[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Somewhat ironic now Irish has gone and made the Karbonite req part of the main mod anyway, rendering it entirely pointless :P.

It's never pointless to learn something new. :wink:

Edited by N3N

37 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Also looking for a way to declutter the MKS folder-besides moving some of the patches to their own folder, would it be safe to shift around some of the icons (Kolony.png etc.) or remove/strip down some of the old patches dedicated to UKS/OKS, since the parts they are referencing no longer exist? MKSMFT.cfg also appears to serve no purpose, being blank :huh:

There are many blank ".cfg" in the USI/MKS mods and they give Error messages at the beginning of MM.

Edited by N3N

1 minute ago, N3N said:

There are many blank ".cfg" in the USI/MKS mods and they give Error messages at the beginning of MM.

The OKS_DRE.cfg and ATM.cfg files also both also refer to UKS, which doesn't exist any more, and so, as far as I can see, are just sitting around extending the load time. Looks like there's some housekeeping to do.

40 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Also looking for a way to declutter the MKS folder-besides moving some of the patches to their own folder, would it be safe to shift around some of the icons (Kolony.png etc.) or remove/strip down some of the old patches dedicated to UKS/OKS, since the parts they are referencing no longer exist? MKSMFT.cfg also appears to serve no purpose, being blank :huh:

Moving configs to patches, sure.  Moving icons would be a code change (easy enough to see where).  And always happy to get PR's for stuff that has changed over the years :)

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Moving configs to patches, sure.  Moving icons would be a code change (easy enough to see where).  And always happy to get PR's for stuff that has changed over the years :)

Hey @RoverDude,

what is you opinion on this patches:

Do you want PRs for them, too?

And is this the right place for PRs for USI/MKS stuff?

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation

Edited by N3N

Also - I agree with @DStaal - Karbonite capabilities on MKS drills should only be there if Karbonite is present, given that Karbonite (the mod) is separate from MKS.  No different than you can see KSPI resources being harvestable, but there are no tools to harvest them included with MKS given that MKS does not use said resources.

@N3N - would need to take a look, but see the note above.  If they were to merge into the main mod, they should only light up if Karbonite is installed (pinging @TheRagingIrishman as well so we're on the same page).

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Also - I agree with @DStaal - Karbonite capabilities on MKS drills should only be there if Karbonite is present, given that Karbonite (the mod) is separate from MKS.  No different than you can see KSPI resources being harvestable, but there are no tools to harvest them included with MKS given that MKS does not use said resources.

@N3N - would need to take a look, but see the note above.  If they were to merge into the main mod, they should only light up if Karbonite is installed (pinging @TheRagingIrishman as well so we're on the same page).

Yes,

that is what I did from the start. :wink:

And is this the right place for PRs for USI/MKS stuff?

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation

Just now, RoverDude said:

The ATM.cfg refers to UmbraSpaceIndustries/UKS-should this be deleted or redirected to /MKS? If it doesn't work now it would seem MKS has managed perfectly fine without ATM.

I'll edit the .cs files as well to accommodate the asset sorting.

Just now, RoverDude said:

I modified the file a bit to make the drills have low output, very low power efficiency Karbonite settings (in that they can mine Karbonite, but the dedicated drills can do it much better). I'll add the Karbonite settings directly to the cfg under MODULE:NEEDS[Karbonite] so it only shows up with Karbonite (no need for a separate patch file).

6 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I modified the file a bit to make the drills have low output, very low power efficiency Karbonite settings (in that they can mine Karbonite, but the dedicated drills can do it much better). I'll add the Karbonite settings directly to the cfg under MODULE:NEEDS[Karbonite] so it only shows up with Karbonite (no need for a separate patch file).

I still think this is not the best way...

Because I did the patches first, because there were no bigger Karbonite drills, so making them now less efficient is counterproductive!

If there are no bigger Karbonite drills, then I don't think the MKS drills should be less efficient, more EC hungry Ok.

And where should the PRs go?

And where can I see the changes you want to make, @voicey99 ?

Edited by N3N

7 minutes ago, N3N said:

I still think this is not the best way...

Because I did the patches first, because there were no bigger Karbonite drills, so making them now less efficient is counterproductive!

If there are no bigger Karbonite drills, then I don't think the MKS drills should be less efficient, more EC hungry Ok.

Remember each drill has multiple bits, and the stuff specified in the cfg is per bit (an MEU-100 has one bit, a 500 has three and an ISM has five). The big drills are less efficient but equal in energy use than for the rest of the modes they have, but an ISM operating at the new reduced efficiency will still produce as much as 7.5 dedicated Ka drills if set to full Ka. I'm trying to scale it with mass (compared to the DRT-40) here, and even then it's generous.

