Error Accessing This Save- Argument cannot be null

I was about to launch a ship when my windows 10 gave me a blue screen of death. Before and after doing the pre-launch timewarp I quicksaved. After the BSOD I attempted to load the save file when it gave me an error: "Error accessing this file". The line underneath read "Argument cannot be null". Is there a way to load the quicksave or restore the file? thanks.

Hi @HYDRAGENT, very likely your save is corrupted, but don't worry, you have a backups folder in each save folder, you can replace the persistent.sfs with the last backup or the quicksave to continue your game.

To deal with the bsod you can use the Windows event viewer to find the stop code, that will tell you what caused the issue.

11 hours ago, HYDRAGENT said:

@sal_vager I see the quicksave, but how do I continue from there? I'm thinking I need to delete persistent.sfs but I'm not sure.

If you rename the persistent.sfs to persistent.sfs.bak (in case you want to keep it) you can then make a copy of the quicksave.sfs and rename the copy to persistent.sfs, it should load fine after that.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:35 AM, sal_vager said:

If you rename the persistent.sfs to persistent.sfs.bak (in case you want to keep it) you can then make a copy of the quicksave.sfs and rename the copy to persistent.sfs, it should load fine after that.

what about the .loadmeta files? I renamed my quicksave to persistent and im still getting that error.

Edited by HYDRAGENT

Feel free to delete those, they just contain some info about each save so the resume game screen loads faster.

If you still have errors then it may be another save causing the problem, if you have more than one save try moving the save folders to the desktop one at a time until you can load games again, if you only have the one save then the quicksave may also be corrupted, and you should try a backup.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.