get a working planetary logistics with unmanned driller and manned base? I am using "current stable" from ckan 0.50.18 (or do I need different version?). Thx for reply

For push: an ISRU (I think), or a logistics center + pilot or quartermaster.  For pull: a logistics center + pilot or quatermaster.  Storage needs to be attached.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

For push: an ISRU (I think), or a logistics center + pilot or quartermaster.  For pull: a logistics center + pilot or quatermaster.  Storage needs to be attached.

Thanks man, ISRU on the push probe was the thing I was missing. This helped me a lot.