Edited by voicey99

28 minutes ago, DStaal said:

ATM can be deprecated since it never updated to 1.1...

I'm looking and wow, is there a lot of old stuff in the USI folders! References to Mk3 parts and UKS, empty files, old mods.....

I just have to be careful with these part names since I wasn't around when many of these old bits were in the game so I have to try and tell what's old based on it's name and hope I don't break anything current.

While I'm at it I'll merge the Karbonite patch (don't worry, it's still useful as I explained) into the main cfg and also put the Rock modes on the drills behind a requirement for ART.

Edited by voicey99

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Remember each drill has multiple bits, and the stuff specified in the cfg is per bit (an MEU-100 has one bit, a 500 has three and an ISM has five). The big drills are less efficient but equal in energy use than for the rest of the modes they have, but an ISM operating at the new reduced efficiency will still produce as much as 7.5 dedicated Ka drills if set to full Ka. I'm trying to scale it with mass (compared to the DRT-40) here, and even then it's generous.

Yes, I understand and I will try your config. :wink:

I tried balancing it with the mass, too, but I saw that the other resources weren't so balanced with it.

For example that the Dirt is much higher and now all other resources, too.

I wanted to try to make the normal Karbonite drills obsolete, because I think we don't need even more drills, if we have the very good and "multi-purpose" MKS drills. :wink: (just saying... :P )

Thank you for your hard work, it's nice to see that we can all together make great mods, even better! :wink:

Can you write me, where I can make PRs and help even more with USI/MKS?

And maybe see your other changes, so we can work better together. :wink:

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

I'm looking and wow, is there a lot of old stuff in the USI folders! References to Mk3 parts and UKS, empty files, old mods.....

I just have to be careful with these part names since I wasn't around when many of these old bits were in the game so I have to try and tell what's old based on it's name and hope I don't break anything current.

While I'm at it I'll merge the Karbonite patch (don't worry, it's still useful as I explained) into the main cfg and also put the Rock modes on the drills behind a requirement for ART.

Yes, I saw that, too and began designing possible changes, but didn't know, where I can propose them.

>>> And please think again about the Karborundum drills, see:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/230

Edited by N3N

Is anybody having problems with resorces disappearing on the Planetary Logistcs? When switching between bases on minimus, my suplies and organics just disappear. I've checked and it'snt been pushed to the bases. I'm using ranger's Storage modules and it can't fit the all amount of suplies that vanished (something like 35.000 units). 

Edited by Danilo Coelho
gramatical mistake

1 hour ago, N3N said:

Thank you for your hard work, it's nice to see that we can all together make great mods, even better! :wink:

Can you write me, where I can make PRs and help even more with USI/MKS?

And maybe see your other changes, so we can work better together. :wink:

Yes, I saw that, too and began designing possible changes, but didn't know, where I can propose them.

Slightly cheesy way of putting it, but sure. If you have something to contribute feel free to work with me or any of the other great people in this thread on it.

Submit pull requests to the relevant USI mod repository (they are being migrated over to /umbraspaceindustries right now so some may still be under /bobpalmer). I'll handle the cleanup and the Ka-related PR stuff (see next paragraph) but go ahead and submit any further changes you want to make (if they're drastic run them past us first).

1 hour ago, N3N said:

Yes, I understand and I will try your config. :wink:

I tried balancing it with the mass, too, but I saw that the other resources weren't so balanced with it.

For example that the Dirt is much higher and now all other resources, too.

I wanted to try to make the normal Karbonite drills obsolete, because I think we don't need even more drills, if we have the very good and "multi-purpose" MKS drills. :wink: (just saying... :P )

>>> And please think again about the Karborundum drills, see:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/230

Actually all the production scales perfectly with drill mass-the MEU-500 produces (in total) 6x as much as the MEU-100, so it weighs 6x as much. The reason the dirt and rock modes produce masses more stuff is because of the huge amount you need of both and the fact it doesn't really make sense to only be able to dig up dirt at the same rate as what is presumed to be an iridium/platinum/osmium/etc. mix. I'll add in the Ka+ mode after all with the same efficiency as the Ka mode, but the regular Ka drills should not be rendered obsolete because I still see them as able to do their job better (i.e. more power-efficiently) than their multipurpose counterparts (kinda a ten-of-all-trades rather than a jack). Still, it should be reasonably easy to make a new and upscaled version of the original drill if there is a call for it after this.

(aaaand the forum formatting ate my post)

Edited by voicey99

On 27/01/2017 at 11:07 PM, voicey99 said:

Assuming you mean a Github PR, you click the button labelled "fork"-this will clone the repo to your account. Then, open the file you want to change in your fork and click edit-when you've finished, click "commit changes". Now, go into the main MKS repo and click "New Pull Request". Now click "compare across forks" and select your fork from the dropdown, and it will bring up a list of the changes (commits) you've made. Select the relevant commit(s) and finish making the req.

^^^Like that. However, I prefer to use a program for this called Github Desktop that makes this easier-if you download GHD and then click 'open in desktop' on the main page of your forked repo it will clone it to your hard drive and let you make changes to it offline without having to make a commit for every single change (it will automatically detect any changes you made to the cloned repo and auto-add them into a tidy commit for you). This means you can test out your changes better and don't spam dozens of commits.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

^^^Like that. However, I prefer to use a program for this called Github Desktop that makes this easier-if you download GHD and then click 'open in desktop' on the main page of your forked repo it will clone it to your hard drive and let you make changes to it offline without having to make a commit for every single change (it will automatically detect any changes you made to the cloned repo and auto-add them into a tidy commit for you). This means you can test out your changes better and don't spam dozens of commits.

Thank you!

I'm trying it out right now. :wink:

This are the original Repos, right?

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite

-----

Do you have an estimation how long you will need to make your RPs or where I can see your changes?

So that we don't work at the same changes... :P

(For example, you are working on this right? https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/230 )

(So I will see what here is possible: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/241 )

A quick note on GitHub PRs: By default you'll fork and make PRs on the 'main' branch of the repository - which is fine for most mods, but RoverDude prefers you to work on the 'Develop' branch.  It's not hard to switch, in either the web or whatever tool you're using - but it's good to make sure you get it right to make it easier for RoverDude.

1 minute ago, N3N said:

Thank you!

I'm trying it out right now. :wink:

This are the original Repos, right?

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite

-----

Do you have an estimation how long you will need to make your RPs or where I can see your changes?

So that we don't work at the same changes... :P

(For example, you are working on this right? https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/230 )

(So I will see what here is possible: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/241 )

Yep. I'm currently working on integrating the Ka/Ka+ drill patch and shuffling some files around into new folders, so hold off on that for now in case you get conflicts. It looks like I cloned the master fork to work on instead of the dev fork (which is ahead of master) so I've got conflicts myself. I'm going to have to copypaste it all across and do it again.

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I'm pretty sure that harvesting nodes(and probably sifting dirt) produces Karbonite even without a Karbonite mod installed.

I have seen karbonite accumulate in my ISMs set to hold fuel, and I have not yet tried out the Karbnoite mods.

Accumulation is pretty slow and it does not hurt anything to have it there, so I have just been ignoring it, but I am pretty sure MKS *Can* generate Karbonite without the mods that let you use it.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

A quick note on GitHub PRs: By default you'll fork and make PRs on the 'main' branch of the repository - which is fine for most mods, but RoverDude prefers you to work on the 'Develop' branch.  It's not hard to switch, in either the web or whatever tool you're using - but it's good to make sure you get it right to make it easier for RoverDude.

OK, that's what i thought about.

That should be right now:

https://github.com/R-Tancredi/Karbonite/tree/DEVELOP

https://github.com/R-Tancredi/MKS/tree/DEVELOP

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Yep. I'm currently working on integrating the Ka/Ka+ drill patch and shuffling some files around into new folders, so hold off on that for now in case you get conflicts. It looks like I cloned the master fork to work on instead of the dev fork (which is ahead of master) so I've got conflicts myself. I'm going to have to copypaste it all across and do it again.

OK, good, that are the things, that I wanted to change first, too. :wink:

So I will wait, before doing something in the MKS repo.

Just write me when your done or you are ready to show it to me. :wink:

So then I can see what else I can do.

And for now I will see, what we can do for this: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/issues/241

3 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I'm pretty sure that harvesting nodes(and probably sifting dirt) produces Karbonite even without a Karbonite mod installed.

I have seen karbonite accumulate in my ISMs set to hold fuel, and I have not yet tried out the Karbnoite mods.

Accumulation is pretty slow and it does not hurt anything to have it there, so I have just been ignoring it, but I am pretty sure MKS *Can* generate Karbonite without the mods that let you use it.

As has been mentioned, Ka is from the CRP and so is defined whether or not the Karbonite mod is installed. It's probably an omnipurpose sifter.

@N3N Slow down a bit. One thing at a time (I think having multiple fuel modes on the torch drive is more complex than just editing a cfg file, anyway-leave that to RD if he want to)-I don't use Karbonite very much so I don't really know how everything works.

Edited by voicey99

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Slow down a bit. One thing at a time (I think having multiple fuel modes on the torch drive is more complex than just editing a cfg file, anyway-leave that to RD if he want to)-I don't use Karbonite very much so I don't really know how everything works.

OK, sorry, I just wanted to do something productive. :P

And thought it may be a cool project. :wink:

So that the next USI release will be even greater. :P

Can I help you somewhere else than?